Ran the 5.0 for the first time in the quarter mile - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Banned

BLK50, great that you can get some runtime in during the winter when Texas heat doesn't kill power. Isn't it great that a (mostly) stock Mustang can run that big a MPH and hook pretty well on all-season tires? Absolutely the stuff our dreams were made of only 10 years ago. As a benchmark, I have a 2003 Mach 1 with no intake or exhaust mods but a lot of experimentation in the launch/shift points and minor effort put into the rear suspension. Real proud of my 12.50s/60s at 108, but you would drive away from it. It's swimming upstream to race you guys with it!

Your sub-1.90 60-ft impresses me most. Do those UMI arms remind you of a Southside bar updated to this century? If tires are next, a guy like you who knows what to do will really be embarrassing a lot of cars soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK50 View Post
They do help, but definitely do not stop tire hop. The biggest benefit I've noticed is how straight the car launches. With the stock, stamped steel LCA's, my car always fish tailed.

I was talking to some guys there after my runs and they said the whole car was raising on launch and looked really good. I don't have any video unfortunately.

They also need to be welded if you go to the track.
Howcome they have to be welded?

Banned

They change something called the "instant center" in pitch and I suspect some like to weld them just to feel secure. They work somewhat like the Fox-era Southside bars.

Instant center is not the same as the mounting points, and the dream of changing it for the launch has been around a long time....ladder bars were one craze to deal with it.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber2012 View Post
Do those UMI arms remind you of a Southside bar updated to this century?
They do work like liftbars driving the tires into the pavement. Very easy to install.

'73 Mach 1 - Boss 351 clone in progress
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I had my local muffler shop weld them for $30. Pretty good looking weld.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	543.8 KB
ID:	123116  

2012 Boss Laguna Seca #290 and 2015 PP Ecoboost (Daily Driver )
Previous: 2011 GT, 2000 Camaro SS, 93 Lightning
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK50 View Post
I had my local muffler shop weld them for $30. Pretty good looking weld.
Nice.

I left those pig nuts off when I installed my brackets. Funny how Ford put them in a different place with each body change. Didn't pick up any vibration. Lost 5lbs unsprung weight.

'73 Mach 1 - Boss 351 clone in progress
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68DARKHORSE View Post
Nice.

I left those pig nuts off when I installed my brackets. Funny how Ford put them in a different place with each body change. Didn't pick up any vibration. Lost 5lbs unsprung weight.
Really? I wondered about taking those off or not. I have quite a bit of gear whine now with the urethane bushings and the 4.10's and thought taking those off would make it worse. I'll take them off the weekend and see.

2012 Boss Laguna Seca #290 and 2015 PP Ecoboost (Daily Driver )
Previous: 2011 GT, 2000 Camaro SS, 93 Lightning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page