Ford Mustang Forum banner

Are you happy with your AUTOMATIC transmission

• Yes I am happy - No Problems

Votes: 268 80.2%
  • No I'm not happy - Have problems

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • Kind of happy - I have occassional issues.

Votes: 52 15.6%

Are You Happy With Your 2011 + Mustang Automatic Transmission

70K views 187 replies 91 participants last post by  FuelforFire87 
#1 ·
Since we have a Poll for the 2011 manual transmission. Figured I'd add one for the 2011 automatic as well. There are some automatic owners that have complained about a rough downshifting shifting issue and have a thread dedicated to that problem. Again, please vote so we can see how widespread the issue is. Feel free to share your general thoughts about your automatic!

#40 ·
I have not driven an automatic Mustang since 2005.

Today while i was buying my GT/CS, i drove one of the autos (i think i drove half the 11s they had on the lot just for the heck of it).

Man, i understand why the auto owners get tunes now. The delay from pedal to throttle....well i put it to the floor, and pulled out a book and read the first 4 or 5 chapters...then it seemed to downshift into 3rd for a second (or something im not sure what it was doing)....and so i read about 2 more chapters of the book and it finally shifted down to second.

Unbelieveable. I didnt bother finishing the test drive..i swung her around in the middle of the street, pulled her back into the lot, parked her and said "no thanks".

#45 ·
Just doesn't downshift into first unless I'm at ~20mph or less.
Per the manual:
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OPERATION (IF EQUIPPED)
Driving with a 6–speed automatic transmission
Your vehicle has been designed to improve fuel economy by reducing
fuel usage while coasting or decelerating. When you take your foot off
the accelerator pedal and the vehicle begins to slow down the torque
converter clutch locks up and aggressively shuts off fuel flow to the
engine while decelerating. This fuel economy benefit may be perceived
as a light to medium braking sensation when removing your foot from
the accelerator pedal.
1st (First) Gear
This position allows for first gear only.
• Provides maximum engine braking.
• Will not downshift into first gear at high speeds; will cause the
transmission to downshift to a lower gear, then allows for first gear
when the vehicle reaches slower speeds.
There you have it, the automatic was designed with fuel economy in mind, not performance.

Says the man with a V6. This has got to be one of the most ignorant comments I've seen recently.
These comments go hand in hand. Sure the auto is just fine running the 1/4 mile, because the throttle is on steady full. The problem on the road is the auto shifts slower on deceleration/acceleration into & out of turns.......

#53 ·
Per the manual:
1st (First) Gear
This position allows for first gear only.
• Provides maximum engine braking.
• Will not downshift into first gear at high speeds; will cause the
transmission to downshift to a lower gear, then allows for first gear
when the vehicle reaches slower speeds
There you have it, the automatic was designed with fuel economy in mind, not performance.
Wow. So autos were designed not to downshift into 1st at anything more than 50% of it's rpm range.

I just have the V6, but the 5.0 guys have to be really ticked off ...

#46 ·
I love my auto! While it seems a bit jumpy at times for driving conservatively, it absolutely wrecks when I drive aggressively

#47 ·
This poll is a little stacked to skew towards a lower score for the automatics than is actually warranted if you ask me... it's not really the car's fault if someone is not happy because they picked an automatic and wished they had a manual.

This post has been deleted
G
#52 ·
DUH, if I wanted a manual I would buy one. The automatics are the best option if you don't do autocross, for the drag strip they are great, for the street they are great, for gas mileage they are great. I was very very happy with my auto until it started malfunctioning. The only problem is that Ford won't acknowledge that there is a problem
Hi thelastsumurai,

I looked over your case and saw your last conversation with your Customer Service Manager. Have you been able to bring your vehicle in to another dealer for them to duplicate and diagnose your concern? If so, let me know so I can forward the info to her. I would like for you to continue loving your Mustang.:)

Deysha

#49 ·
I read they are rated to 800lb-ft, so I think they should be pretty reliable especially on a stock car.

#56 ·
The stock automatic transmission can hold up to 800HP from what I have read. After I load the Bama tune my car drives like animal made a world of difference with the shifts.

#58 ·
Love my automatic. I've had problems with Ford automatics before -- had to replace two transmissions on my old '87 Taurus -- but this one seems fantastic. My only complaint is that I get a resonance at 1200-1400 RPM which creates a slight rattling noise in my dashboard... which happens to be the rev range for 65 mph cruising. D'oh! It's not loud, but it gets annoying when it happens for a half hour straight.

#59 ·
I have had a 2011 V6 for almost 6,000 miles and I could not be more disappointed in the transmission. at low speeds, shifts are perceptible and uncomfortable. Sometimes you can feel the engine spin, and the transmission lurches into gear. I had the car at two dealers, who were nice and told me this is "normal vehicle performance." This was echoed by the CSR I reached. She also told me that Ford has received many complaints of this nature, but has not posted any fixes, and has not acknowledged that it is an issue.

I have owned many cars (I am almost 60.) If this is Ford's best effort, it is pathetic. I tend to believe that my car is the problem, but that Ford is ignoring it because there have not been enough complaints yet.

This is my first Ford and, I fear, the last. Shame on you, Ford.

#60 ·
Which dealer? Curious also is the auto in the V6 the same as in the GT?

#61 ·
Its all about the tune - if you stick with fords stock tune for your auto your stuck with a casual driving experience perfect for grandma. Get a 91 race type tune, fix some parameters (get rid of fords stupid safety, casual garbage) and your auto transmission mustang turns into a freaking monster....

#70 ·
I just got back from the track about 1 hour ago I have a stock auto, my best time was 13.35 at 107. I raced with a bunch of buddies who had there camaro SS manual they were running about 13.6's. It was high 80's-90 outside. It was my first time in the car at the track but I think I could do a bit better most all my speeds were 106 mph. The trottle lag is a bit of a ***** I need more practice. Lots of fun, the auto was great, smoth just right! I did race a 2011/12 V6 and he ran a 14.3 I ran a 13.4 on that run just to compare a 6v vs a v8:bigthumbsup

#71 ·
1.1 second sure isn't a bad difference. I wonder if he was modded and auto/manual.

#72 ·
I had the bump/clunk problem when coming to a stop. The dealer replaced the shift solenoids in the transmission. That completely resolved the clunk. I still sometimes get a mild bump. I think it is drivetrain play, but the dealer checked that and said it is OK.

The transmission may sometimes lurch forward when coming to a stop. This is irritating and dangerous. You could hit the car in front of you if you're not firmly on the brake.

Before the shift solenoids were replaced, shifting was very sluggish. I could push the gas pedal half-way to the floor while doing 65 mph and the car would not respond. Finally it would abruptly downshift. This seems to be fixed now.

#75 ·
I wasnt at all happy with the automatic in my 2012 v6 until I tuned it. The stock shifting was mushy and drove me nuts. The American Muscle tune firmed the shifts right up. It shifts out of first a little high ( around 2400 rpm) but other than that the tune really improved the transmission performance.

#76 ·
^ Once my car is paid off and my warranty expires, maybe I'll get a tune.

#79 ·
Kia's Actually make some nice, sharp looking cars nowadays. Saw a brand new white Optima on the highway the other day and it's a really sharp, expensive looking car. That little SUV they make is really cool looking too.

G
#80 ·
I have a 2012 Mustang GT auto, and had a 2006 GT auto before.

While it's not perfect, the 2012 auto certainly isn't nearly as sluggish as the previous Mustang and does have a better response than the 2006.

I dont want to take a chance on a tune right now and cylinder #8 blowing up. I can't afford 7k for a new engine or to fight them over it.

#81 ·
If you don't want to take the chance, thats fine. Its better to be safe with a waranty IMO. Just throwing it out there though, there have been issues with #8 with out a tune too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.