2011 Mustang GT--DRLs not working? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

2011 Mustang GT--DRLs not working?

From the owner's manual, it seems like the Mustang is supposed to have DRL (daytime running lights). On my '11 GT (USA-spec) with standard halogens + fog lights, the DRLs don't seem to work. At least I can see zero light output when I pull up behind a reflective vehicle or up to my garage door, even on a fairly dark cloudy morning. The low-beams, foglights, and park/turn lamps all seem to work normally. I guess can anyone confirm that the DRL works on their 2011 Mustang?

Strangely, the owners manual does not list any fuses or relays for controlling the DRL. Every other car I've had had a specific fuse or relay for DRL. Is there a simple way to turn DRL off or on?

I tend to disable DRL anyway, so I don't know if I even care, but I just want to make sure nothing is wrong...or if the DRL is messed up in some way, that it's not affecting any other systems.

I do notice my parking brake lever does not quite go all the way down flush to the console. On some cars the parking brake interacts with the DRLs. But my brake warning light is not on, and there is no drag on the car.

Any feedback or ideas? Thanks!

2011 Kona Blue GT Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Pretty sure that DRL's are on the Canadian cars, not US cars. Now that I think about it, DRL's may be a fleet only option on US cars.

On edit: Yep, fleet only option on US cars. 61R package.

2012 Ford Mustang GT
Performance White - Charcoal Black
MT82 - 400A - Glass Roof - 19" Nickel Luster Wheels
Shaker1000 - Comfort Package - HIDS/Security Package
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Canadian cars only.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011
Apprentice

Ya its Canadian only, its honestly one of the few things I hate about my New 5.0, Normally if i was going down a highway approaching a hill in my old US 4.0 i could flick all lights off to quickly check for lights (from a cop car) at the top of a hill, not anymore =/

2011 5.0: Bone stock for now

2005 4.0:
K&N CAI, Dynomax dual exhaust with GT take offs, Hurst Short shifter, Spec Stage II racing clutch, Spec Aluminum flywheel, SCT tuner, Shaftmaster's All aluminum 1 piece drive-shaft "GT-H appearance"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011
PONY Member

Yea, the 2011 manual seems to be poorly written in terms of identifying optional equipment. The MyColor dashlight section fails to note only on equipped cars as well.

2011 Mustang GT Premium
Manual 6Spd, 3.31 Rear
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

OK, thanks for the info! Glad nothing is amiss with the car!

2011 Kona Blue GT Premium
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011
Rookie

Any pics for us? :smilie

Ford or Ford Mustang.:nogrinner
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The fact that Ford doesn't use those daytime moron lights is one of the reasons I like the Mustang. Those stupid lights are just one of the reasons I will NOT own a newer GM product.
My '97 Chevy Stepside had the idiot things when I bought it (used). After getting it home, I checked online and had the DRL module out before the end of my first day with it. Some years ago I had an '02 Chevy truck, and that one I had to manually turn the #$#! things off every time I started it- they couldn't be disconnected.
I will NOT own a car with those stupid, useless lights, and if anyone thinks that they make a 15-20 foot long, 4000-lb vehicle more visible in daylight, they're dreaming. And, if you can't telll when it's time to turn your damn lights on, you shouldn't be driving in the first place!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbt56 View Post
The fact that Ford doesn't use those daytime moron lights is one of the reasons I like the Mustang. Those stupid lights are just one of the reasons I will NOT own a newer GM product.
My '97 Chevy Stepside had the idiot things when I bought it (used). After getting it home, I checked online and had the DRL module out before the end of my first day with it. Some years ago I had an '02 Chevy truck, and that one I had to manually turn the #$#! things off every time I started it- they couldn't be disconnected.
I will NOT own a car with those stupid, useless lights, and if anyone thinks that they make a 15-20 foot long, 4000-lb vehicle more visible in daylight, they're dreaming. And, if you can't telll when it's time to turn your damn lights on, you shouldn't be driving in the first place!
Newer USDM GM cars have DRLs??

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
Yes, Camaro's w/ HID option lose the Fog lights because they are used as DRL's.

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
GM has been using the stupid things since the mid-late '90s. They use them here because they were mandated in Canada (sorry, Canadians- talk to your government), and since they were already wiring the cars and trucks for these idiot lights, they simply activated them here in the states, for no reason. Since then, GM has been petitioning the US gov't to make the things mandatory here, but so far, some tiny shred of common sense has stood in their way. Currently, GM, VW, Audi, and various other companies force buyers to have these stupid things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page