What's your average MPG? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Ok, thanks gspyer! So is it worth it to take a V6 then or not? I'm gonna save what 10/15 bucks on a full tank of gas compares to a V8?

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

i've gotten 20.5 and then 17.5 mpg on my first two complete tanks. i did not count the tank i had when i picked it up bc i did nothing but start it up, let it idle, rev it up for people to hear and what not.

it hasnt been broken in though so we will see how it goes in a few thousand miles

Apprentice

Stock, the V6 looks like it gets 6 more MPG than the V8 under similar driving conditions. Having the V6, I think the only reason to get a V6 is how many miles you put on it a week. I put 500+ miles a week. This is definitely a daily driver for me.

Using regular gas ($3/gal in California), this works out to be about $12 a week or about $624 a year.

It depends how much that $520 means to you. It wasn't just the gas that's a big deal to me. It was the fact with all the miles I put on the car, it's going to last me 4 years. And that assumes I don't go on road trips. I don't keep any car past 100k.

Your insurance will be slightly less with the V6. Not by much especially if you are older, only maybe a hundred or two. People have reported that the V6 Nissan 370Z costs more than a V8 Mustang.

I work in a dot-com, so I can afford a better Stang. If I was to get a job closer to home, I would trade this in a heartbeat. But as it is now, it's far better deal for me to drive a base model auto V6 and trick out the mileage.

To get the 34 MPG, I added lighter wheels: 255/45/18 (22lbs rims I think), K&N, and Bama Tune. I really only get that when a cop is around and I am forced to drive slow.

Apprentice
S197 Member

Computer mileage less than actual

I zero trip mileage and mpg when I refill -- I also divide miles on tankful by gallons from pump and find that the estimated average (usually about 20.5) is less than actual average of 21.5.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

V8 auto, I drive 95% highway 40 miles each way every day to work and back. This was through 2 tanks. Always use Premium 93 and only at the stations around here who do not add ethanol (they have to sticker the pumps).

Rookie

Averaged 17.5mpg over three tanks of gas with 1700 miles on car. V8 with MT and 3.55 axle. Probably 75% city driving.

2011 Race Red GT Premium, 6spd MT with Brembo package and painted black Lemans stripes
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspyer View Post
Stock, the V6 looks like it gets 6 more MPG than the V8 under similar driving conditions. Having the V6, I think the only reason to get a V6 is how many miles you put on it a week. I put 500+ miles a week. This is definitely a daily driver for me.

Using regular gas ($3/gal in California), this works out to be about $12 a week or about $624 a year.

It depends how much that $520 means to you. It wasn't just the gas that's a big deal to me. It was the fact with all the miles I put on the car, it's going to last me 4 years. And that assumes I don't go on road trips. I don't keep any car past 100k.

Your insurance will be slightly less with the V6. Not by much especially if you are older, only maybe a hundred or two. People have reported that the V6 Nissan 370Z costs more than a V8 Mustang.

I work in a dot-com, so I can afford a better Stang. If I was to get a job closer to home, I would trade this in a heartbeat. But as it is now, it's far better deal for me to drive a base model auto V6 and trick out the mileage.

To get the 34 MPG, I added lighter wheels: 255/45/18 (22lbs rims I think), K&N, and Bama Tune. I really only get that when a cop is around and I am forced to drive slow.
Thanks again gspyer, I will have to consider all this and test drive them both too.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Denzer View Post
I zero trip mileage and mpg when I refill -- I also divide miles on tankful by gallons from pump and find that the estimated average (usually about 20.5) is less than actual average of 21.5.
ive foudn this too. the reading on the display is way less than my actual observed mpg which i find by dividing the mileage by the # of gallons used to fill up.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvbrett View Post
ive foudn this too. the reading on the display is way less than my actual observed mpg which i find by dividing the mileage by the # of gallons used to fill up.
On a recent trip, all highway I topped mine off and drove 429 miles on 13.8 gallons. 31.09 MPG calculated, but the dashboard readout claimed 27.1 mpg. I was still under 3,000 miles on the car. I have been suprised when filling it that I drive 400 + miles and the car is only holding around 13 - 14 gallons.

2011 Kona Blue White Stripe, V6 Premium Automatic, Pony Package, Glass Roof
GT Member

I now have a little over 1500 miles and have been getting between 18-20 mpg. the car computer says overall avg of 19.1. I haven't done enough highway driving to see what it gets at that.
GT Member

3.73's with 5.0 after 5200 miles:

Track days are 7-8 mpg

"normal" driving, if there is such a thing is 16-17 (half hwy, half city)

I ***** drove 450 miles once and got about 24 mpg... pretty boring drive though at 65mph. I suppose if I really ***** drove it at 50-55 mph it could possibly pull 26 mpg out of it... I don't have the patience to find out though. I might pay someone to do it someday on a flat stretch east of the mountains just to find out. Not gonna be me though.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
Apprentice
S197 Member

Have had my GT since end of July.

4,000 Miles Total
Low of 16.2 MPG
High of 26.8 MPG
Average Mileage: 21.5 MPG

Ave. Cost of 91 Octane : $3.34/Gal
Ave. Cost of Total Mileage: $0.17/Mile

Diggerpine

2011 5.0 GT Coupe/Kona Blue/6-Spd Manual/3.73 ...
GT-500 Touring Axle-Backs/DG Window Louvers/CDC Shaker Hood Intake/Hurst Billet + Shifter/Custom Hood Spear Stripes/Redline Hood Struts/GT-500 Injectors/Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Supercharger/ Eaton Detroit Truetrac Diff/FRRP 3.73s', D/R Aluminum Diff. Cover...

The Fun!...depends on my right foot...
Rookie

As several others have mentioned, my actual mileage is consistently about 1 mpg higher than the computer reports. My average (actual) over the last four tanks is 23 mpg, driving is split about 50/50 between highway and city conditions. I have not noticed a difference in gas mileage between 87 and 93 octane.

I have a stock 5.0 6-speed with 3.55 rear axle, and 4,000 miles.

2011 GT premium, MT, Kona Blue
PONY Member

I average somewhere between 16 and 17mpg. It's a daily driver and sees it's fair share of traffic. On the weekends with 95% highway I'll see up to 22mpg. I have the 3.73s which may be hurting, but I drive the car the way I want to. I don't even look at the final price when I fill up. I didn't buy the car to conserve, I bought it to burn rubber.

Mods don't matter.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod View Post
I have not noticed a difference in gas mileage between 87 and 93 octane.
You'll only really a notice a difference if the 87 octane (that you use) is pure gas and the 93 octane is 10% ethanol. Ethanol provides less energy but has a higher octane rating. It's often mixed with pure gas to boost the octane, but around here, it is even in our regular.

Pure gas should give you better MPG. Good luck finding it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page