Ford Mustang Forum banner

Transmision Noise 1st and 2nd gear

20K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  stevegt2012 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Recently back from overseas and out of the military. Decided to buy myself the might 5.0 and so far I LOVE IT. But, im new to the forum and have a few quick questions. So far it has about 250 miles on it and a few things have concerned me so far. After the first day of driving it [went easy on her] when i had gotten off the freeway i started noticing a noise while in first and second gear. It would go away right when shifting into third and as soon as i depressed the clutch. It first sounded like it was coming from the under the hood on the front passenger side, but after letting somone else drive I narrowed it down to the transmission. So after trying to replicate the issue I realized that it is much more prevalent after the car has been running for an hour or so. It sounds like a whirring almost and only occurs in first and second. Doesnt seem to affect power or driveability and no grinding noises. This is my first muscle car and I realize that some extra noises are somewhat normal compared to other cars. So I guess the question is, does anyone else have this issue? Im hoping its just a break in period and after a few thousand miles it will go away. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Also, anyone have the infamous first oil change tick? where does it sound like its coming from? engine or tranny?

THANKS!

Build date of Nov 2010

See less See more
#3 ·
no, its not normal should be nice and quiet... mine started doing this at 3000 miles well almost, mine seems to follow wheel speed if I am not accelerating in first and second gear whether or not the clutch is depressed... and it also doesnt seem to affect performance. I am not sure what is going on mechanically. I would take it in and get the problem documented, they wont fix anything since "ford engineering is working on the problem and no fix is recomended at this time" and they say its not a safety issue.

#4 ·
Just hit 350 miles and Im pissed. My tranny is making an unacceptable ammount of noise. When I downshift from 3 to 2 it sound like the trannys about to give up. So much whining/whirring. 1st and 2nd gear is horrible sounding. WTF Ford.

Back to the dealer soon.......350 miles... are you serious?

#5 ·
I wouldnt be too worried. A trany can make noise from little things like an improperly adjusted linkage . Also, the trans could have a bad bearing or a bad syncro. Either way, its not a big problem as you are the first one Ive seen mention it. Just dont let a ford service manager tell you its normal, cause its not.
Take it in NOW!

GL

#7 ·
Its difficult to tell how bad it really is in your video. Go to the ford dealer you bought the car at and (demand to) take a test drive in a new one on the lot. Compare the sound with the new one on the lot. Take the service manager with you on both rides!

GL

#8 ·
I had a similar issue with my 5.0 back in September. Started when I had about 500 miles on the car. I noticed mine was more apparent to me when I had the top down and was next to solid structures that reflected the sound back at me when I was going slow (underground parking garage, toll booths, even curbs sometimes)

Can't really give you any advice about what to do though as after a few thousand miles the noise went away on mine. Could never figure out how to isolate the noise to show the dealer.

#10 ·
Mine does just the exact same thing. As much as I've been reading about different whines and ticks, this is the description that matches my car's noise the best. Just that it started doing it somewhat later at about 800 miles. I have 1500 mi on it now. The noise usually starts after about 15 min driving, and is especially loud when downshifting hard from 3rd to 2nd going into a sharp curve. And the noise increases when you push the stick a little to the left when it's in 2nd. So it really looks like it comes from the transmission. Since I'm in Switzerland, and Ford doesn't sell Mustangs here, they are not of much help. And the fact that the factory warranty is not valid here in Europe doesn't make everything easier. Any help or hint would be greatly appreciated.

#14 ·
Hey guys,

Recently back from overseas and out of the military. Decided to buy myself the might 5.0 and so far I LOVE IT. But, im new to the forum and have a few quick questions. So far it has about 250 miles on it and a few things have concerned me so far. After the first day of driving it [went easy on her] when i had gotten off the freeway i started noticing a noise while in first and second gear. It would go away right when shifting into third and as soon as i depressed the clutch. It first sounded like it was coming from the under the hood on the front passenger side, but after letting somone else drive I narrowed it down to the transmission. So after trying to replicate the issue I realized that it is much more prevalent after the car has been running for an hour or so. It sounds like a whirring almost and only occurs in first and second. Doesnt seem to affect power or driveability and no grinding noises. This is my first muscle car and I realize that some extra noises are somewhat normal compared to other cars. So I guess the question is, does anyone else have this issue? Im hoping its just a break in period and after a few thousand miles it will go away. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Also, anyone have the infamous first oil change tick? where does it sound like its coming from? engine or tranny?

THANKS!

saluting-us-flag.gif

Build date of Nov 2010
Hate to bring a thread back from the dead..but

Im having these exact issues with my MT-82... sharkattak.gif

Almost 25,000 miles, did anyone else have these issues and take the car to the dealer? I only noticed it the last 2 times I drove the car, home from work and to work which is about 35 miles each way. .. Doesn't start til the car is warmed up.. almost like a scraping sound in 1st and 2nd then goes away in 3rd like these other guys and stays there throughout the RPM band.

Could the XL-18 fix this? I'll probably take it into the dealer soon if it keeps up but just thought I'd ask the forum first.

Thanks

#19 ·
I have a newer 5.0 manual with 5500 km and I am getting a clicking noise from 1st -> 2nd gear.. It's hard to describe, but It sounds like its coming from the outside of the car and echos off walls. It sounds like a snapping / clicking noise like two parts are snapping together or dropping off.. Its odd because the shifting and driving seems fine, but the noise is quite loud and concerning. It doesn't happen all the time, really random.

Also there is a winding you can sometimes feel in the shifter and (quietly) hear when shifting from 1st - 2nd.

And the final problem is when in 6th gear on highway at under 2000 RPM you can hear a feint whistle / wine ONLY when pressing the gas.. But goes away when I am past 2000 RPM. Could this just be a break in period for the transmission? I just wanted to share my experience and document here. But I will bring it in this Saturday and see what they say and keep you guys updated as well.

#20 ·
You've taken a step in the right direction by bringing it in for a diagnosis, 80KM2E. Let me know how it went with the dealer on Saturday, and please send me a private message with your full name, VIN, best daytime contact number, and dealership information so I can do all I can to help moving forward.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Brittany

#21 ·
Folks, all transmissions whine. Gears mesh, noise is made, and that noise is louder in the lower gears.

For the OP's video, there is nothing that sounds different from my car. Again, transmissions whine, all of them. The reason why you don't hear it in other cars is more sound-deadening material, FWD vs RWD placement of the transmission in the car, and auto transmissions instead of manuals.

Seriously, there are too may people posting here that freak out over normal stuff. Relax, cars tick, whine, make noise, etc., etc. Stop freaking out over every little thing.

#30 ·
Folks, all transmissions whine. Gears mesh, noise is made, and that noise is louder in the lower gears.

For the OP's video, there is nothing that sounds different from my car. Again, transmissions whine, all of them. The reason why you don't hear it in other cars is more sound-deadening material, FWD vs RWD placement of the transmission in the car, and auto transmissions instead of manuals.

Seriously, there are too may people posting here that freak out over normal stuff. Relax, cars tick, whine, make noise, etc., etc. Stop freaking out over every little thing.

Same experience here. My car did it from 5 miles when I took delivery. Now with nearly 10k on the clock the noise has much quieter.

Agreed with your comment on relaxing about the normal noises. I think the problem is a lot of owners here have very limited or no experience with these kind of cars so they have no idea as to what to expect as normal noises and when those noises are abnormal.

So it's good we have this forum to ask. Personally, I think for the most part you will get more solid advice here than from a lot of dealers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#23 ·
My transmission is only noisy in 2nd. I mean, there's a really faint whine in all gears that I've heard in all manual transmissions when revved high (plus the various clunks and things that are apparently par for the course), but in second there's a different sound. At low RPM it sounds like a weird feedback/scratching sound, and at 4k+ it sounds more like a whistle (on top of the standard gear whine). Not really sure when it started, as I generally drive with the windows down or the music up. Anyone experienced anything similar?

#25 ·
A slight gear whine is normal, I chuckle, I call it my hidden Supercharger, in my car, it's not obtrusive. My friend who owns Audi's and BMW's calls it normal German transmission noise. And my BOSS is a noisy car compared to most, you can hear that Torsen dif work through corners, the car is a cacophony of mechanical noises, but it is one step away from being a factory race car. As my friend Lou says, "you paid for that"! Right on Lou, you are right! And I wouldn't have it any other way!

#26 ·
Said no one can look at it and to come during the week. I'm also stuck here for 3-4 hours for an oil change... I just hope they use the proper 5W-50. I'll definitely be doing my own oil change next time. I'll try to test drive one of their mustangs to see if it's normal

#27 ·
Sounds like a plan, 80KM2E. Please keep me posted on the situation, and if you do decide to schedule an appointment for diagnosis, please don't hesitate to send the requested information my way. I'll do all I can to help!

Have a great day!

Brittany

#28 ·
I'll have to leave this till October when I'll be taking a day or two off. I will schedule an appointment with the mechanic and bring them out for a drive to see if everything is as it should be. Thanks Brit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.