First oil change 4500 miles - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Send a message via AIM to BK2BLKGT Send a message via Yahoo to BK2BLKGT
First oil change 4500 miles

So i would like to go to Ford today to get an oil change on my 5.0 and i would like to know if spending the extra money and full synthetic is worth it or not?

Ive heard the motor craft filter is a good one to stay with.

opinions?

thanks.

Barton w/Bracket-Koni Sports w/Steeda Sport springs - Steeda HD mounts - BMR adj PH bar-Whiteline adj LCA's w/brackets - Whiteline front/rear adj sway bars - DSS Carbon driveshaft - Whipple 2.9L w/ JLT Super Big air - JBA Ceramic long tubes w/ O/R x pipe-Magnaflow Competition Catback - RTR's with Conti Extreme Contact DW's 275/40 19 front & Nitto 305 rear - Lund Tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

I think it really depends on whether or not you are planning on keeping the car or selling/trading it in a few years. I plan on keeping my car(s) for a good long while so I feel like synthetic is better. I like mobil 1 myself. Plus, I extend the OCI (not on the mustang) so it's really not much more money.

I will say that on the cars I have run synthetic in, they are exceptionally clean inside. I don't baby them either.

Quote:
That's what I used. They're good filters. Other ones are Puralator, Wix, Napa Gold (same as Wix but cheaper) I wouldn't use Fram or dept store brands.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
Mobil 1 and a Motorcraft filter is the only thing i do and would run in a Ford car.

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks Whirl,

I have never run full synthetic in any of my cars, Ford tells me they use a half half blend when doing reg oil changes. I def like a cleaner engine and i have no idea how long i will have my 5.0 but i would say at least a couple more years and maybe more.

Ill stick to motor craft until i decide to try your suggestions

Barton w/Bracket-Koni Sports w/Steeda Sport springs - Steeda HD mounts - BMR adj PH bar-Whiteline adj LCA's w/brackets - Whiteline front/rear adj sway bars - DSS Carbon driveshaft - Whipple 2.9L w/ JLT Super Big air - JBA Ceramic long tubes w/ O/R x pipe-Magnaflow Competition Catback - RTR's with Conti Extreme Contact DW's 275/40 19 front & Nitto 305 rear - Lund Tuned
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
Mobil 1 and a Motorcraft filter is the only thing i do and would run in a Ford car.
Have you noticed any difference between that and motor craft oil?

What about the K&N filter or Lucas oil? anyone here try these?

thanks.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011
PONY Member

Synthetic oil flows better if your car is parked outside in bitter-cold weather, stands up better in extreme-heat situations, and allows longer oil change intervals. Most any name-brand synthetic oil will work great.

"Regular" or Syn-blend 5w20 will also work fine. The Motorcraft 5w20 semi-syn is a excellent oil for the price. (most blends are 20-25% synthetic, not 50% FWIW).

You can easily run a full-syn up to the OLM/1 year with no problem, I would change a semi-syn/regular oil at around 5-6000 miles. (Depending on driving conditions)

2011 Kona Blue/Charcoal GT, 400A Premium,6sp MT, HID's, Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.73's, Koni SRT/SteedaSports+Panhard, GT500 Mufflers
'06 Mazda Tribute,'05 Honda ST1300
'03 Yamaha FZ1000 '98 '00 '02 '04 Ford Expedition
'93 Buick Regal '90 Ford Explorer '87 F-250HD Diesel
'85 Yamaha FJ1100 '83 Honda NightHawk 650
'80 Olds Cutlass '70 Ford LTD
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2BLKGT View Post
So i would like to go to Ford today to get an oil change on my 5.0 and i would like to know if spending the extra money and full synthetic is worth it or not?

opinions?

thanks.
You'll find pics. of the Wix, FL-500S (Motorcraft), and the filter your car came with (what I call "mystery" filter) in my "First Oil Change..." thread. IMHO the Motorcraft FL-500S filter isn't exactly great. I'll be switching to the FRPP racing version of the FL-820 filter in the future.

K&N and M1 are essentially the same filter (made by Champion). There are MANY Internet posts comparing these - in short most say save your money and get an M1.

I was not able to find any of these in-stock (special orders only), so went with Wix 57502.

If you change your oil every 5000-7500 miles, it's likely a waste of money to go full synth. The real benefit of 100% synth is extended life (up to 15000 miles claimed).

Another AFM poster clued me in to Amsoil's "preferred customer" program. For a $10 fee you get a 6 months "trial" that allows you to order Amsoil (oil, filters, whatever they make) at 25% off retail (dealer pricing). I'll probably do that and stock up. Went with Amsoil 5W20 XL partial synth. (pretty close to the stock Motorcraft "swill").

I've used M1 a lot, but won't any more since they no longer publish the details of the oil formulations. Bottom line, with 8 qts. !!! I'm sure even non-synth, plain ol' "dyno-oil" would be fine.

2011 GT Kona Blue with 401A Black+Cashmire - HID, Security, Brembo, 3.55, Comfort, Rear Camera, and Glass Roof.
Mods: Steeda Sport Springs and HD mount (2011+ style), Koni "Yellows", UMI roto-joint adj. PHB - oh, and one big scratch in a BBP wheel!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011
Apprentice

Just wondering why you're going so early to get your oil changed. It should be good for about 10,000 miles. What does your oil life indicator say?

Jordan
2011 Mustang V6 M6 Pony Package with:
Kona Blue paint and tape stripe delete
Saddle Interior - Sync, Shaker 500, HID Headlights, Active Security System, Backup Camera, 3.31 gears
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011
Rookie

To those of you changing your own oil where are you dumping your oil and old filters? Are you finding it difficult at some places? Are they charging you a fee to dump it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page