Ford Mustang Forum banner

Why would you buy the Brembo Brake option?

14K views 109 replies 47 participants last post by  lup1024 
#1 ·
Ok... I know Brembo is top of the line breaks but I really have to ask if it's worth $1600?

I think it would be cool to have a Mustang with Brembo's because usally the high end cars come with Brembo's. Adds to the coolness factor.

The wheels are pretty nice that come with the package but many of the other wheels are just as nice.

#2 ·
I would like to know as well. I think it's a coolness factor more than anything like you said. I don't think there is much of a difference in 60-0. If the base brakes are the same as the 2010 GT the 60-0 is 108 ft according to Motor trend.
There may be less fade with the brembos during continuous braking in a track situation.
Seem like a pretty good deal though. If you wanted to upgrade after you got the car I think it would cost much more. Too late for me, I got the base model without that option.

#51 ·
Hi Guys...

I didn't bother reading all of the responses but, Ask yourself these questions: Are you a performance driver? Will you be going to a road course track? (not a drag track) Do you live near mountains or "the canyon".

If any of these answers is yes..i would say yes worth the money.

If the answers are no..and you are just buying them for the "cool factor" hey thats personal choice. You cant fault someones personal taste.

But if the answers are no (for me) i would look at other options.

On the other hand, if i were buying an 11..the answers two at least one (if not 2) would be a yes so id have the Brembos.

Regarding the suspension...a couple months ago someone got a hold of a parts list. The Bremb equipped cars definaly had different suspension parts so its more than just a re-tuned suspension. Actually there were about 7 or 8 different sets ups depending on coupe/convertible/v8/v6/brembo etc.

We can dig it up if anyone wants to review that thread.

I would like to know as well. I think it's a coolness factor more than anything like you said. I don't think there is much of a difference in 60-0. If the base brakes are the same as the 2010 GT the 60-0 is 108 ft according to Motor trend.
There may be less fade with the brembos during continuous braking in a track situation.
Seem like a pretty good deal though. If you wanted to upgrade after you got the car I think it would cost much more. Too late for me, I got the base model without that option.
+1 both sets will stop you about the same..ONCE. (maybe twice (jk)), if you are going to be on those breaks over and over and heat them up, the standard breaks would be a liability.

Also, someone "correct me if i am wrong" (cab, haha) but dont all Premium Mustang GTs have "sport" mode and not just the brembo equipped?

Thats how it was on the 10s..you got sport mode on the Premiums, didnt have to go to the track pack to get it...it was just retuned for the larger breaks, better tires and SVT suspension parts. Dont flame me but i think thats correct..if you got a premium, you got the sport mode.

#3 ·
If you plan to drag race you don't want the Brembo kit. The standard brakes will stop the car just fine for 1/4 mile racing and normal street driving. The standard are lighter. The larger brakes are for mostly round track racing where the standard would fade much faster. You will need something other than those 19" wheels to mount sticky tires for drag racing so why pay money for them.

#8 ·
Like Floridafordguy said, "you can never have too much brakes", and yes they do stop you in a hurry. I also like the tougher suspension, especially on curves. Well worth the money, I will never rear end anyone. But the draw back is, the guy behind you will never be able to stop as fast as you can and you will get rear ended, but it will be his fault. :doh:

#11 ·
Like Floridafordguy said, "you can never have too much brakes", and yes they do stop you in a hurry. I also like the tougher suspension, especially on curves. Well worth the money, I will never rear end anyone. But the draw back is, the guy behind you will never be able to stop as fast as you can and you will get rear ended, but it will be his fault. :doh:
The stock brakes can lock up the tires... if you can lock up the tires, yoiu have enough brakes for driving; anything bigger will still lock up the tires. The only advantage is more heat absorbing surfaces to change one type of energy into another, ie, many times in a row track braking. Given that, the Brembos lasted about 4 laps with me until I began getting fad; I suppose the stocks would give you a couple laps (2.3 miles and 11 turns).

Day to day driving and being able to stop in an emergency, the stock brakes are more than enough.

But including the tuning, the sports mode, the rims and the low end Brembo brake package, the $1600 is totally worth it.

#9 ·
I love twisty roads and the brembo package is basically this year's track pack. The wheels are cool looking and I wanted to try stickier summer tires. This is strictly a fun car for me, not a Daily Driver.

If this was my daily driver I would not get the Brembo package.

#10 ·
I am in absolute love with my Brembo GT. I have no frame of reference, since I haven't compared with the non-Brembo head-to-head, but I have never seen a car that will brake like this one does. It is truly unbelievable. It is as impressive at stopping as that sweet engine is at "going". CRAZY good brakes. Could care less about the wheels, but they are pretty.

#12 ·
I think the $1600 for the Brembo package is a far, far better deal than the Electronics package @ $2100 or the glass roof at $2000.

I'm not a huge fan of the wheels and honestly the brakes aren't all that great, but all combined it's probably the only must-have option on this car. Resale on the brembo cars will be most certainly higher too....

#13 ·
I think the $1600 for the Brembo package is a far, far better deal than the Electronics package @ $2100 or the glass roof at $2000.

I'm not a huge fan of the wheels and honestly the brakes aren't all that great, but all combined it's probably the only must-have option on this car. Resale on the brembo cars will be most certainly higher too....
I don't know, even with having the Brembo package... how often do I stop, multiple times 60-0? But we and the kids look out the top all the time and everything that came with the electronics package we use everyday... we love them both and think they are TOTALLY worth it.

#14 ·
I wanted the best engine, the best brakes, the best tires and the best suspension. Period. The additional things you get with the Brembo package, as has been said,make the price an absolute bargain. I don't even like the wheels...

#15 ·
I don't remember where I read this, but some professional did a test on the G8 with Brembo's vs standard brakes, and the standard brakes stopped just as good. After repetitive use, I'm sure Brembo's take the medal, but who tracks their car anyway?

I too thought about getting the option, only because of the re-tuned suspension, strut bar, rims, etc, but I can spend that money on flashing the car and adding an exhaust+intake and still have the car stop as good. I'll just upgrade the pads to Hawk HPS.

Also, didn't they increase the size of the rotors on non-Brembos for 2011 vs 2010 ?

-Darryl

#16 ·
To me the wheels look the best.

I also liked getting summer tires out-of-the-gate and not having to wait 'till I consumed all-season tires. We'll see how they do for tread life. My last performance rear-drive chewed through three sets of rears for every set of front tires.

The other elements of that option are fine, but I hardly use the brakes, so that isn't a big plus for me.

#19 ·
I love the wheels and improved braking and suspension is nice to have living in the hill country where I am. It's a great option for the money.

#23 ·
The tires and wheels are a big plus. The tires being larger(255 vs. 245) and very sticky are a large part of why it corners as it does compared to the GT with base 19" wheels. The wheels are also larger so you could most likely mount wider rear tires if you wanted. All in all a great bang for your buck. Whether you will utilize the difference is up to you..

#25 ·
someone said "re-tuned suspension" i think the suspension is the same, it is just electronic tuning and also includes the strut tower brace (the stock 5.0 engine bay looks naked without it IMO)

also, i am dying to know the official rim width on the 19" brembo wheels. ford spec says 9" but some have said that outside lip to outside lip is closer to 10"...reason is i wanted to know if i could safely squeeze 275 or 285 width tires on these?

if anyone knows please PM me as to not hijack this thread

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
All cars with 19" wheels get the strut brace. But it's only $150 or so, so easy to add.

Wheels are measured from the interior bead surfaces, not the lip.

How to Measure Wheel Width | eHow.com

IIRC, the Brembo cars get some different bushings and perhaps damper rates.

There is always a few on forums who think they know it all and have to make sly remarks when someone ask a legitimate question.

With a statement like this: "if you have to ask, then it's not worth it", you are one of them.

loldude. He's asking anonymous people on the internet whether or not a particular piece of hardware adds value to his particular car in his particular hands.

It would seem logical to use all the information he provides in an effort to help him, including the fact that he's asking the question. I even explained why I was giving the advice I was giving.

I am obviously a total *******, because the truly correct answer is that none of us have any idea what's best for him, and therefore any and all advice is misleading by definition.

#28 ·
I'll be honest. I wanted them and they are worth the money. You'll pay a lot more to upgrade the regular brakes later to something as good. I ordered a car with brembos and 3.73s. Got tired of waiting and found one on the lot with the colors I wanted and 3.73. Didn't have the brembos though.

#30 ·
loldude. He's asking anonymous people on the internet whether or not a particular piece of hardware adds value to his particular car in his particular hands.

It would seem logical to use all the information he provides in an effort to help him, including the fact that he's asking the question. I even explained why I was giving the advice I was giving.

I am obviously a total *******, because the truly correct answer is that none of us have any idea what's best for him, and therefore any and all advice is misleading by definition.
And rather than apologizing to Drober you continue to justify your obnoxiousness. And laugh about it. Like I said there are a few. You are one!

#35 ·
Apologize for what? For observing that he didn't spend a lot of time with overheated brakes?

Next time I'll use more emoticons, but I can't figure out which one conveys the proper level of "dude, I'm just trying to give the best answer for your particular situation."

Meanwhile for those whose primary interest in Brembos is 19" wheels, strut brace and summer tires, there is also the stand alone $900 option of 19" wheels.

[insert nonjudgmental emoticon here]

#33 ·
For me, I decided against the Brembo Pkg. for several reasons. I need all season tires for cold weather driving, and some of the roads around here aren't the greatest, so the 50-series 18" tires and slightly less stiff suspension work better. I drive in pretty remote areas sometimes, so a spare tire is a must.

Plus, I find that the stock brakes work great on the street, and the car handles very well. No track time for me, so I bought what works for my needs.

#34 ·
Can someone show me where it says 'revised suspension' on the brembo package. I can't find anything about different springs, roll bars, or dampening?

I though this was sticky summer tires, strut tower brace and bigger/better brakes.

:headscratch:

#52 ·
Gashog
Just so you know i bet if you were to check a 2011 GT mustang that come stock with the 18" rims you see that the lower control Arms are
black the BOSS 302 lower control are sliver the GT500 are sliver the brembo GT mustang are sliver they have harder bushings in them than the stock black arms do that just one thing. I bet there more stuff that not the same on base GT as to brembo GT . What they say they are doing on that page you posted and what they are realy doing is two diff. things

At lease that what i'am thinking but i mite be wrong

#53 ·
Looks like Brembo will be with Ford for awhile.

"The Ford Motor Company has included Brembo SpA in its global Aligned Business Framework (ABF), a list of suppliers selected by the US corporation with the long term objective of developing a business rapport based on partnership and even closer cooperation."

Press release is on Brembo - Brake systems Dated 9/2/10

#54 ·
WOW, what a debate over the Brembo's. I bought them because I road race on tracks like mid-ohio, Lime rock, Sebring and Firebird International raceway. They resist fade under high temperature, stop shorter in panic situations and yes, delete the weight of a spare tire. The suspension calibration is also more track friendly as is the traction from the 19" Pirelli's.

I am not a fashion guy that says "oh the rims look good, I need them." I am a performance guy who tests the limits of the equipment. Do not waste your money if you are buying these for fashion, there are many other parts to add the bling factor from the aftermarket for less money.

If you are into serious performance order the Brembo package with 3.73's. Add some after market parts and have fun!

The Brembo package is for serious racing enthusiasts who will actually test the limits of the equipment. If you will never go on a track or take the car to 8 tenths on a canyon run, save your $$$. Just my opinion.

#66 ·
WOW, what a debate over the Brembo's. I bought them because I road race on tracks like mid-ohio, Lime rock, Sebring and Firebird International raceway. They resist fade under high temperature, stop shorter in panic situations and yes, delete the weight of a spare tire. The suspension calibration is also more track friendly as is the traction from the 19" Pirelli's.

I am not a fashion guy that says "oh the rims look good, I need them." I am a performance guy who tests the limits of the equipment. Do not waste your money if you are buying these for fashion, there are many other parts to add the bling factor from the aftermarket for less money.

If you are into serious performance order the Brembo package with 3.73's. Add some after market parts and have fun!

The Brembo package is for serious racing enthusiasts who will actually test the limits of the equipment. If you will never go on a track or take the car to 8 tenths on a canyon run, save your $$$. Just my opinion.
I'm sure the Brembos resist fade better than the stockers but where's the link that says the brembo's have a shorter stopping distance in panic situations than the stock brakes?
If you didn't get the brembos and don't want the extra weight of the spare, take it out :spineyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.