Ford Mustang Forum banner

Are you happy with your AUTOMATIC transmission

• Yes I am happy - No Problems

Votes: 268 80.2%
  • No I'm not happy - Have problems

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • Kind of happy - I have occassional issues.

Votes: 52 15.6%

Are You Happy With Your 2011 + Mustang Automatic Transmission

70K views 187 replies 91 participants last post by  FuelforFire87 
#1 ·
Since we have a Poll for the 2011 manual transmission. Figured I'd add one for the 2011 automatic as well. There are some automatic owners that have complained about a rough downshifting shifting issue and have a thread dedicated to that problem. Again, please vote so we can see how widespread the issue is. Feel free to share your general thoughts about your automatic!

#82 ·
I havm't had any problems with my auto, but i agree the tuning for the trans is awefull. I have driven a few F150's with the same trans, and the tuning for the trans is a lot better. Also the throttle lag is something that drives me nuts, well when I have my stock tune, which I am running right now since I just did the tsb on my car, and the dealer reflashed my ecu. My JDM tune resolved many of the ford programing, but there are one or two little things I want improved. I am going down there next week, and getting Jim to make a few changes

Another thing I would like to see is the hill assist button should be a overdrive off button

#84 ·
Well, I thought going with the American-made automatic transmission would be the better bet, but not so fast.

My less than 2-month old car with about 2500 miles has developed a transmission leak. I have a service appointment for tomorrow. I'll know more then... :/

Other than that, the car has been amazing.

G
#85 ·
Well, I thought going with the American-made automatic transmission would be the better bet, but not so fast.

My less than 2-month old car with about 2500 miles has developed a transmission leak. I have a service appointment for tomorrow. I'll know more then... :/

Other than that, the car has been amazing.
It is. Tranny leak a lot easier to fix than having a POS MT82.

Where did you buy your Mustang from? I got mine from Dave Sinclair. One of the last new auto Mustangs left in the St. Louis area and Missouri it seems.

#88 ·
Cracked torque converter seal was the diagnosis. They had to order the part, so I have to bring my car back at a later date :/

Thankfully it's not more severe.

#90 ·
i've had the auto for 3 months now. gradually applying gas gets you the infamous lag, tapping the pedal with full resolve or stomping on it turns the car into a bat out of hell. there is no way that someone with a stick could drop down into 2nd or 3rd faster than than it takes the auto to respond confidently.

the trick is you have to tell this tranny what you want it to do. on the flip side, you will probably get looks from passengers when their head snaps back as there are no half measures with regards to acceleration.....i guess this is what the mustang is all about: explosive speed.

even when driven as i mentioned, the lag is not 100% gone, but you really do get used to it as a daily driver and even start to appreciate its peculiarities.

as i said, while its not the most responsive auto out there, it will downshift just as fast as the best stick driver.

#99 ·
Since I've had my 2012 5.0, I've seen maybe 4 or 5 GT's. The rest are the New Edge and 05-09 models running around.

But I'm pretty happy with the auto tranny, I guess. However, I plan on getting the BAMA tune within the next 6 months to wake it up. It shifts like a Ford Taurus right now.

#100 ·
I don't see many of the new style mustangs at all. I see mostly the previous body style. The ones I do see are v6's. I've literally only seen 2 or 3 5.0's and only one fellow GT/CS. Since my GT/CS doesn't have any 5.0 badges and has a pony on the faux gas cap, I'm sure people think mine is a v6. Until I take off, that is :gringreen

G
#101 ·
Same here. Since last Spring of 2010 I've maybe seen a total of 8 5.0s

Really don't see a lot at all. I don't even see a lot of 2010 Gts but I do see a bit more of them than 2011-2012s.

Plus with the MT82 disaster we will probably see even fewer next year especially within the next couple months when a recall is likely issued and the media eats it up.

The Camaro and Challengers and Vettes I see tons of around St. Louis.

Ford needs to fix this mess and quick, but with no way of really fixing the MT82 cause it's junk the only real fix is to replace them with magnums which will be VERY costly to Ford.

#102 ·
Called service for an update on my ordered part. Still hasn't arrived and no tracking number. I found out they ordered and intend to replace the whole transmission fluid pump rather than just the torque converter seal, per Ford's request. Sounds like I'm not the only person with the same transmission fluid leakage problem.

#103 ·
i have had my auto for about a month. 1k miles, no issues whatsoever and my last 3 cars (two Mustang GT's and a GTO) were all manuals. I got a really good deal on this auto, and I was skeptical, but I couldn't pass up the deal. SO glad I got an auto now though. I would prefer a little stiffer shifting though but that's an easy fix. Other than that, couldn't be happier!

#104 ·
Got a call and my transmission fluid pump has arrived and I'm scheduled to have it replaced on Monday.

Hopefully it all goes well and I don't have anymore problems with this car.

#106 ·
Clearly they shipped us a bad batch :shigrin

I never did update my post from a few weeks ago. They ended up replacing just the seal according to the work order, even though they ordered the whole pump. I was originally told the seal was the bad part, but later found out they were waiting for the whole pump to ship.

Regardless, I haven't had any leaks since.

#108 ·
Well I am about to break 1700 miles with my Mustang and overall I am happy with the Automatic Transmission, I have Ford's 6 speed Auto in all of my families vehicles. A 2009 Escape Limited 3.0L V6, a 2011 Ford Edge Limited 3.5L V6 and of course my 2012 Mustang Pony Package 3.7L V6. In all vehicles the 6 speed auto has met our expectations and seemed to have gotten better overtime, the Escape is the oldest at 40k miles and the transmission has been flawless so far.

On the Mustang I do notice a brief pause when flooring it from a dead stop but this is sadly common with all Automatic's, it's nothing excessive really. The real key to getting all you can out of this engine/transmission combo is shutting down the Advanced Trac system. It makes a noticeable improvement in acceleration/responsiveness IMO. I was thinking about getting a tune to improve the performance and risk my warranty but I don't see the point. In time I expect the transmission to get even more responsive as it learns.

So yeah I would buy the Automatic. :bigthumbsup

#109 ·
I liked the auto, but there were issues with the stock tune. The throttle response wasn't that great and would take a second or two to respond when trying to pass a car. I put on a tune from BAMA and it's been a lot better. My only complaint right now is the harsh downshifting I experience when rolling up to a stop sign or red light.

#111 ·
Well I've hit 40,000 miles on my 2011. Lots of highway driving. In my previous posts I talked about having issues with the transmission making a bump or thud after stopping. Ford changed the solenoid paks in the transmission at 27,000 miles and it seemed better...for a while.

Here is my new transmission / drivetrain problem (and of course the dealer can't duplicate it). When accelerating normally from a dead stop, there is occasionally a big "lag" - actually a complete loss of propulsion from the drivetrain - and the car will crawl at about 0.5 mph while trying to get into gear. I have watched the tachometer and it makes it to about 1100 rpm before I feel, and hear, a "bam!" from the drive train and the car lurches forward when 1st gear engages. The loss of power can last for 2 to 3 seconds and can result in other drivers thinking you are letting them go first at a stop.

Is this a definitely a transmission issue or possibly a differential issue? The bam-jolt seems to come from behind the drivers seat. Any thoughts would be helpful. This issue is killing my buzz...:mesad:

#112 ·
My car has had this same issue from the first week of ownership. It happens often during stop and go traffic or when I am trying to drive slowly through a parking lot, etc. It seems to be related to the bump/lurch upon stopping. At least for me and other people, if you have one you usually have both. Have you not experienced it before? Perhaps these are two unrelated issues that just happen to have a high degree of concordance.

G
#114 ·
I like my auto. I have 2,200 miles on it no issues. I do hate how its a little sluggish but it is nowhere near as bad as the 05-10 GTs. It certainly responds better. Im sure a tune would make it even better, but then I'll be roasting tires and getting tickets.

If the MT82 didn't have problems I would have considered buying a 3:73 car. Also since I rarely do any highway driving and do a lot of city driving the auto is a better fit for me.

#115 ·
Not a lot of miles on my 2012 GT's automatic transmission yet, however it shifts fine and I am happy with it.
Regards,
Phil

#116 ·
Matthewr87 - the loss of power from a dead stop is a new condition for me that started a few months after the dealer replaced the solenoid paks. I still have the original bump/lurch problem too.

I was recently in stop and go traffic and it felt like the transmission was actually slipping before engaging in 1st. Do you have any more leads on what the cause might be?

#117 ·
I have a 2012 auto with only 500 miles. Tranny slips when going from a very slow speed and then accelerating, like when rolling through a stop sign when there is no other cars. Press on pedal, engine revs but no propulsion, then suddenly after a second or two, it kicks in and off I go. It's annoying but I am hoping when I log some more miles, the adaptive shift strategy will smooth out like others have said. If not its off to the dealer for warranty work. It's seems to me they need to adjust the initial algorithm in the tranny software so buyers don't have this issue in the first place, assuming its a software issue. Those saying a tune fixes the problem leads me to beleive it is.

#119 ·
I have a 2012 auto with only 500 miles. Tranny slips when going from a very slow speed and then accelerating, like when rolling through a stop sign when there is no other cars. Press on pedal, engine revs but no propulsion, then suddenly after a second or two, it kicks in and off I go. It's annoying but I am hoping when I log some more miles, the adaptive shift strategy will smooth out like others have said. If not its off to the dealer for warranty work. It's seems to me they need to adjust the initial algorithm in the tranny software so buyers don't have this issue in the first place, assuming its a software issue. Those saying a tune fixes the problem leads me to beleive it is.
You have described the exact problem I have. It will not go away with driving. The dealer has reset the KAM learning mode twice and replaced the shift soleniods with no improvement. I am concerned that I will get stuck with no power in a intersection and get hit.

I have noticed that it seems worse after sitting overnight - first few miles of driving. Have you noticed any particular time when the problem occurs?

#127 ·
I've had my car for a year also, and I had throttle lag for the first few months before I got the FRPP tune installed... it was really annoying...

#128 ·
I used to have the same problem with an 87 oldsmobile I had when I was a kid. The carb was crap. Was great actually.
Put all the power down at once. Smoked me a stang with it too lol. They were surprised. It would burn rubber for half a mile. Ahh.. but to the point I love my auto stang. Definitely has some sluggish moments but what autos don't. At least at this price.. I drive mostly thru a 25mph city. Great for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.