Just got a Reckless Driving citation! - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
I've lived in VA most of my life and it sure feels like speed enforcement has stepped up several notches over the past year or so. I used to drive for days without seeing a radar trap...now it seems there is one around every corner. I was going around Richmond (275) where the speed limit is 70 in August. I hit the gas to pass a string of cars and end up getting pulled over...81 in a 70. Trooper (in a Dodge Charger) told me that was reckless driving, anything over 80 is reckless in VA regardless of speed limit. In the end he was nice enough to drop it to 79 in a 70 (regular speeding ticket) but it was still a wake-up call.
Sounds like we the people need to take back our govt. How did we let "our" representatives do this to us without voter backlash? We the people have been asleep at the wheel (voting booth)!

2011 Mustang 5.0 412HP SG Charcoal Premium Comfort: Auto, Secure & NAV, Remote, HID, ButtCam & GTcs wheels, Sport Stripes, Roush AB's & plush 5.0 Mats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Here in Pa the legal definition of Reckless Driving is 'willful and wanton disregard". High standard to meet and unlike Va, no speed limit attached. I agree with MoFiveO. Show up for court at least 30 minutes early and try and speak with the cop before your hearing. If he won't agree to present a lower charge to the judge, ask the judge to lower it even if you have to accept some of the more minor penalties usually associated with Reckless. Be prepared though!! Write down, in bullet format, everthing you want to say so that you don't have to try and recall what you want to say from memory. Good luck!

Better To Live One Day As A Lion Than One Hundred Years As A Sheep

2011 GT (Premium)/Race Red/Brick Red-Cashmere Interior/Manual/3.73/Hurst T-Handle Shifter/Brenspeed Tune/Borla S-type Axlebacks/Tint (35%)/Weathertech Digital Mats
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep01 View Post
You should have just out ran the cop.
what's the worst that could happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids81 View Post
Hopefully this is meant to be tongue-in-cheek. If not, it's pretty much the worst advice ever!!
I thougt it was pretty funny.

:hihi:

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.

PONY Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray59 View Post
Here in Pa the legal definition of Reckless Driving is 'willful and wanton disregard". High standard to meet and unlike Va, no speed limit attached. I agree with MoFiveO. Show up for court at least 30 minutes early and try and speak with the cop before your hearing. If he won't agree to present a lower charge to the judge, ask the judge to lower it even if you have to accept some of the more minor penalties usually associated with Reckless. Be prepared though!! Write down, in bullet format, everthing you want to say so that you don't have to try and recall what you want to say from memory. Good luck!
How is going over 80 in these cars both wiillful & wanton? When passing slower traffic or merging, it is safer to do it quickly than sluggishly especially getting around 16 wheelers. Nothing worse than being pancaked next to a 16 wheeler because someone ahead taking their sweet time to pass. if this means temporarily going over 80 mph, so be it. Hardly willful or wanton behavior.

2011 Mustang 5.0 412HP SG Charcoal Premium Comfort: Auto, Secure & NAV, Remote, HID, ButtCam & GTcs wheels, Sport Stripes, Roush AB's & plush 5.0 Mats!
Beast3.7

Just for the folks who do not live in VA or do not know, any speed over 80mph is considered reckless driving regardless of speed limit. There are a few zones on I85 and I95 in southern VA that have 70 mph speed limits and even there if caught doing 80 or higher it's automatically reckess driving. Also radar detectors are illegal. Speeding is definitely a revenue generator for VA.
PONY Member

Attorneys can't represent you better than you representing you unless you come off looking & acting like a punk. Let's see they are in front of those same judges week after week representing losers & working the system for money. I think you are better off representing yourself to get sympathy from the court to reduce it to a speed, especially if you can justify why you felt speeding was necessary to avoid an unsafe situation. It's ok to admit in hindsight it was bad judgement that you have learned from. If nothing else, you saved attorneys fees!

The Silent Majority always get slaughtered! It's always the small minority radicals that impose their will on the majority who don't speak up!
Americans have nothing to apologize for except for letting progressives force their will on the majority. :run_over:
Beast3.7

Actually attorneys do help particularly if they are well known by the court and police and typically can bring up things you might not think of and can make deals because of their networking that you cannot.
PONY Member

there are 2 things you need:

1. blinder extreme laser jammer
2. valentine 1

get those and you'll be in good shape.

oh and the best way to avoid a ticket altogether is this. when a cop asks you "do you know why i stopped you?" and you actually KNOW you were doing something wrong just simply tell the nice officer "because i'm an idiot".

you have no idea how many times that has worked. its not a con, its just the simple fact that EVERYONE lies to the police and most officers just flat out appreciate not being lied to.
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IpureI View Post
Solution 1

Solution 2

I own the cobra, I speed a lot, both on the Garden State Parkway and on local roads, it hasnt failed me once, and has saved me countless times. Without evidence a cop cant give you a ticket unless you are going like visibly faster like 140... and if it doesnt go off.... well theres no evidence now is there?? The passport is the better one... but I got the cobra for 160 bucks on amazon one day... that was quite a deal... shop around, people are selling them for better deals than the MSRP.
i thought radar detectors were illegal in virginia...? oh well lol

1999 Mustang v6 convertible - Sold
2003 Mustang GT Koni STR.T & Vogtland springs
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoto View Post
there are 2 things you need:

1. blinder extreme laser jammer
2. valentine 1

get those and you'll be in good shape.

oh and the best way to avoid a ticket altogether is this. when a cop asks you "do you know why i stopped you?" and you actually KNOW you were doing something wrong just simply tell the nice officer "because i'm an idiot".

you have no idea how many times that has worked. its not a con, its just the simple fact that EVERYONE lies to the police and most officers just flat out appreciate not being lied to.
Check out the penalties for getting caught with a radar detector in VA.

Nobody likes to get caught and have to pay up, including me, but you are only making it worse trying to buck the system. As we all have to pay more for services as health care costs and everything else go up, the average citizen can expect to get bent over in court when busted for a moving violation.

Until we 'take back' our state legislatures, expect more of the same from other states that will follow VA's lead.

-ace72
GT Member

owell things happen... I can't say anything positive about this.

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace72ace View Post
Check out the penalties for getting caught with a radar detector in VA.

Nobody likes to get caught and have to pay up, including me, but you are only making it worse trying to buck the system. As we all have to pay more for services as health care costs and everything else go up, the average citizen can expect to get bent over in court when busted for a moving violation.

Until we 'take back' our state legislatures, expect more of the same from other states that will follow VA's lead.

-ace72

Well said!

ďArbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of Liberty abused to licentiousnessĒ George Washington

-Baru

Ordered (7-12-2010), Brought Home (9-14-2010): V-6 Kona Blue, Pony Pkg 202A, Stone Leather, 6-Speed Manual Trans MT82, White Tape, Comfort Pkg, Rear Video Cam.

Mods: Grabber Pony Shift Knob (Kona Blue), Clear Bra - 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film,
Window Tint - Llumar ATC, White Hood Spears - Graphic Express Stripes & Decals
PONY Member
5.0L Member

VA cops are tough, if you mod your car exhaust they will stop you. No radar detectors in VA, they are illigal. I live in MD edgewater and go over to VA every now and again. Very tough state for traffic.

2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 California Special
Convertible Auto
GT Member

Yes, reckless driving is a court required offense and will KILL your driving record and insurance. It is the same here in Texas. I was pulled over doing 90 in a 60 in my old Mustang. Fortunately, the cop was cool and only gave me a ticket. Anything over 20 over could be recless driving. That ticket cost me $350, plus $250 for an attorney to keep it off my record. Be careful!
PONY Member

tickets

thanks for all the good advice, and yes we all should slow down and be very mindful of speeding laws. I think I will now invest in a radar detector. I know my car is screaming GIVE ME A TICKET!

2011 5.0 Mustang Premium Convertible Sterling Grey, 6 spd Manual, Comfort package, Hood Scoop and rear Pedestal Spoiler, GT500 mufflers, GT500 mud flaps, mini antenna, red caliper covers, Boss shift ball and boot, LED trunk lights, Locking GAS Fuel Plug CAP. Ordered 3/30/2010, build date 5/3/2010. delivered 6/16/2010 car still running in perfect condition.
. :kooky:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page