A couple of Novice 5.0 drivers in ARSCCA SOLO II yesterday - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jsnyng
A couple of Novice 5.0 drivers in ARSCCA SOLO II yesterday

Not since prom night my junior year of high school have I had as much fun in a car. Autocross is just pure adrenaline so much so that I completely tore my rotator cuff over-correcting and saving a spin out on my last run. I didn't feel the pain until 45 minutes afterwards when I couldn't move my left arm.

Auto-X is definitely my new hobby. February can't get here soon enough for the start of next season.

Here I am in my Race Red 5.0

YouTube - 2011 Ford Mustang GT - Atlanta Region SCCA SOLO II event @ Turner Field (autocross)

Here's orgchem from this forum in his Ingot Silver 5.0:

YouTube - 2011 Mustang GT - Autocross @ Turner Field

2011 Mustang GT Premium
My Mods --> jsnyng.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Good stuff Jason. Have you looked into how the BBR LCA's will affect your handling?

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Hey Rich, I'm hoping that it will eliminate some of the wheel hop launching and also when hitting 2nd gear at WOT. I'm pretty sure I'm ordering some Steeda sport springs this week. I'm going to try to get my church to allow me to use their lot to practice slaloms and hard curves. I want to get better because I can see myself doing this for years. If I really stick with it, I may build a dedicated car for the track.

2011 Mustang GT Premium
My Mods --> jsnyng.net

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010
PONY Member

Just have to chime in and say the same thing... incredible fun! Just being able to take the car to its absolute (cornering) limits not only was enlightening, but also one heck of a rush. Not to mention getting to ride along with some more experienced drivers in various cars, almost giving me a heart attack at some points on the course (WRX + slicks!!).

Also, an extremely friendly group made up of a ton of different cars - couple Mustangs/domestic cars, lots of imports, even a Jaguar XJ series!

Learned a couple things from the experience - having a relatively quick car doesn't give you any extra points unless you know how to drive it . So that will take a lot of practice, practice, practice. You can see me almost lose control of the car at the very end, trying to navigate a quick turn through cones.

Also, throttle lag is even more annoying when you're on a course!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgchem View Post
Just have to chime in and say the same thing... incredible fun! Just being able to take the car to its absolute limits not only was enlightening, but also one heck of a rush. Not to mention getting to ride along with some more experienced drivers in various cars, almost giving me a heart attack at some points on the course (WRX + slicks!!).

Also, an extremely friendly group made up of a ton of different cars - couple Mustangs/domestic cars, lots of imports, even a Jaguar XJ series!

Learned a couple things from the experience - having a relatively quick car doesn't give you any extra points unless you know how to drive it . So that will take a lot of practice, practice, practice. You can see me almost lose control of the car at the very end, trying to navigate a quick turn through cones.

Also, throttle lag is even more annoying when you're on a course!
Hey, thanks for being modest and not telling everybody that your fastest time beat mine by 1.5 seconds. You were much smoother than me, and I started to try competing in a drift contest out there. That last right hand turn before the slalom the speedo read 85MPH, but I assure you the car wasn't moving forward that fast. Give me a call tomorrow or one day this week to talk tuners. My # is on my Facebook page.

2011 Mustang GT Premium
My Mods --> jsnyng.net
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
The guys at our local car club are extremely friendly and always welcome ride alongs. I'm interested to hear how your suspension mods help out. If you can, try to find someone that has a Brembo GT. The whole suspension is stiffer, not to mention the tires.

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010
Apprentice

I have been to a few autocrosses but I haven't driven in one myself. They seem like a great deal of fun.

BTW, panty shot at 00:36 in the first vid

Jim
2011 Mustang GT: Race Red, 6MT, 401A Brick Red, Comfort Pkg, Security Pkg, HIDs, 3.73s
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I am in the atlanta area also..id like more information about these.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
I am in the atlanta area also..id like more information about these.
I think everything is over for this year, but here is the link to the Solo Atlanta website, which has everything you need to know:

www.SoloAtlanta.com

When an event is going to take place, a registration link is posted about a week ahead of time (at least for the last event it was). You register (first time as a novice), then just use the forums/instructions to figure out what you are supposed to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page