2014 Mustang: Smaller, Lighter, and (finally) IRS - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
Well, I'll be happy with a 2011/12 Mustang, I'm tall and I don't want a smaller one! Think I'll keep my 2011/12 for some times hehe
I agree, but there is always room for improvement. Having owned many '79-93 Fox Mustangs, I felt the room inside the Fox chassis cars was slightly better utilized and passenger friendly than the current Mustang. Besides, you know Ford has to hit it home with the 50th Anniversary Mustang, so don't be afraid, they will not disappoint.

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vauxhall View Post
BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Then again, they could pull the same trick the europeans are doing. Leave the gas guzzlers just as they are, and then offset that by producing a few very low consumption vehicles in the lineup.

Maybe the fusion hybrid, the fiesta, and hell maybe a focus hyrbrid would create enough of a grading curve to let the stangs have some breathing room.
Do what the Europeans have been doing... The American car manufacturers have been trying to do just that since CAFE was introduced back in 1975... although they got off to a miserable start in 1974 with the Mustang II.

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
Rookie

What they need to be doing is adding an all wheel drive option, many of us want a car we can drive year round. All bmw's , infinitis, acuras, audis, lexus have that option. This is an area they need to improve. I want a mustang, but I am also considering the latter because or this.

GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysingh4 View Post
What they need to be doing is adding an all wheel drive option, many of us want a car we can drive year round. All bmw's , infinitis, acuras, audis, lexus have that option. This is an area they need to improve. I want a mustang, but I am also considering the latter because or this.
You can drive your Mustang year-round if you know how to drive... I've been doing it for years.

Besides, the Mustang started out as, and always will be, the affordable sports car -- not luxury car (BMW, Lexus), not soap-box grocery getter (STi, Evos), and not necessarily pure muscle (like the Torinos, Chargers & Chevelles of yore; exception: Cobra Rs, GT500s ). And it won't give up styling or 4-seats in the name of autocross (Miatas, S2000) -- basically, Mustang created its own definition as a Pony Car! (check wikipedia for a definition )

I'm excited to see the new styling; a little worried about the resizing (since I'm also in the 6+ ft crowd :yelpleased; glad it will be lighter -- and I trust Ford to do it right! As somebody mentioned, they do need to offer a cheaper base model for the young teens -- it's the reason I got my Stang in the first place! I'm indifferent to the IRS: I have no need for it, but it's supposedly better... and more costly. Lots of pros & cons to consider.

FLASH = 98 V6, chrome yellow, black & blue accents, 146k daily driver
POWER: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage)
STYLE: black headlights, black taillights, black grille, black hood pins, black window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, 12000k HIDs
RIMS: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear
TIRES: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear
Apprentice
S197 Member

The current Mustang is dimensionally close to the original, the wheelbase is a little shorter and the overall length and track/width measurements are a little more. The proportions are right on the money. The half-ton of additional weight is probably safety-related: airbags, structural passenger "cages," as well as all the electronic "nannies" we take for granted -- all those servos, step motors and computers are not weightless. The 'Stang could easily lightened by 500 pounds while retaining the current overall measurements by the use of lighter (and more expensive!) materials. The IRS is not necessary; the Mustang continues to amaze its detractors on the skidpad and racetrack as its live axle is cleverly suspended and actually works better than IRS in some circumstance. That said, IRS could be offered as an option, the last IRS system Ford tested in Shelby racing units was a direct bolt-on to existing mounts on the OEM frame.
I hope Ford doesn't screw it up like they did with the Mustang II.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver J View Post
You can drive your Mustang year-round if you know how to drive... I've been doing it for years.

Besides, the Mustang started out as, and always will be, the affordable sports car -- not luxury car (BMW, Lexus), not soap-box grocery getter (STi, Evos), and not necessarily pure muscle (like the Torinos, Chargers & Chevelles of yore; exception: Cobra Rs, GT500s ). And it won't give up styling or 4-seats in the name of autocross (Miatas, S2000) -- basically, Mustang created its own definition as a Pony Car! (check wikipedia for a definition )

I'm excited to see the new styling; a little worried about the resizing (since I'm also in the 6+ ft crowd :yelpleased; glad it will be lighter -- and I trust Ford to do it right! As somebody mentioned, they do need to offer a cheaper base model for the young teens -- it's the reason I got my Stang in the first place! I'm indifferent to the IRS: I have no need for it, but it's supposedly better... and more costly. Lots of pros & cons to consider.
If there is even an inch of snow/ice on the ground, the car is almost immobile, and it has tough time going up even the smallest hill in the snow, you will end up on the curb
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstar View Post
Anyone think they will make the stang a 2 seater?
That would cut into their target market and put them competing with the Corvette. The 4 seater is the main reason I bought a new Mustang over a used Vette.

2011 GT 5.0 Grabber Blue
2012 Chrysler Town & Country
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
If there is even an inch of snow/ice on the ground, the car is almost immobile, and it has tough time going up even the smallest hill in the snow, you will end up on the curb

curious. How long have you been driving a Mustang? Or been driving period? I even did several Ohio/NKY winters (lots of hills with ice/snow blends) in my '99 V6 with only one rear wheel spinning and always managed to get home and never got into an accident or ended up on the curb. Had a RWD Volvo that went through many many winters with no problem as well. Not to mention my pickup trucks.
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

What a waste of a read, i could have written that on a bathroom break off the top of my head without even looking anything up. Actually, i probably could have provided more detail..lol

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
What a waste of a read, i could have written that on a bathroom break off the top of my head without even looking anything up. Actually, i probably could have provided more detail..lol
Then why don't you?
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridafordguy View Post
Then why don't you?

Because i have already done it here. Do a previous search on this forum regarding the 2014, i have said as much (as have many others) as what was posted there plus MUCH MORE several times over

Enjoy!

For just one example..see here

Sept 8 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
I believe it means the new platform will be cross-shared with the Falcon (sold in Australia).

Don't panic, our S197 mustangs were derived from the platform of the Lincoln LS.

From what i know.

!)Retro styling will go away (may be a modern-retro with some cues the Giugiaro concept or something similiar)
2)IRS is coming for sure.
3)5.0 will still be in use (but continually evolving). I have mixed feelings about DI. Id much rather them just throw the reinforced and better breathing Boss 302 (or some evolution of it) in it.
4) People will still be able to afford these even if we cant afford the Shelbys and Boss models.
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...e-holds-3.html

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
Banned

Smaller, Lighter, with 428 cubic Inches, Wait, they did that in 69.
I'll take one.
Apprentice

Quote:
I Was just about to order a 2011 gt, but now what
Like me, you buy the 2011 GT, make maximum payments you can afford each month, then have maximum trade in allowance in 2014...well probably mid 2013...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page