GT middle two (fog?) lights. Keeping them on! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

GT middle two (fog?) lights. Keeping them on!

Info-
The GT has the 4 lights. The two outer lights are high and low.
The middle two lights are low only.
When you turn the high beams on, the middle two go off.
I keep my turn knob on auto. I want to keep it on this. I don't want to forget my lights are on anywhere!

Question-
Is there a way to get the middle two fog lights to stay on even if the outer two lights are set to high-beam?

~Thanks.

PS- This car looks bad f(*#^$% a&* with all 4 on. This is why I ask.

2011 Mustang GT, Black with Black stripe.
6 Speed Manual.
3.73 + Brembo Brake Package.
Comfort Package.
Charcoal Black Interior.
Appearance Package 4.(Hood Scoop and Rear Spoiler)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011
PONY Member

I asked that same question and I can't figure out a way without modification.

a buddy told me there exists a law here that does not allow for more than 4 lights on at a time. 2-low beam, + 2 high beam= 4 lights. or 2 low beam + 2 fog lights = 4 lights.

I figured it had something to do with the original intent of fog lights, if you turn the brights on in fog you are blinded by the illuminated fog, low beams and low aimed fog lights would not benefit from the brights being added while driving in fog.. like you, I was just thinking all the light I could get on at once the better.

2011 V6 Premium ,Grabber Blue/White Stripes/Charcoal Black, Auto/2.73, 202A Pony Package, Comfort Package.

Mods, Factory Engine Cover, Ford Strut Tower Brace, 19" Painted Aluminum Wheels/245-45-19 P-Zeros, Wheel Locks, Ford Accessory Alarm, Ford All-Weather Mats, window tint, spare tire/jack, cam cap mod.
on deck... Polk Audio db571 X 4 speakers & baffles
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
Its that way for one of two reasons. 1 so its not too blinding to the other people, and the 2nd reason is so it doesn't draw too much power having the high beams and the low beams.

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011
Apprentice

You will need to figure how to bypass the relay that turns them off on 'High' ... I had that mod on a previous car and was very simple to do ... I don't have my GT yet, but i will make it when it arrives ...

Arrived on 6/17!!

2012 GT Premium 400A Black/Black: 3.73,
Brembo, Security, Rear Sensors & Camera, HID's, Comfort
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ9753 View Post
You will need to figure how to bypass the relay that turns them off on 'High' ... I had that mod on a previous car and was very simple to do ... I don't have my GT yet, but i will make it when it arrives ...
If you do can you make a post on how you did it? Or PM me. I really want to do this.

6 Speed Manual.
Comfort Package.
Charcoal Black Interior.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclearranger View Post
If you do can you make a post on how you did it? Or PM me. I really want to do this.
Nuclear I'd say that's a bit over the top except I've been thinking along similar over the top lines myself and wondering if it's possible to have the CS valance with fogs AND the stock grille fogs both, LOL.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe • Performance White • 6R80 • HID • 64M Wheels • Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner • GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set • Ohio's Horses License Plate • Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011
Apprentice

That's exactly my intention ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412horses View Post
Nuclear I'd say that's a bit over the top except I've been thinking along similar over the top lines myself and wondering if it's possible to have the CS valance with fogs AND the stock grille fogs both, LOL.
That's exactly what I'm thinking ... Not 4 but six lights up front ... Regular fogs,(but in an Eleonor Grille) + CS balance w/fogs + my HID's ....
Some wiring will have to be beefed-up , but very minimal change ... just to be safe ...

Arrived on 6/17!!

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ9753 View Post
That's exactly what I'm thinking ... Not 4 but six lights up front ... Regular fogs,(but in an Eleonor Grille) + CS balance w/fogs + my HID's ....
Some wiring will have to be beefed-up , but very minimal change ... just to be safe ...
Great minds think alike.

Does anyone know if that would adversely effect the electrical system? Or will LJ and I need to do something with that too?

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe • Performance White • 6R80 • HID • 64M Wheels • Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner • GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set • Ohio's Horses License Plate • Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011
PONY Member

Yes the wiring may be modified to permit the fogs to be on with low beams and high beams.

The logic for this control is within the Smart Junction Block. The fog lamp relay is integrated into this assembly.

The feed to the fog lamps is a brown / yellow wire connected to pin 3 of the Smart Junction Block.

The fog light indicator lamp is fed by a brown / yellow wire connected to pin 6 of the Smart Junction Block. This wire is +12V when the fog lamps are illuminated and 0V when off.

The fog light switch is a grey / violet wire connected to pin 49 of the Smart Junction Block. The fog lamp switch drives this to ground, presumably to turn on the fog lamps.

There are lots of ways to modify the vehicle for this change. The simplest-to-understand way to implement this change is to add two additional 12V SPDT relays.

The relays have a coil side and a SPDT switch side.
  1. Connect one end of the coil on each relay together.
  2. Connect the switch common on each relay together.
  3. Connect the normally open switch contact on each relay together.
  4. Cut the fog light switch grey / violet pin 49 wire from the Smart Junction Block and connect the wire to the two common coils connected in step 1. (The wire end, not the Smart Junction Block end.)
  5. Connect the other end of the coil to +12V that is hot when the vehicle is running.
  6. Cut the fog lamp feed wire, the brown / yellow wire connected to pin 3 of the Smart Junction Block.
  7. Cut the fog light indicator lamp wire, a brown / yellow wire connected to pin 6 of the Smart Junction Block.
  8. Connect the feed wire (step 6) and the indicator wire (step 7) together.
  9. Connect the feed / indicator wires connected together in step 8 to the relay switch commons connected in step 2 together.
  10. Connect the open end of one coil to the left low beam feed, the brown / blue wire at pin 13 of the Smart Junction Block. Do NOT cut the pin 13 wire.
  11. Connect the open end of the other coil to the high beam feed, the yellow / violet wire at pin 2 of the Smart Junction Block. Do NOT cut the pin 2 wire.
  12. Connect the relays normally open contact that was connected together in step 3 to the fused side of F21, the 15A fog lamp relay.
These changes will permit the fog lamps to be on when the vehicle is running and be on with either the low beams or the high beams.

With any wire project, always disconnect and secure the battery negative terminal.

This is an involved project and should only be attemped by those with expert wiring experience.

2011 GT Mustang - Performance White / Brick Red - Cashmere : 401A : Brembo : Electronics PKG : Spoiler Delete : 3.73:1 : Glass Roof : Comfort PKG : Security PKG : HID
PONY Member

The Smart Junction Block is in the passenger footwell, on the right side wall, forward of the door hinge.

2011 GT Mustang - Performance White / Brick Red - Cashmere : 401A : Brembo : Electronics PKG : Spoiler Delete : 3.73:1 : Glass Roof : Comfort PKG : Security PKG : HID
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Wow quite the process.
You would think you could just plug the fogs into the wires that go to the main headlights and call it good!

6 Speed Manual.
Comfort Package.
Charcoal Black Interior.

Grimace427

Just an FYI, your car will fail state inspection in most states, most definitely in TX and VA. Proceed with caution.
Apprentice

Just read the explanation of the Power Distribution Panel ... and the other responses to this thread ..... Hmmm , thinking thinking thinking ..... Lots of wild ideas :kooky:come to my mind .... !!!

Grim... a small hidden switch could be used to return to normal operation ... besides, yearly inspections here are a joke ... New cars get a two year no inspection required and after that sometimes the Tech doesn't even looks at the car ... they concentrate on the emissions and that's it ....

Arrived on 6/17!!

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Just an FYI, your car will fail state inspection in most states, most definitely in TX and VA. Proceed with caution.
Not likely... not unless the inspector has the same misunderstanding of the law. The law only permits four lights at a time. Dual beam headlights like on a Mustang are not considered four lights when the high beams are on - they're just two high beams, one on each side. Also, there is no law that says you can't have fog lights on at the same time as high beams as long as you don't exceed the four light limit. Manufacturers do that because having fog lights on with high beams makes no sense functionally - it would be only for appearance.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
PONY Member

Edited to list connector numbers...

Yes the wiring may be modified to permit the fogs to be on with low beams and high beams.

The logic for this control is within the Smart Junction Block. The fog lamp relay is integrated into this assembly.

The feed to the fog lamps is a brown / yellow wire connected to C2280E pin 3 of the Smart Junction Block.

The fog light indicator lamp is fed by a brown / yellow wire connected to C2280A pin 6 of the Smart Junction Block. This wire is +12V when the fog lamps are illuminated and 0V when off.

The fog light switch is a grey / violet wire connected to C2280B pin 49 of the Smart Junction Block. The fog lamp switch drives this to ground, presumably to turn on the fog lamps.

There are lots of ways to modify the vehicle for this change. The simplest-to-understand way to implement this change is to add two additional 12V SPDT relays.

The relays have a coil side and a SPDT switch side.
  1. Connect one end of the coil on each relay together.
  2. Connect the switch common on each relay together.
  3. Connect the normally open switch contact on each relay together.
  4. Cut the fog light switch grey / violet C2280B pin 49 wire from the Smart Junction Block and connect the wire to the two common coils connected in step 1. (The wire end, not the Smart Junction Block end.)
  5. Connect the other end of the coil to +12V that is hot when the vehicle is running.
  6. Cut the fog lamp feed wire, the brown / yellow wire connected to C2280E pin 3 of the Smart Junction Block.
  7. Cut the fog light indicator lamp wire, a brown / yellow wire connected to C2280A pin 6 of the Smart Junction Block.
  8. Connect the feed wire (step 6) and the indicator wire (step 7) together.
  9. Connect the feed / indicator wires connected together in step 8 to the relay switch commons connected in step 2 together.
  10. Connect the open end of one coil to the left low beam feed, the brown / blue wire at C2280E pin 13 of the Smart Junction Block. Do NOT cut the C2280E pin 13 wire.
  11. Connect the open end of the other coil to the high beam feed, the yellow / violet wire at C2280E pin 2 of the Smart Junction Block. Do NOT cut the C2280E pin 2 wire.
  12. Connect the relays normally open contact that was connected together in step 3 to the fused side of F21, the 15A fog lamp relay.
These changes will permit the fog lamps to be on when the vehicle is running and be on with either the low beams or the high beams.

With any wire project, always disconnect and secure the battery negative terminal.

This is an involved project and should only be attemped by those with expert wiring experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page