What's your average MPG? - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspyer View Post
You'll only really a notice a difference if the 87 octane (that you use) is pure gas and the 93 octane is 10% ethanol. Ethanol provides less energy but has a higher octane rating. It's often mixed with pure gas to boost the octane, but around here, it is even in our regular.

Pure gas should give you better MPG. Good luck finding it.
I thought the EPA or congress mandated that everyone give sexual services to the corn farmers... ^H^H^H^H^H^H err, that all gas has to be 10% Ethanol.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe Sterling Grey/Black int
3.73, Brembos, Electronics package, HIDs
Ordered : 07/07/10
Sticker : 08/25/10
Build Date : 08/30/10
Delivery Date: 09/15/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

My 2011 GT with an automatic transmission that I ordered on June 30 finally arrived on October 8 (arrived 8 days after the build date, 6 miles on the odometer, so no quality hold). In the last 11 days I put 1,630 miles on the car, with about 1,100 of those miles in the last four days while touring historical landmarks and state parks in Michigan. I typically accelerate just fast enough so that the engine stays in first gear to 2,000 or 2,500 RPM (just enough to hear the engine rumble), but I have had several quick accelerations also. I typically try to set the cruise control at the speed limit when possible, try to coast up to stop lights, and apply the brakes as late as possible. The numbers below are from a mix of 25 MPH to 40 MPH city, 55 MPH country roads, and 70 MPH freeway with either 93 or 92 octane gas.

* First fill up: 312 miles, 13.024 gallons, 23.96 MPG (21.8 shown on the display)
* Second fill up: 185.1 miles, 7.77 gallons, 23.82 MPG (22.8 shown on the display)
* Third fill up: 256.6 miles, 9.901 gallons, 25.92 MPG (24.4 shown on the display)
* Fourth fill up: 360.7 miles, 12.541 gallons, 28.76 MPG (26.4 shown on the display)
* Fifth fill up: 227.4 miles, 8.609 gallons, 26.41 MPG (24.3 shown on the display)
* Sixth fill up: 290.0 miles, 10.202 gallons, 28.43 MPG (26.4 shown on the display), odometer read 1,631.9 miles at this fill up

A couple of notes:
* The 28.76 MPG reading was on a trip along the northwestern coastline of Michigan (lower peninsula), with a lot of steep hills (the car automatically downshifted from sixth to fifth to fourth to third to try to keep the car's speed under control when going down one of the hills), and a lot of twisting roads.
* The 28.43 MPG was achieved on a trip across the southern portion of Michigan, near the Indiana border. Roughly 135 miles into the trip the dashboard display showed 27.6 MPG, and when figuring in the 8% average under-estimation error in the car's MPG calculation, the car was actually achieving 29.81 MPG for the first 135 miles. Driving through the cities of Lansing, Jackson, Ypsilanti, and a number of other smaller cities lowered the final MPG number for the trip.
* The car's spedometer is accurate, according to a handheld GPS and the roadside radar speed displays on the side of the road, so I assume that the odometer is correct.
* I periodically took pictures of the car's MPG display during the last 1,100 miles because I had a hard time believing the mileage I was achiving in a 412HP car that is not yet broken in completely, when the 300HP 5.4 liter in my 2004 F150 4x4 with 3.73 rear gears has only managed a high of about 17 miles per gallon for the last 2 years.

PONY Member

I have noticed that like Computer Guys' car my display is showing 1.5-2 mpg LESS than my actual mileage. I thought I wasn't filling the tank completely but last night I made sure to let the fuel settle and then topped up slowly and check miles against gallons and got 22.7 mpg while my display showed 21.2. Either the odometers are reading higher than actual (which is not likely) or the computer is conservative measuring fuel remaining. I have the stock 19" Brembo wheels and tires so haven't changed the factory calibration. First time I've had a trip computer that didn't overestimate mileage, my BMW were always 1 mpg higher than actual.
Steve

6 Piston GT500 Brembos, 3.55, 6 speed manual, Sparco Ergo seat, Ford Racing Sparco race steering wheel, Koni Yellows, Boss 302S WC splitter, GT500 rear axle cover, Differential cooler, Cobra Jet Intake, Boss Graphics, Setrab 934 Air to Oil Setrab cooler, M-2004-MB brake cooling kit, Ford rotors, Carbotech XP24/XP20 pads, M-5300-P springs, FRRP Laguna Seca 19x9, 19x10 wheels, GT500 axlebacks, ARH 1 7/8" Headers/3" X-Pipe, Ford Racing SCJ throttle body, Ford Racing CJ CAI, AED tune.

Apprentice

* First fill up: 312 miles, 13.024 gallons, 23.96 MPG (21.8 shown on the display)
* Second fill up: 185.1 miles, 7.77 gallons, 23.82 MPG (22.8 shown on the display)
* Third fill up: 256.6 miles, 9.901 gallons, 25.92 MPG (24.4 shown on the display)
* Fourth fill up: 360.7 miles, 12.541 gallons, 28.76 MPG (26.4 shown on the display)
* Fifth fill up: 227.4 miles, 8.609 gallons, 26.41 MPG (24.3 shown on the display)
* Sixth fill up: 290.0 miles, 10.202 gallons, 28.43 MPG (26.4 shown on the display), odometer read 1,631.9 miles at this fill up

Computerguy, those are fantastic numbers for the V8. In some posts I have read that the auto tranny adjusts to your driving. I am featherfoot on the gas and your numbers are better then my Mazda MPV minivan.

The V6 seems to have a MPG sweetspot at 45 or so MPH. Have you found a similar MPH sweetspot in MPG using the car computer where the engine is in the most efficient cycle with the OD gear?

Your numbers are close enough to the V6 that I would rethink my plans to get a V6 since the ins costs are not too much different at my age and my commute is basically 45 MPH with a few lights .
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKinSFLA View Post
Computerguy, those are fantastic numbers for the V8. In some posts I have read that the auto tranny adjusts to your driving. I am featherfoot on the gas and your numbers are better then my Mazda MPV minivan.

The V6 seems to have a MPG sweetspot at 45 or so MPH. Have you found a similar MPH sweetspot in MPG using the car computer where the engine is in the most efficient cycle with the OD gear?

Your numbers are close enough to the V6 that I would rethink my plans to get a V6 since the ins costs are not too much different at my age and my commute is basically 45 MPH with a few lights .
My MPG numbers may be slightly atypical for daily commutes (the first two fill ups included daily commutes). The temperature was between 35 degrees and 60 degrees during the tour around Michigan, so I had to run the defroster briefly at the start of each day. I stopped several times on the trip to see the historical landmarks, but the car's engine was typically close to running temperature when I continued, so that probably helped the mileage a little compared to a daily commute.

The V8 auto is rated at 25 MPG on the freeway, which is just under 2,000 RPM at 70 MPH (for comparison, my truck with a 3.73 rear end is at 2,000 RPM at 70 MPH). I don't know if I have found the sweet spot yet, but the auto transmission should be in sixth gear between 45 MPH (roughly 1,350 RPM) and 55 MPH (roughly 1,500 RPM), and that range seems to produce excellent gas mileage in the V8. When you need the power of the V8 to merge onto the freeway or to quickly put a quarter mile of distance between your car and a car that has been tailgating you for the last five miles, the power is most definitely available (just make certain that you are holding onto the steering wheel tightly during the downshift to first).

My car is a late September, job 2 build, and I am thinking that Ford might have reprogrammed the car's computer for the job 2 build (good gas mileage and excellent performance when requested). A couple of tips that I learned from driving long box F-150 trucks (1979, 1994, 2004) to obtain good gas mileage:
* Drive the speed limit. If you want to be seen in the Mustang, a surprising number of people will want to pass you.
* Leave at least 300 feet or more between you and the car in front of you. If you see brake lights ahead, take your foot off the gas and let the engine slow you down rather than the brakes (this seems to work better in the Mustang, while my 2004 F-150 seems to take itself out of gear when the throttle is not pressed).
* If you have a tendency to immediately swing your right foot from the gas to the brake, you might want to reconsider your driving style.
* If you hold first gear until the engine rumbles (as I typically do), you might be hurting gas mileage.

Continuously displaying the average MPG on the dash board display is a great reminder that will help you achieve good gas mileage when you need it, while having easy access to the power of the V8 for those times when you need to have your neck snapped back into alignment.
Apprentice

Thanks for the follow up. My daily commute is on local roads and is usually in the 45 MPH range with a few stops and I also drive with a feather foot and coast a lot.

My interest is in getting a Mustang that I can keep for a very long time and still have it when I am close to retirement. I do not expect gas prices to go down or high HP V8s to be around 20 years from now. I still like the new V6 and would not feel short changed with that engine. Ultimately, it will be the right combo of price and long term ownership that sways me. If I had a monstrous commute, that would be a big factor when I add up the gas bills each month.

Keep us posted as the engine gets broken in and maybe you can experiment with different gas octanes , synthetic oils or whatever you change as time rolls on. I love having plant your body to the seat power, but I also like a wallet planted in the seat with something inside.
Apprentice

I'm averaging 19mpg but when my boss was following me a few weeks ago and I had to drive slowly I got 27.5!

Amazing fuel efficiency for a vehicle like this.

2011 GT Premium Vert ordered 7/9... arrived 9/21
Brembo, 6spd, HID, Comfort
Sterling with Brick red leather
RTR wheels, hancock tires Ford racing Struts,springs, shocks, sway bar
CHE panhard bar
LLoyd custom mats
Steeda CAI, SCT Lethal Perf tune, Corsa axle back
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKinSFLA View Post
Thanks for the follow up. My daily commute is on local roads and is usually in the 45 MPH range with a few stops and I also drive with a feather foot and coast a lot.

My interest is in getting a Mustang that I can keep for a very long time and still have it when I am close to retirement. I do not expect gas prices to go down or high HP V8s to be around 20 years from now. I still like the new V6 and would not feel short changed with that engine. Ultimately, it will be the right combo of price and long term ownership that sways me. If I had a monstrous commute, that would be a big factor when I add up the gas bills each month.

Keep us posted as the engine gets broken in and maybe you can experiment with different gas octanes , synthetic oils or whatever you change as time rolls on. I love having plant your body to the seat power, but I also like a wallet planted in the seat with something inside.
I'm like you, looking on the V6, but these good MPG results on the V8 make me wonder my first choice. Although I think the V6 with the Performance Package will be a much better value in the long term ownership as the gas prices won't go down in the future, they will only go up...

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Apprentice

Just another update. I drove through the cities/towns of Kalamazoo, Paw Paw, Hickory Corners, Hastings, Grand Ledge, Albion, Marshall, Battle Creek, Augusta, and a couple of other places (all in Michigan) with connecting country roads ranging from 45 MPH to 55 MPH. The automatic will apparently hold 6th gear at 40 MPH running 1,000 RPM, so it should be able to return decent gas mileage at that speed if there are few stop lights.

* Seventh fill up: 312.7 miles, 11.544 gallons 27.09 MPG (25.6 shown on the display), odometer read 1,944.7 miles at this fill up

The overall average MPG for my automatic Mustang GT is 26.42 for the first 1,945 miles on premium 92/93 octane. It is good to see that carnut169 was able to achieve very good mileage also - I was beginning to think that I was driving a factory freak.
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
Just another update. I drove through the cities/towns of Kalamazoo, Paw Paw, Hickory Corners, Hastings, Grand Ledge, Albion, Marshall, Battle Creek, Augusta, and a couple of other places (all in Michigan) with connecting country roads ranging from 45 MPH to 55 MPH. The automatic will apparently hold 6th gear at 40 MPH running 1,000 RPM, so it should be able to return decent gas mileage at that speed if there are few stop lights.

* Seventh fill up: 312.7 miles, 11.544 gallons 27.09 MPG (25.6 shown on the display), odometer read 1,944.7 miles at this fill up

The overall average MPG for my automatic Mustang GT is 26.42 for the first 1,945 miles on premium 92/93 octane. It is good to see that carnut169 was able to achieve very good mileage also - I was beginning to think that I was driving a factory freak.
impressive!

oh how i miss my country drives in paw paw.. some great scenery out there!

not so much in albion though, lol.

on order- 2011 mustang base v6 m/t
white, performance pkg, sport appearance pkg
Apprentice

"The automatic will apparently hold 6th gear at 40 MPH running 1,000 RPM, so it should be able to return decent gas mileage at that speed if there are few stop lights."

ComputerGuy, your V8 GT is getting better MPG than my 2002 Mazda MPV MiniVan! Granted, my vehicle is carrying more weight, but this is truly impressive.

I have to think that that this V8 with the variable timing and fuel injection can deliver a lot of torque at low RPM without bogging like my old 302 carb V8 would many years ago. This is one big advantage a V8 has over a V6 in pure grunt. I have a neighbor with a Corvette who would hit 30MPG at times cruising on the highway at 60MPH with the OD gearing and low RPM from the small block.

MPG in hilly areas I tend to discount since coasting downhill can bump up MPG a lot . MY MPV with 4 people and luggage hit 28 MPG a few years ago in the Smoky mountain area due to a lot of coasting.

One of my future trips will be taking the future convertible on a drive though the entire Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway from one end to the other. The last time I was in Michigan was in the early 1970s and I still recall the sand dunes. I have to put that on the list of drives as well.
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Synapse View Post
The car uses an average of the last 500mi of driving history to determine your miles to empty, independent of the little MPG calculator. The weeks Im off work I get 310~mi to empty, and the weeks Im working I get 275~ I guess Im in a hurry to get to work, lol. We cannot alter this calculation. So take driving habits, city/hwy, etc, into consideration.
Snapped this tonight a few minutes after filling up. I've been nice to Galadriel.

PS, my RPS range 1500-2500.

PONY Member

My average lifetime economy has been 10.76 L/100km and MPG is 21.87. I would estimate that this is something along the lines of 30% heavy/city, 70% 'hilly' highway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66666.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	113717  
GT Member

After 500 miles in mostly 3rd and 4th gear, I got 13 mpg.

I reset the gauge and we'll see how 5th and 6th do around town.

2011 401a Brembo Electronics HID
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstar View Post
I thought the EPA or congress mandated that everyone give sexual services to the corn farmers... ^H^H^H^H^H^H err, that all gas has to be 10% Ethanol.
I believe by something like 2012 or 2014, this will be true. That the gas will always have to have certain percentage of ethanol. Some kind of penalty otherwise. For now, you can still find, ethanol-free gas sometimes. This isn't going to last, you might as well accept ethanol.

I'm not entirely convinced some of the places that don't have ethanol stickers don't have ethanol anyways. I bet state law only requires E10 to have a sticker. What about E5? You have to ask the gas station owner, and even he might not know (or lie about it).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page