Roush vs. Hushpower vs. GT500 vid - with X pipe! - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Sorry for the dumb question, but when you mention the x pipe(no cats) does that mean you removed the cats? Also I am not quite sure what the x pipe portion is in the grand scheme of the exhaustbsetup, but it sounds like you kept some of it stock. What does changingthe x pipe give you?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifftech View Post
Sorry for the dumb question, but when you mention the x pipe(no cats) does that mean you removed the cats? Also I am not quite sure what the x pipe portion is in the grand scheme of the exhaustbsetup, but it sounds like you kept some of it stock. What does changingthe x pipe give you?
Not a dumb question at all, so no worries!

I replaced the stock H-pipe and the 2 short pipes that come off of the stock exhaust manifolds (the cats are in these pipes) with the Lethal Performance off-road 3"" X pipe.

Lethal Performance 2011 5.0L Mustang GT 3 Offroad X-pipe [LP-2011GTORX] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

I haven't had it on the dyno yet, but the Lethal website says this piece is good for 14 HP, and improves the exhaust flow.

It also lightend the car, as the off-road X weighs considerably less than the parts it replaces.

A tune is required for the off-road X in order to turn off the second set of O2 sensors, and to prevent the dumping of fuel intended to cool the cats that no longer exist.

Hope that helps!

2011GTCS
'18 Kona Blue GT Premium | PP1 | Whipple Gen 5 Stage 1 | MMR OPGs and sprocket | UPR Catch Can | Barton hybrid 3 | Custom DSS chromoly DS (1400hp) | DSS half shafts (1400hp) | Steeda IRS Subframe Support Braces | Steeda Jacking Rails | Shelby CS3 Wheels 9.5 & 11 x 20 | NT555 G2 275/35/20 front, 315/35/20 rear
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011GTCS View Post

I replaced the stock H-pipe and the 2 short pipes that come off of the stock exhaust manifolds (the cats are in these pipes) with the Lethal Performance off-road 3"" X pipe.

Lethal Performance 2011 5.0L Mustang GT 3 Offroad X-pipe [LP-2011GTORX] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

I haven't had it on the dyno yet, but the Lethal website says this piece is good for 14 HP, and improves the exhaust flow.

It also lightend the car, as the off-road X weighs considerably less than the parts it replaces.

A tune is required for the off-road X in order to turn off the second set of O2 sensors, and to prevent the dumping of fuel intended to cool the cats that no longer exist.

Hope that helps!

Can't you get a ticket or a fine for taking off cats? Would there be any benefit in replacing the h pipe and keeping the cats? I have Roush axle backs on order and wonder if changing the h pipe would be good?

Thanks, Chris

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifftech View Post

Can't you get a ticket or a fine for taking off cats? Would there be any benefit in replacing the h pipe and keeping the cats? I have Roush axle backs on order and wonder if changing the h pipe would be good?

Thanks, Chris
Yes, it's illegal to modify the emissions system.

With that said, I've always ran without cats on prior cars and have been on forums like this for years, and I've never heard of anyone getting a fine for removing the cats.

2011 Mustang GT
PONY Member

Quote:

Hope that helps!
How bad does it smell now? I hate the smell of exhaust prior to vehicles being equipped with cats...

I wonder how the heartthrob cat back (with stock cats and with h-pipe) would perform compared to your setup? ( I know they claim 22hp or somewhere around there but I find that a bit exaggerated.)
post #36 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquill1 View Post
How bad does it smell now? I hate the smell of exhaust prior to vehicles being equipped with cats...

I wonder how the heartthrob cat back (with stock cats and with h-pipe) would perform compared to your setup? ( I know they claim 22hp or somewhere around there but I find that a bit exaggerated.)
Once in a while I get a whiff after I've turned the car off. Other than that, I haven't noticed it at all.

But it is winter up here, and the windows are almost always up and the top is never down. I haven't noticed it at the drive thrus I've been at (bank, coffe shop, etc.)

I'm not sure about Hearthrob's claims either, but it seems like a lot to me too...

2011GTCS
'18 Kona Blue GT Premium | PP1 | Whipple Gen 5 Stage 1 | MMR OPGs and sprocket | UPR Catch Can | Barton hybrid 3 | Custom DSS chromoly DS (1400hp) | DSS half shafts (1400hp) | Steeda IRS Subframe Support Braces | Steeda Jacking Rails | Shelby CS3 Wheels 9.5 & 11 x 20 | NT555 G2 275/35/20 front, 315/35/20 rear
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquill1 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like the GT500 axleback is just more of a "tame" sounding version of the roush? I personally hate the HP's and couldn't believe you took the roush's off and sold them (with the x and roush though it sounded too loud.)

To me I think you found the best combination for what you have running...

Roush-needs stock exhaust (no X)
GT500-needs x-pipe
I was thinking the same things as I watched the videos. I have Roush and love them. But with the xpipe I liked the GT500 better.
post #38 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric45 View Post
I was thinking the same things as I watched the videos. I have Roush and love them. But with the xpipe I liked the GT500 better.
Yup!

The one piece you guys are missing though is the drone - HP and Roush drone on my car, the GT500 has no drone at all.

2011GTCS
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Any thoughts of the sound with stock pipes with the GT500's
PONY Member

Quote:
Yup!

The one piece you guys are missing though is the drone - HP and Roush drone on my car, the GT500 has no drone at all.
I can only imagine the drone and overall amount of noise in general with a x-pipe attached!

My buddy's stock car vibrates all over from the sound of the roush with the rest of the car stock! X-pipe would be too much, IMO.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmag1 View Post
I'd like to know the answer to that question as well. Is the X-pipe the difference maker or do the GT500s sound good, with the rest of the exhaust being stock?

Ordered 3/7/11 2012 Mustang GT Premium Coupe, Kona Blue Metallic, Stone Interior, 400A, 6-Spd Manual, HID/Security Pkg., 3.55 LTD Slip, Comfort Pkg., Brembo Brake Pkg., Rear Video Camera.
VIN# 5/13/11
Window Sticker Published 5/20/11
Build Date 5/26/11
Delivery Date 6/6/11 Changed to 6/12/11
Delivered 7/1/11
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Fastredponycar
Stock mid pipe/gt500 mufflers

YouTube - 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 with GT500 exhaust mufflers

2012 GT Premuim - Candy Metallic Red, MT82, Comfort package, Reverse Camera, Brembos and 3.73's.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

373 RWHP / 356 TQ - Stock on 87 octane
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I got the GT500 mufflers only on my GT/CS, the rest is stock. You can hear the exhaust in different parts of the video. Hope that helps.

YouTube - 2011 Ford Mustang GT California Special

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

AC, so in your opinion, the GT500 is a worthwhile good upgrade, with the sound being deeper. And also you video was very entertaining.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
AC, so in your opinion, the GT500 is a worthwhile good upgrade, with the sound being deeper. And also you video was very entertaining.
Thanks!
Oh yes, just the GT500 Mufflers are very worth it, the video doesn't represent the reality that well, the sound is totally awesome and nothing close to the stock Mufflers; they're really worth it and I love it!
I would recommend them to anyone! The tips are bigger (4") makes the rear end looks meaner, and the sound is just a thrill, I find myself not listening to the radio more often than before, just to hear that rumble!
Plus, these are Ford Racing parts, so I'd rather stay with what's factory for the warranty and even for being stock on the GT500; I don't want to turn my Mustang into a tuning cruiser...
The good thing with these Mufflers, is that you have the nice rumble at low speed, the deep sound when you step on it, but then on the freeway on 6 gear, they're not that loud (almost as stock), so you won't have too much noise when driving long distances on the highway; that's of course if you don't step on it...
As you can see, I don't regret 1 second my purchase.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page