Has only added OEM HID after purchase? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Has only added OEM HID after purchase?

Just what the title says. Maybe get the whole unit mail order cheaper than buying the $900 option HID and security package?

'12 Kona Blue GT500 SVTPP/Electronics package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

nice thought but...

My selling dealer explained the original parts alone cost over $2000 to retrofit OEM hid onto a non HID Mustang GT. So I went aftermarket... for $300 installed.

2011 Candy Apple red Mustang Premium GT, auto, Baer brakes, lowered, SVT Shelby Wheels 19" front and 20" rear with Goodyear F1 tires.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011
Apprentice

I am currently adding OEM HID's to my non HID mustang GT. I have a brand new set of OEM HID headlights waiting to be put on my mustang, but I am having second thoughts for some reason. Im starting to like the look of the halogen headlamps much more than the HID's. I still have not decided what I am going to do, but if you are interested in buying these off of me, I may consider selling them.

2011 GT

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I'm a few months from buying a mustang, so don' t need them yet. But to make this a great thread, how about part numbers/price paid and a picture of the setup? That way others can do the upgrade too.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011
Rookie

Even though I've already done my retrofit I'm curious about prices as well. I've heard as high as $5000 for a complete OEM retrofit. Ridiculous IMO when you can do it yourself for much cheaper and better results. Before I did mine I did a little research and couldn't find any of the OEM parts...
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011
Apprentice

The part number on the headlights are AR33-13005-C. The entire assembly includes bulbs, ballast, and projectors. The link below has an illustration of everything as well as pricing. Still have not installed these in my car though. I think I'm going by the dealership tomorrow or friday to see what installation is going to be like.

Silver State Ford Parts (Formerly DIRECTFORDPARTS.COM)Genuine Ford Truck Parts Lincoln Mercury Parts OEM Ford Parts and Accessories

2011 GT
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I ordered an '11 that came in accidentally came in HIDless and the dealer would rather give me a better deal on a '12 than to retrofit the '11.

When you consider the HID package comes with the alarm it doesn't seem nearly as bad price-wise, at least it didn't to me. Plus I'd think it would be far less trouble all around. I can see not going this route however if you like the way the non-HID car looks better as many do.

I was quoted the same price as CandyRed, $2000, for the parts alone to do the retrofit up to factory specs. And that doesn't even include the labor. YIKES.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yup, that solves it- worth it to order the option.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm17 View Post
Yup, that solves it- worth it to order the option.
That's really only the viable option if you want OEM, other than finding one on the lot. Installing OEM after the fact is not worth the cost, IMO.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

glad my car came with them. it was only mine and another one that had it out of 65 cars on the lot.

2011 V6 Premium - Ingot Silver|Auto w/2.73|MCA Edition|HID|NAV|Camera|Security
18x9/18x10 Bullitt Wheels|GT500 Rear Diffuser|Billet Antenna|Stillen Chin Spoiler|FRPP Brace|Flowmaster AB
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaero066 View Post
The part number on the headlights are AR33-13005-C. The entire assembly includes bulbs, ballast, and projectors. The link below has an illustration of everything as well as pricing. Still have not installed these in my car though. I think I'm going by the dealership tomorrow or friday to see what installation is going to be like.

Silver State Ford Parts (Formerly DIRECTFORDPARTS.COM)Genuine Ford Truck Parts Lincoln Mercury Parts OEM Ford Parts and Accessories
Hi Mate,

Did you take some pictures of the back of headlights with and without HID?? I want to see if the connectors are identical... I mean straight forward retrofit.

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subiaur View Post
Hi Mate,

Did you take some pictures of the back of headlights with and without HID?? I want to see if the connectors are identical... I mean straight forward retrofit.

I have a new oem set of 2011 HID assemblies sitting in front of me and the headlight connector IS different - 4 pin and the HID lights require a separate VBAT connection.

Anybody have a service manual printout of the connector pinout for both the Halogen (H13/9008) and HID (WPT-925)?

2004 Mustang Cobra Mystichrome
2012 Mustang Boss 302 White

Last edited by najay; 11-24-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by najay View Post
I have a new oem set of 2011 HID assemblies sitting in front of me and the headlight connector IS different - 4 pin and the HID lights require a separate VBAT connection.

Anybody have a service manual printout of the connector pinout for both the Halogen (H13/9008) and HID (WPT-925)?
Yup, connection is different. I swapped my halogens for the OEM HID kit, parts and labor were around 900 bucks.

2011 GT
GT Member

I recommend the OEMs. Plus you get the security pkg.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
PONY Member

The OEM is gonne be cheaper than to it after words . The other two options are aftermarket HID kits ( $150-300) or the complete headlights with Halos from American muscle.

:kooky:
Past
2012 Mustang GT - Prem, 392 Rwhp
GTO ( LS2) 498rwhp ( the best car seats)
Z06 (the widest rear tires)
CTS-V :shiny: (no options left behind)
TSX ( a great commuter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page