Will the Brembo package push me into ownership?? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

First; I need to ask to clear up the ignorant feeling I have…
What is a shifer?
Second; I hope you are a female driving a Miata…
The 2011 has electric assist steering, not the old hydraulic steering you have in your chick car (Miata)if it has power assist steering…
That might be the biggest issue to the lightweight the control feeling
Maybe the Miata was made to feel more macho in the controls… A selling point to men not thinking it’s a chick car…

The brakes are nice… Did I get them no… do I care no.
Good day

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
Second; I hope you are a female driving a Miata…
The 2011 has electric assist steering, not the old hydraulic steering you have in your chick car (Miata)if it has power assist steering…
That might be the biggest issue to the lightweight the control feeling
Maybe the Miata was made to feel more macho in the controls… A selling point to men not thinking it’s a chick car…
Another car bigot raises his ugly head...... There's no cure for stupidity like that....Sorry about your Penis size.

Steve
2011 GT in Performance white | 3.73's | FRPP "P" springs on D specs | Fays2 Watts Link | Brembo's | Steeda CAI/Tune | FRPP "X" into GT500 muffs | Sparco Milano seats
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
Another car bigot raises his ugly head...... There's no cure for stupidity like that....Sorry about your Penis size.
LOL and a gay man speaks up worried about another mans penis..

Hey all I was trying to do was be funny if I offended you... get over it

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.

Apprentice

I might be able to offer a small amount of insight. I've never owned a Miata (or even driven one, to be honest) but I did go to my Brembo GT from an '08 Mazdaspeed3 and the difference was incredible. I miss the turbo sometimes but overall I have absolutely no regrets. The GT is officially the best car I've ever owned, easily beating my MS3, and an '07 Civic Si.

Honestly, when I test drove a non-Brembo, it felt alright.. not quite marshmallow-y, but it wasn't entirely impressive. But when I drove the car I ultimately bought, the improvement was clear. The physical changes are subtle obviously, with the only real difference being the quality of the tires (and I think the engine cross brace?), but the suspension feels tight and responsive. Something about the additional suspension tuning, perhaps, makes it feel that much better.

That being said, the test drives were fairly useless in terms of really getting a feel for the car. It probably took me 1000mi to feel really comfortable with it, and another 1500 to get that "oneness" that allows me to push it to the edges of its capabilities.

And even if you still don't quite feel it, aftermarket parts are plentiful and fairly inexpensive. You could probably piece together exactly the feel you're seeking for around $1500. (springs, shocks, struts, lower control arms, panhard bar).

Black 2011 Mustang GT: MT82 - 3.73 Gears - Brembo Pkg - Boss 302 Manifold - Steeda CAI - Lethal Performance OR X-pipe - Borla S-Type axleback - MGW Short Shifter - Motiva Tuned

[email protected] (6500DA)
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post

Hey all I was trying to do was be funny if I offended you... get over it
Yeah...The problem is I'm a CAR enthusiast period. Chick car, Ghey car it matters not to me. I like ALL cars, but have only owned 57, so I have a few more on my Bucket list yet to check off. Glad your comment was a joke....Too often the fanboys on various forums express this type of juvenile sentiment. They're not enthusiasts in my eyes, nor do they really know much about cars in my experience.....

I'm sure the 8 Porsche's I've owned would be categorized as Ghey here......
When I add my 4th Miata to the stable I'll be sure not to mention it on this forum....:nogrinner

Steve
2011 GT in Performance white | 3.73's | FRPP "P" springs on D specs | Fays2 Watts Link | Brembo's | Steeda CAI/Tune | FRPP "X" into GT500 muffs | Sparco Milano seats
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks to all the helpful responses, and thanks for the laughs for the rest... I am looking forward to driving the Brembo GT soon. I guess stating the stock GT felt soft like a marshmallow was a bit incendiary, and I didn't mean to offend.. was just try to draw some perspective from what I am used to.

Sounds like it wouldn't cost me much to tune it to my liking. And when I need my Miata fix, I'll still have one... I just need to take it offline for awhile for some much needed maintenance.

I really liked the car overall and it's amazing how far Ford has come in a few short years.

Thanks again all.

2011 Brembo GT Black/Brick 3.73
1995 Miata M
PONY Member

I love my Brembo GT. It's so freaking worth it. I was hesitant at first, but glad that I went with it.

Coming from a 2006 Mustang, it's like night and day. The car handles insane. The suspension IS different and this has been proven many times (especially Sam Strano). I love the brakes, I love the car.

I could care less about any other car out there, since this car makes me content. And this is coming from a guy that went through a lot of trouble with Ford. I almost went and got and Audi RS4, then Audi A5 but still stuck with the Mustang.

Love.this.car.

2011 Black Mustang GT 5.0 Brick-Red
6SP Manual | 3.73 Gears | HIDs | Sec & Anti-Theft Pkg | Brembo GT Brake Pkg | Comfort Package | Shaker 1000 |
Mods:

2011 CS/GT Front Valance, 2011 GT500 Rear Diffuser, 2011 SVT GT500 Mufflers, 2011 Roush Side Skirts, 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler, Boss 302 Front Splitter, Speed Dawg custom shift-knob, Black Pony Emblem, 50% fog-light tint, Blacked Out Side Marks Front and Rear, 35% All-around Tint & Heon H10 fog-light bulbs
GT Member

The Brembo package is demonstrably stiffer than the standard GT.

Modshack, did you need to change the upper strut mounts when you put on the P springs?

2011 401a Brembo Electronics HID
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icckart View Post
WRONG!!! I've posted this, as have others SEVERAL times. The Brembo package comes with MUCH better tires 255/40-19 P-Zero "Summer" (220 treadwear). It ALSO comes with significantly (my guess based on feel) stiffer springs and strut damping.
My bad, I was responding without knowing what the brembo package included. I though it was just the upgraded brakes, which alone will not increase handling. Obviously with the better tires, stiffer springs and struts this brembo package may be exactly what the OP is looking for.

I just have a plain jane 2011 GT CS which does have 19" wheels stock and I think it handles great compared to any other stock Mustang I have previously driven. I also had a Miata at one time and I still stand by my statement that the Mustang will never handle like a Miata and if that go kart handling and ride is what the OP is really looking for then he should look at different cars.

2011 Race Red GT/CS, MT, 3.73...
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
My bad, I was responding without knowing what the brembo package included. I though it was just the upgraded brakes, which alone will not increase handling. Obviously with the better tires, stiffer springs and struts this brembo package may be exactly what the OP is looking for.

I just have a plain jane 2011 GT CS which does have 19" wheels stock and I think it handles great compared to any other stock Mustang I have previously driven. I also had a Miata at one time and I still stand by my statement that the Mustang will never handle like a Miata and if that go kart handling and ride is what the OP is really looking for then he should look at different cars.
Meh. He overreacted. The marketing materials don't mention the suspension changes. You have to drive it, and read the parts catalog, to figure out the differences.

Your GT CS has 19" wheels and presumably summer tires. It also has a strut tower brace. All those things will tighten up the car compared to a standard GT with 18" wheels. The Brembo kicks it up one more notch.

An alternate route is to skip the Brembo package (if you don't want the brakes and wheels) and put on a handling pack, with or without adjustable shocks, from Ford Racing. The parts are pretty reasonable. Labor charge will depend on how much you can do yourself. I don't do springs and struts myself, but Modshack does. Keep that in mind when *he* tells you how cheap it is. He's not factoring in the price of his lift.

2011 401a Brembo Electronics HID
PONY Member

Sorry (if you meant me overreacting). There just seems to be a lot of misinformation about this issue. I've read many such posts - "Brembos pkg. doesn't help with handling - you don't need it - Blah, Blah..."

I see you post a lot on the "other" forum - where they actually have a "handling" section. Sam Strano claimed there to know what the Brembo spring+damper rates are - but can't tell anybody?!?

I'd personally like to know what the values are, particularly getting ready to AutoX. Sam ditched his struts and put on AST (or something $$$). The Koni's seem like a cheap mod.

Why doesn't Ford advertise what the Brembo package REALLY includes??? I think it's perfect as it is (for now)...

BTW: If you really want go-kart handling, try go-kart racing. We can pull 3G's peak (as logged by a MyChron) lateral. It's enough that you'll break ribs (I've done it!) unless you wear a carbon-fiber protector. On a 125cc shifter, we race at 400lbs, with 43HP. The 2011GT has around 9lbs/HP - right about the same! My middle-aged body's gettin' too old for that though...

2011 GT Kona Blue with 401A Black+Cashmire - HID, Security, Brembo, 3.55, Comfort, Rear Camera, and Glass Roof.
Mods: Steeda Sport Springs and HD mount (2011+ style), Koni "Yellows", UMI roto-joint adj. PHB - oh, and one big scratch in a BBP wheel!
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye4U View Post
Thanks to all the helpful responses, and thanks for the laughs for the rest... I am looking forward to driving the Brembo GT soon. I guess stating the stock GT felt soft like a marshmallow was a bit incendiary, and I didn't mean to offend.. was just try to draw some perspective from what I am used to.

Sounds like it wouldn't cost me much to tune it to my liking. And when I need my Miata fix, I'll still have one... I just need to take it offline for awhile for some much needed maintenance.

I really liked the car overall and it's amazing how far Ford has come in a few short years.

Thanks again all.
And when you do drive the 3.73 GT, disengage the AdvanceTrac completely (foot on brake, then hold the button down for 6+ seconds).

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
I've driven both cars (Brembo-non Brembo) back to back. The Brembo car will outhandle the non, it's that simple. Pretty stiff ride, but not bone jarring...yet.

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icckart View Post

I see you post a lot on the "other" forum - where they actually have a "handling" section. Sam Strano claimed there to know what the Brembo spring+damper rates are - but can't tell anybody?!?

I'd personally like to know what the values are, particularly getting ready to AutoX. Sam ditched his struts and put on AST (or something $$$). The Koni's seem like a cheap mod.
This has MAJORLY put me off with Sam. Several people have said they've talked to him and he's been super helpful, blah blah blah...yeah, he's selling you a product. When someone questions him, he turns into an angry little troll.

Once I replace the suspension in my car, I plan on measuring the stock spring rates, and posting the info all over the place. It's ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS he's withholding the info, if he has it at all.

Back on topic: My car feels pretty stiff. Almost as much as my friend's S2000. Not as stiff as my beater truck, which has a jarring ride.

2011 Kona Blue 5.0 / 400A / MT82 / 3.55 / Brembo Pkg / Comfort Pkg / Security Pkg
Mods: Stuff
GT Member

People need to understand that "stiffer" doesn't necessarily mean, and in MANY cases, does NOT mean "better handling". If you are coming from a Miata (which CAN be mean... I had a pretty "mean" one in Japan for the Rokko hills....it was call the Eunos MX-5 over there) you will def. be putting money into the suspension even with the Brembo packaged car. Although it handled well at the track this year, it can handle MUCH better with a softer, but more compliant suspension underneath it. The shocks/struts on it are HORRID and the springs are too mushy. I know they tuned it for the 1/4 mile people... but dang, you stomp on it and you look at the stars and when you brake into corners I feel someone can actually see the driveline underneath from the back.

Does it make the car untrackable? No. As with any car you just need to learn the frequency of the suspension. But if you are coming from a Miata or European car.... it will hit you in the head.

I'd put my money on it that you would do suspension work on it. The only good thing about it is that these cars are DIRT CHEAP to work on and/or to have someone work on them for you.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
brembo , miata , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page