Tinted Taillights on Black *PICTURES* - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndeadline View Post
Did you hand polish or machine polish?
I used a Porter Cable, although I've seen some people do it by hand.

2011 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
I think completely tinted is ugly, but to each his own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tispho View Post
I did not want the reverse lights tinted because I still wanted them usable. I have to reverse into dark areas at night and I want to see where I am going. Plus I think it looks better.
I was thinking I wanted my reverse lights tinted but now I'm having second thoughts as well. I was able to do some mock-ups in Photoshop with each option. I have a 2012 Ingot Silver V6 with the V6 PP. What does everyone prefer on this color? Tinted or not tinted? I'm kind of torn...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tinted (Reverse Clear).jpg
Views:	303
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	138263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tinted (Reverse Dark).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	138264  
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The picture on the left looks better to me.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.

MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Looks great, OP! As far as the Ignot Silver, I'd say leave the reverse lights clear.

I've considered just doing the tint film. Easy to remove if I hate it or if there is ever a problem.

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tispho View Post
I used a Porter Cable, although I've seen some people do it by hand.
I just happen to have a Porter Cable orbital polisher. You use a foam pad? Sorry to keep drilling you with questions, just trying to get the facts before I make my tails beautiful or they end up an abomination!

2011 SG Mustang Premium V6, MCA Edition, 3:31 Gears, 6 MT, Reverse Camera.
Steeda CAI, BAMA Tuned SCT, GT Fascia, Boss/CS Valance, Boss Front Splitter, Saleen Grille, Roush Splitters, GT500 Rear Valance, Roush AB, Black GT500 Wheels (18x10 Rear/18x9 Front), GT Front Brakes, Eibach Sportlines, Eibach Adj LCAs, J&M Adj. Panhard Bar, Steeda STB, Grabber Pony SG Shift Knob, Custom Perforated/Striped leather shift boot and E-Brake Handle boot, SR Performance Shifter, Barton Shifter Bracket
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndeadline View Post
I just happen to have a Porter Cable orbital polisher. You use a foam pad? Sorry to keep drilling you with questions, just trying to get the facts before I make my tails beautiful or they end up an abomination!

Yeah I have what are called Lake Country Pads they are 6.5" that you can get from We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store

I used a yellow LC to compound with meguiars 105

Then I used a white LC to polish with meguiars 205

and if you want to jewel the paint you use a Blue LC with meguiars 205

2011 Mustang GT
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thanks for your advice! Ordering some pads now...

2011 SG Mustang Premium V6, MCA Edition, 3:31 Gears, 6 MT, Reverse Camera.
Steeda CAI, BAMA Tuned SCT, GT Fascia, Boss/CS Valance, Boss Front Splitter, Saleen Grille, Roush Splitters, GT500 Rear Valance, Roush AB, Black GT500 Wheels (18x10 Rear/18x9 Front), GT Front Brakes, Eibach Sportlines, Eibach Adj LCAs, J&M Adj. Panhard Bar, Steeda STB, Grabber Pony SG Shift Knob, Custom Perforated/Striped leather shift boot and E-Brake Handle boot, SR Performance Shifter, Barton Shifter Bracket
Rookie

tispho, the night pics in the first page make the lights look more orange than red. is this just the camera or do they the lights really have an orange look to them after doing this mod?
MACH I Member

I used 4 coats VHT and 5 of 3M Acrylic clear coat. I know the recommended is no more than three of VHT, but I did a few of them lightly, so in reality it's about 3.5. They are VERY visible in the dark, still moreso than most normal taillights, and in the day looks almost black.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

PONY Member

I have done VHT in the pas on my motorcycles. Real easy to work with! For now I am just going to use the film tint on the lights to see how I like it. I am do all the side markers, tail lights and third brake lights.

2012 Performance Package V6 MT82
MODS- FRPP Sport axle back, Lethal Off/road X-pipe, Air Raid CAI, SCT Tuner BAMA 93R tune, 20% tint, Leather seat installed, Joe Heck Short shifter and bushing, Steeda Shift knob with billet collar, 4 6X8 kicker speakers.
Soon to come- Alum driveshaft, Interior Lighting, louvers, GT/CS front end, some kind of forced induction.
PONY Member

Looks clean. Good idea to wet sand them

12' RR GT | FORD RACING | JBA | CERVINI | ROUSH | KONI | H&R | 3DCARBON | C&L | AMRs | BREMBO | CDC
Banned

Nice! I'm going to tint my tails too, as well as add a black out panel. I was worried how bright they'd be at night. Thanks for the reassurance.
Apprentice
V6 Member

Did this on a 2003, messsed up one portion of the lens on the drivers side so I'll have to go back and fix it, then clear. Night shades is great though and real easy to work with

2003 Redfire V6 Auto
-Show: Black Rocker Stripes, Matte Black Fender Stripes, Matte Black Custom Decklid Blackout/Stripe, Smoked Tails, Custom Cut Hood Vinyl, 100 Watt Sound Ordinance Powered 8" Sub-
-Go: AM CAI-

Yea... thats it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page