Is it Time for the Mustang to get a DSG Transmission? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
And by the way, VW calls it DSG, Porsche calls it PDK, BMW calls it DKG, so on and so forth. Please for this discussion the proper abbreviation is DCT(Dual Clutch Transmission).

THIS!!!!

People keep calling it a "DSG". You wanna know if a Mustang should outsource the trans to VW? That's seriously what you're asking.

Delivered 5/4: 2012 Mustang GT Premium Grabber Blue 401a w/ Grabber Blue stripe - Brembo, 3.73, Comfort, HID, Security w/ reverse sensing, backup cam

Mods: H&R coilovers, BMR adjustable panhard bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Beast3.7

I'd say not to drop the 6mt but simply add paddle shifters to the auto. It doesn't really add cost but allows a little more control over the auto we currently do not have.

PONY Member

Twin Clutch transmissions have a HORRIBLE lag from the line. Muscle Cars are all about fast quarter mile times and off the line speed. My last car was a Lancer Ralliart and it had a Twin Clutch transmission and it was amazing! But the lag off the line sucked, I hated it. Im all for them putting it as an option as long as they get rid of the lag. But replace the auto trans not the manual one.

PONY Member

Paddle shifters will soon be on all true spot cars.
BMW,Corvette,Ferrari( all new Ferrari have Paddle shifters ),Lamborghini, and Porsche. Is Mustang only a 1/4 beast?
CORVETTE'S TRACK TO THE STREET SERIES: PADDLE-SHIFT
PONY Member

All I will say is that I love my mustang, and so far I'm pretty sure it wont be the last one I'll ever buy. But I absolutely refuse to buy one without a normal row my own gears manual transmission. If that option goes out the window to make way for a DSG, the Mustang will definitely be off my shopping list, I dont care if it makes 800hp and does 50mpg and all for 20k.

No stick, no care.

If anything I'd like to see at least an option for an IRS and ditching this LRA stuff. I say optional beacuse I know there are some people out there who still reallly want the LRA.
PONY Member

Dual clutch transmissions are 95% marketing IMO.

Only replacing the torque converter with an electrically-controlled wet clutch is actually interesting. How they change ratios doesn't seem inherantly better than a planetary gearset to me.

take a planetary-gearset automatic, replace the torque converter with a wet clutch, valve it to shift quick, and you get the same performance outcome. Ford could probably do this at any time for a reasonable cost.

ZF already has provisions for the wet-clutch option in some of its newest planetary-gearset automatics.

YouTube - ZF 8-Speed Automatic Transmission

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Maybe I'm a dinosaur but I just don't see the appeal. They seem a tad gimmicky to me.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe • Performance White • 6R80 • HID • 64M Wheels • Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner • GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set • Ohio's Horses License Plate • Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740weapon View Post
Dual clutch transmissions are 95% marketing IMO.

Only replacing the torque converter with an electrically-controlled wet clutch is actually interesting. How they change ratios doesn't seem inherantly better than a planetary gearset to me.

take a planetary-gearset automatic, replace the torque converter with a wet clutch, valve it to shift quick, and you get the same performance outcome. Ford could probably do this at any time for a reasonable cost.

ZF already has provisions for the wet-clutch option in some of its newest planetary-gearset automatics.

YouTube - ZF 8-Speed Automatic Transmission
Seeing how this started out about DSG and not about all Dual clutch transmissions.

YouTube - VWAudi DSG How It Works
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

A well executed paddle shift DCT would be great , I would have gone that route if it was available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page