Ford Mustang Forum banner

Are you happy with your AUTOMATIC transmission

• Yes I am happy - No Problems

Votes: 268 80.2%
  • No I'm not happy - Have problems

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • Kind of happy - I have occassional issues.

Votes: 52 15.6%

Are You Happy With Your 2011 + Mustang Automatic Transmission

70K views 187 replies 91 participants last post by  FuelforFire87 
#1 ·
Since we have a Poll for the 2011 manual transmission. Figured I'd add one for the 2011 automatic as well. There are some automatic owners that have complained about a rough downshifting shifting issue and have a thread dedicated to that problem. Again, please vote so we can see how widespread the issue is. Feel free to share your general thoughts about your automatic!

#170 ·
12' GT/CSenjoy my AT..been driving 6pd manual trans' for yrs..the change to an auto has been great...i have a bama 91 tune and it really woke up the auto..both in solid quick upshifts and better down shifts on decel...also i hit the button and take it out of O/D,acutally it just limits the car to 1-5th speeds.It is great for around town driving you seldom need even 5th gear..when i hit the frwy i push the button and cruise in 6th.. so under normal street travel..its great to hit it WOT above 40mph and the car snaps like a rocket in 2nd,under 40mph and you get 1st gear with lots of wheelspin i need some wider rear tires.
when crusin about 60mph on frwy, i hit the button drop it out of O/D and at WOT trans drops into 3rd and its a real rush....:yelpleased:

#171 ·
After 15k, no issues at all. No bumps or thumps as some have mentioned when coming to a stop. Performs consistently across all temps (even -30C).

Look forward to tuning her eventually to take care of the lag.

#172 ·
Several months ago, I put together and installed JSimmons' mod which defeats Ford's idiotic automatic transmission adaptive functioning circuit. He devised a pigtail mod (which doesn't require cutting into the car's wiring) that is cheap and fairly easy to construct. Once your car is turned off, the mod kills the power to the (fuse #47) circuit that controls the car's adaptive functioning memory and after about 10 - 15 minutes wipes the memory clean. As a result, the car never adopts to driving situations which lead to poor performance (such as slow or stop and go type traffic). I haven't experienced any more SLUG-gishness since I installed this mod. It's one of the best mods I've done yet regardless of price.

2011 Kona V6 Auto, Premium, 3.31 Rear End, Pony Package, NAV System Electronics Package, Comfort Package, Security Package, Remote Start, Rear Video Camera, Deck Lid Panel, Quarter Window Louvers, Side Scoops.

Mods: C&L CAI, Bama Tune (93H), BBK Throttle Body, Magnaflow Street Axle Backs, Permanent Removal of Adaptive Shifting Mod, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, JLT Catch Can, Pony Engine Cover, MMD Hood Struts, MMD Black Tail Light Trim, Window Tint, Sony XM GS400 Amp, Four Infinity Ref 8602cfx Speakers, Weathertech Floormats.

#174 ·
Several months ago, I put together and installed JSimmons' mod which defeats Ford's idiotic automatic transmission adaptive functioning circuit. He devised a pigtail mod (which doesn't require cutting into the car's wiring) that is cheap and fairly easy to construct. Once your car is turned off, the mod kills the power to the (fuse #47) circuit that controls the car's adaptive functioning memory and after about 10 - 15 minutes wipes the memory clean. As a result, the car never adopts to driving situations which lead to poor performance (such as slow or stop and go type traffic). I haven't experienced any more SLUG-gishness since I installed this mod. It's one of the best mods I've done yet regardless of price.
Great news. I hope I can meet up with a Stang owner in Ontario who can help me with this. I'd buy lunch and beer!

#175 ·
No problems with the auto yet, and about to hit the 30k mileage mark. The 93 Race Bama tune makes the auto more fun to drive with the higher rpm shift points.

#178 ·
I love my 6r80 and hands down am satisfied with it. the reason i bought the auto was completely because i wasnt trying to buy a new expensive car imo compared tomwhat i normally would mess with a mt to lose against other drivers with faster autos. I at first thought the sport mode sucked but once i figured out how to mess with it just right i think it is great i have no complaints with it and do not at all agree thay the sport mode is better in other cars i have driven being a 335i and g37 its just different especcially with my 91 tune when i was running it there is a significant differance and i believe a lot of it is due to the trans. you have to get the feel for it. leaving it in d always works too. i plan to get a circle d 3200 or so stall converter on my car in the future and make it a dig warrior. the 6r80 is a HARD trans to outshift when tuned and its VERY durable so far and has held a ton of power for tons of people without horror stories plauging the trans its better than the transs in what your getting in the import cars that were named for having a better sport mode in a lot of ways. it doesnt have to be a dual clutch trans to kill at the dragstrip and be reliable my 700r4 trans is also built to be a monster drag autoand its got a lot done to it and i still love my 6r80 so its just my .02 its a great reliable trans

#180 ·
I have close to 37K Miles on my 13GT AT and I have had ZERO Issues. Yes, it does have a Lag at the start but It is short and pulls very hard after that! Totally satisfied with this Mustang Very happy!
Heck I had a BMW 335I that has the Twin Turbo Six and the lag in my Mustang is nothing compared to the Lag in the 335I.
After my Bama Tune the GT Lag is not as much and I get a chirp in second and sometimes third.
My GT is way more reliable than that problem ridden 335I was hands down and over 13K Less money!

#182 ·
Same issue with my 2012 Gt Auto, hated the shift points, Sport mode helped but was a pain to switch over every time I got into the car. About a year ago I went with the Ford Racing tune and K&N air cleaner and made a big difference. Shifts at a higher RPM and you can feel it shifting now, not harsh but can feel it change gears without watching the tach. Mileage seems about the same, maybe a bit better but no less than before, run 93 fuel through it but I did before anyway. Not sure on warranty issue, did it myself but might cause issue on drivetrain warranty not sure. Had lower arms, sway bar links and air bag replaced on warranty and had no problems but then again not drivetrain related. A year and around 6000 miles later still happy with it and no problems. The throttle delay is another issue and may address that later but have gotten use to it.

#183 ·
I think my automatic is pretty good. I have a 2011 v6 with the standard bolt on parts and a 3.73 rear gear. I have 26,000 miles on it but had the transmission fluid flushed and filter changed at 20,000 miles, for peace of mind. With a tune, my tires bark when it shifts into 2nd gear and the tires chirp when going into 3rd. Not bad for an automatic v6 :)

#186 · (Edited)
I like it.

Feel free to share your general thoughts about your automatic!
I really do enjoy the six-speed automatic transmission in my 2016 GT. If I step on it while in traffic it instantly drops down two gears to allow optimum acceleration with no hesitation. While traveling at 70 mph on the Interstate, the high top gear lets me get 26 MPG while the V-8 motor relaxes at just 2000 RPM. I can step on the gas at 70 MPH and the car will take off as if had only been doing 30. Plus, the transmission offers a comfortable "Drive" setting as well as an aggressive "Sport" setting. :)

From my notes:
Transmission: The 6-Speed SelectShift® 6R80E Automatic with grade assist ($1,195) is manufactured at the Livonia, Michigan transmission plant by UAW Local 182. The transmission weighs 215 lbs and has a torque capacity of 650 lb-ft, and has its own oil-to-air cooler. The GT automatic uses a redesigned torque converter (Part No. 7902) that is five pounds lighter than the 2014 equivalent, has a torque multiplication factor of 1.5, and a 2400 – 2700 rpm stall speed. The transmission is electronically controlled with torque converter lockup capability in all six gears. The transmission is “Filled for Life” with 12.1 quarts of low viscosity synthetic Mercon LV fluid. This transmission dip stick is located underneath the car on the transmission itself on the passenger side. The 6R80’s gear ratios, span and shift schedule have been optimized for better off-the-line performance and improved fuel economy. The double-overdrive gear also provides better fuel economy. The transmission has a low 1st gear and two overdrive gears, the highest of which is 0.69. The Drive (D) position provides the best fuel economy and a balanced combination of comfort and handling. Sport (S) increases throttle response selects gears more quickly and at higher engine speeds to provide additional lower gear operation, faster acceleration, and increased engine braking. The steering wheel is mounted with paddle shifters to allow the driver full control of shifts. A new active rev-matching feature makes downshifts more efficient, smoother and quicker.

#188 ·
I really do enjoy the six-speed automatic transmission in my 2016 GT. If I step on it while in traffic it instantly drops down two gears to allow optimum acceleration with no hesitation. While traveling at 70 mph on the Interstate, the high top gear lets me get 26 MPG while the V-8 motor relaxes at just 2000 RPM. I can step on the gas at 70 MPH and the car will take off as if had only been doing 30. Plus, the transmission offers a comfortable "Drive" setting as well as an aggressive "Sport" setting. :)

From my notes:
Transmission: The 6-Speed SelectShift® 6R80E Automatic with grade assist ($1,195) is manufactured at the Livonia, Michigan transmission plant by UAW Local 182. The transmission weighs 215 lbs and has a torque capacity of 650 lb-ft, and has its own oil-to-air cooler. The GT automatic uses a redesigned torque converter (Part No. 7902) that is five pounds lighter than the 2014 equivalent, has a torque multiplication factor of 1.5, and a 2400 – 2700 rpm stall speed. The transmission is electronically controlled with torque converter lockup capability in all six gears. The transmission is “Filled for Life” with 12.1 quarts of low viscosity synthetic Mercon LV fluid. This transmission dip stick is located underneath the car on the transmission itself on the passenger side. The 6R80’s gear ratios, span and shift schedule have been optimized for better off-the-line performance and improved fuel economy. The double-overdrive gear also provides better fuel economy. The transmission has a low 1st gear and two overdrive gears, the highest of which is 0.69. The Drive (D) position provides the best fuel economy and a balanced combination of comfort and handling. Sport (S) increases throttle response selects gears more quickly and at higher engine speeds to provide additional lower gear operation, faster acceleration, and increased engine braking. The steering wheel is mounted with paddle shifters to allow the driver full control of shifts. A new active rev-matching feature makes downshifts more efficient, smoother and quicker.
Didn't realize they changed the 6R80 a bit for the 2015+ models. I like my 6R80 with the select shift but I wish they would have put in paddles from the factory. What does the benefit of the lighter weight torque converter do? Does it help with fuel economy or getting off the line quicker. Is the stall speed increased compared to the original 6R80 in the 11-14 mustangs?

And P.S. for everyone complaining about the sluggishness of the auto trans, disconnect the battery or pull fuse 47 for 15 minutes and your trans will be much more responsive.

#187 ·
We bought a 2014 V6 Deluxe convertible, my wife who is more of a Mustang freak than I am had to have it.

I figured the 2.73s (only gear available) was going to make the car a dog.

Those extra 2 gears really make the car move. It ran circles around our 94 GT with 3.08s and a T5.

Im happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.