2011 Mustang Hood Scoop Seam Hiding - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Here's the thing, though about the flexing issue. Essentially, the seams would be filled in with some sort of body filler, then sanded smooth and primed/painted.

Would normal body filler not have a slightly different "flex rate" than medal anyway? Would the scoop really expand/contract that much more than the filler and hood?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Here's the thing, though about the flexing issue. Essentially, the seams would be filled in with some sort of body filler, then sanded smooth and primed/painted.

Would normal body filler not have a slightly different "flex rate" than medal anyway? Would the scoop really expand/contract that much more than the filler and hood?
I couldn't really say if the expansion/contraction rate would be an issue or not.

I'm referring to "body flex" and vibration as you drive down the road. To get proper adhesion you're going to take it down to bare metal/plastic and fill it with (IMO) a fibreglass-filled filler. Light coats, multiple layers. You're really looking at a lot of work, definitely not something you want to do it this isn't your first attempt at bodywork.

If I had my heart set on it I'd get the opinion of an experienced bodyman. I do minor bodywork/repair but something of this scope I'd contract out to a professional. You think a seam is a big annoyance? Screw up your hood with a botched job and it'd really be annoying.

Good luck.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Bringing this thread back to life.

I just installed a factory style hood scoop and I like it better than no scoop at all. However, in a perfect world, I'd love to get rid of those seams. It appears to stick out more against my 'race red' paint than what I've seen on other Mustangs -- but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Anyway, I was thinking of having a body shot fill in the seams and repaint the hood for a seamless look. However, someone on this thread mentioned that won't work with the fiberglass scoop on the metal hood.

Anyone else agree or disagree with this?

Any pics you can post? I've been kicking this idea around also for my Race Red. But the seam issue is turning me off.

2012 Mustang GT/CS Race Red
Ordered 3-10-11
Build date 4-18-11
Delivered 5-12-11
402A with HIDs, Comfort Package. Flowmaster Hushpower, Eibach Pro Springs, panhard bar, boss splitter, AirRaid CAI and BAMA Tunes.

Apprentice
S197 Member

If it doesn't make the car faster or perform better, why have it? I would never want to use the word "fake" when describing my Mustang.

|2011 Mustang GT 5.0L | 3.73 | Brembo Package | Race Red |

Mods: Borla Cat-back S-Type Exhaust | Barton Shifter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to fox_granit
My wife and I have ours purely for the look, which is what its all about. If you don't want it ok with me. Now mine is taped on, cause I see no bolts under the hood and its from the factory.

2x 2011 GT Premiums, 401a, #4 package, tint and stripes

Yeah owning two 5.0s is awesome, but you want to know what's better?
Having a wife who knows how to drive them!
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I didn't like the "fake" scoop and seam either and decided to go with the Cervini Ram Air Hood. I really like the looks of it, although it took my body shop a few tries to get everything right.

"Remember, in the end, nobody wins unless everybody wins." ~ Bruce Springsteen
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox_granit View Post
Now mine is taped on, cause I see no bolts under the hood and its from the factory.
If it's from the factory you probably have 12 screws. They're just under the insulation (held on with plastic tabs).
Rookie

BTR-75 Wow! Very nice and to me, a tasteful way to set a mustang apart from the rest. I love the stock hood, but you may have sold me!

2011 GT, manual trans, Black, Brembo pkg, security pkg, electronics pkg, comfort pkg. 3:73 gears. 20% tint. It's my mid life crisis.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sept1flood View Post
Any pics you can post? I've been kicking this idea around also for my Race Red. But the seam issue is turning me off.
Sept, here ya go. The seam appears worse in person than in the pictures, IMO.

PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Skype™ to MustangStNick
I checked with a local Restorer and he stated it could be done without any trouble. Additional screws along all the edges would have to be installed under the hood liner{not visible once hood liner is reinstalled} to insure no cracking,
he said he would complete guarentee his work.

Magna 2300 TVS Supercharger,500+RWH,355 Gears, 3" Pypes OffRoad X Pipe,3" GT500 Exhaust w/High Flo Cats, w/GT500 Axel Backs,18"X10" NZO Halo II's w/ Michlin Pilots.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTR-75 View Post
I didn't like the "fake" scoop and seam either and decided to go with the Cervini Ram Air Hood. I really like the looks of it, although it took my body shop a few tries to get everything right.

wow, I had a vision of a Trans Am

Ordered September 11, 2010,
2011 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Kona Blue, Saddle, 19" Luster, 1000 Shaker, Comfort, Security, Rear Camera, Convertible Package 2,
Automatic. Delivered October 29th 2010.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangStNick View Post
I checked with a local Restorer and he stated it could be done without any trouble. Additional screws along all the edges would have to be installed under the hood liner{not visible once hood liner is reinstalled} to insure no cracking,
he said he would complete guarentee his work.
St. Nick did you get a price quote to do everything, including the repaint of the hood?
Apprentice

I think the 2011 saleen hood looks very similar to the stock hood with a scoop, minus the seam of course
Apprentice

Cidsamuth, thanks for the pics. The scoop looks good on your car. Nice ride!

2012 Mustang GT/CS Race Red
Ordered 3-10-11
Build date 4-18-11
Delivered 5-12-11
402A with HIDs, Comfort Package. Flowmaster Hushpower, Eibach Pro Springs, panhard bar, boss splitter, AirRaid CAI and BAMA Tunes.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Skype™ to MustangStNick
I never did get back to Pat about a final price, but I really need to. The scoop looks fine for me, but after seeing this post I just might get it done. I will post up the price for sure.

Magna 2300 TVS Supercharger,500+RWH,355 Gears, 3" Pypes OffRoad X Pipe,3" GT500 Exhaust w/High Flo Cats, w/GT500 Axel Backs,18"X10" NZO Halo II's w/ Michlin Pilots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
scoop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page