Ford Mustang Forum banner

Are you happy with your AUTOMATIC transmission

• Yes I am happy - No Problems

Votes: 268 80.2%
  • No I'm not happy - Have problems

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • Kind of happy - I have occassional issues.

Votes: 52 15.6%

Are You Happy With Your 2011 + Mustang Automatic Transmission

70K views 187 replies 91 participants last post by  FuelforFire87 
#1 ·
Since we have a Poll for the 2011 manual transmission. Figured I'd add one for the 2011 automatic as well. There are some automatic owners that have complained about a rough downshifting shifting issue and have a thread dedicated to that problem. Again, please vote so we can see how widespread the issue is. Feel free to share your general thoughts about your automatic!

#2 ·
So far (2000 miles), yes. Only problem I see is lack of Paddle Shifters of even a Manualmatic Transmission that my 08 Volvo has. Granted, the Volvo was a more expensive car, but offering a "manual mode" would have been nice.

However, though - the automatic transmission is great. Can't complain, and it's very close to the manual times for 1/4 mile, and others.

#3 ·
I like the auto trans, really keeps the revs down on the highway. I do agree that it should have paddles or a manual mode.

I drove a 2011 GT with the auto and the shift points felt just like my V6. they should give the GT a firmer shift calibration from the factory.

#5 ·
I have no regrets about getting the auto, but I do have some minor complaints:

- lethargic stock tune. From the factory, I noticed right off the bat that the throttle response was not satisfactory. The accelerator felt like a sponge, even compared to non-sport cars I have driven. Didn't notice on my test drive(s) because I was so enamored with the sound and was flooring it most of the time.

- I believe I have the harsh downshift, or something related to that. When I slow down and then immediately speed up, either I hear/feel a loud click under the car, or the car doesn't respond immediately and then lurches forward. The Bama tunes I got fix the lurching, but doesn't help the loud click/shift/whatever it is when I slow down and then speed up (or if I come to a complete stop and wait a second then I hear it). I'm going to talk to the dealer about it to make sure there is nothing wrong with the car. There's a thread in the V6 forums about this.

- No paddle shifters or manumatic mode. It's 2011 now... many automatic transmission cars come with some type of manumatic mode (whether DCT or not, some way of shifting through ALL the gears). The Camaro has it. 370Z. G37. Genesis Coupe. GTI. 335i. C30-R. Evo. I wish Ford could have thrown that in there, even at a little bit of a premium. I didn't let it dissuade me from purchasing the 5.0 auto though, simply because everyone I know who has that feature on their auto say they rarely use it.

Overall, these are both minor issues for me and I have no regrets about getting the auto.

#6 ·
It's a great automatic,though like many others I would like paddle shifters or floorshift capability. The slush pump works great on the street and but confused at the dragstrip when the rear-end breaks looses. It upshifts when lower gear hits redline, then downshifts again when sensors detect wheelspin. It works extremely well when bombing backroads, it frees your right hand for two-hand straight-armed steering, I find it better to have both hands on the wheel. It also seems to return better milage than its MT counterparts, and I don't worry about missing shifts and frying clutches when running at Mason/Dixon Dragway, where I turned 13,2 @109 mph. With slicks and a little practice could easily get in nid 12's -- if not better -- on a mostly OEM engine with ony a Bama tune and an Airaid CAI system.

Attachments

#27 ·
You only ran 13.2 @ 109 with a tune and CAI?

#8 ·
Mine only has about 800 miles on it so far, but here are my comments:

A couple of times, when driving at low speeds in traffic, it has done kind of a jumpy shift when you apply throttle.

I would prefer firmer, faster shifts; the factory programming makes mine shift like a Cadillac (too smooth), not a musclecar. I know a tune will help in this regard.

The lack of a +/- manual shift mode is surprising, but at least it still has the 1-2-3 selections to manually operate those gears.

#11 ·
I use the mountain shift to stay in fifth gear going up hills and for more engine braking in rush hour traffic. Would like crisper shifts so eventually getting a tune. Just trying to decide if I wait and get the tune with a KB supercharger...

This post has been deleted
#15 ·
These are posts from another thread, check this link

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...-automatic-gas-pedal-downshifting-issues.html

I have a 2011 GT with simular problems hard downshifting, but I also have a problem with my car off throttle downshifting at 70mph. If I am going 75mph or so and let off the throttle it will downshift, if I am going downhill it will downshift two, some times three gears. This started with about 2000 miles on car.
On 12/16/10 complained to Dealer (Ford of Ocala) about problem. Shop foreman says all he saw during test run was the torque converter unlock, I mentioned that doesn't sound right there would be no reason for that but he said "it works fine". On my service slip it says, "Condition described is operational characteristic of this vehicle"
On 2/4/2011 I went back to dealer and requested update of PCM. When I got it back it operated the same, no change at all. So from what I read on this site I feel they may not have done the flash at all.
I called Ford customer service (Samantha) and she told me to go to another dealer. I asked if there was someone else that could help me and she said no!There was no one else that I coould speak to, no offer of a field engineer. Today I am calling back and requesting a field engineer be assigned to my case and see what happens. I will also be going back to my dealer to start generating a paper trail in case I have to go the Lemon Law route. I will keep this forum updated on this issue. I will also be writing letters to Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords, Motor trend, and Automobile Magazine, all of which I have subscriptions to. I am a former IBM Service Manager and I know how to shake the "Corporate Tree"
You had better take a closer look at that big tree you are trying to shake,take the car to another dealer I live in Florida and I DO NOT take my car to the dealer that I bought it from Langford Ford in Labelle is great place.

#16 ·
Unfortunately, my ride is sitting in the garage due to inclement weather. It has 220 miles on it and it's KILLING me that I can't drive it right now. I've driven my manual V6 for 11 years now, so going with the Automatic will be quite different. I'll let you know in about 3 months! :weeps

#17 ·
Sounds like a pretty snarky service tech you got there, Sumurai. I generally find people with attitudes like that are in over their heads and try to camouflauge their lack of knowledge with attitude. I'd be looking for another dealer or expressing your displeasure to the service manager, sales manager, dealership owner, or whoever it takes. I'd advise your contact at Ford that you were told you were wasting the tech's time. They'll love hearing that. Good luck.

#20 ·
My guess is those that are having problems are pushing the car too hard. The whole point of having a manual transmission is so you can take the car to its limits. Automatics are for Honda Accord sedans and moderate driving. Continue to beat on that automatic, and in 5 years expect to replace the transmission.

Learn how to drive and forget the automatic on sports cars..........

#21 ·
While I disagree with pretty much everything you've said, I respect your opinion. However, lets not turn this into an auto vs manual thread. There are enough of those threads. This thread is for REPORTING ISSUES WITH THE AUTOMATIC.

Thanks

#23 ·
Why not just drive the cars and not bad mouth anything. Life is too short.

This post has been deleted
#26 ·
2011 5.0 automatic

Gentlemen, Received a phone call from Ford Cust. Service Rep. last night regarding my problem with automatic transmission shifting problems. As of 3/9/11 a special service message # 21776 was released. She told me to go to Ford and tell them about this ssm and they would change the necessary parts for me. I'll keep you posted and let you know what happens. I hope someone can post this SSM so I can see exactly whats parts they are referring to
Sorry I got a little lost at this point... so Sumurai, the issue with your transmission was a combination of both computer stuff and mechanical stuff?

How are things progressing at this point?

I wonder if what they are doing to your car is a reflection of why the automatic prices jumped $200... something extra being done to the 2012 cars being built now?

G
#35 ·
Hey guys,

Remember I am here to help. Please stay in communication with your dealer regarding your concerns and if you have not done so already, message me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info.

Deysha

#38 ·
Never learned how to drive a proper stick so its been auto for me. My last car had the paddle for sport mode and I did enjoy that. Would love to see them on the next mustang

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.