Cup holder lid drives me crazy!!! Manual transmission - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Cup holder lid drives me crazy!!! Manual transmission

The way I rest my arm part of my forearm and elbow rest on the hinge side ofthe lid and it constantly wants to open and it drives me CRAZY!!. If I try to shift my arm to the non hinge side so it won't open it is an smears position.

This bug anyone else and has anyone come up with a fix? I wish the lid was the that you push down to latch and unlock. I may look into trying to find and aftermarket latching system for it..

-Griff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011
GT Member

I've read where a few guys are having this problem. I don't have this problem at all.

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011
PONY Member

Garage
you know what's weird, I had this exact problem when I first bought my car and I don't know if I subconsciously changed the position of my arm now but it doesn't happen to me anymore.

2011 V6 Mustang
6 Speed Manual - 3.31 Gears
Kona Blue, Pony Package

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
I've read where a few guys are having this problem. I don't have this problem at all.

My isssue is my elbow unlatches the storage area behind the cupholders unless I use my key and lock it.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 Race Red - MT - Premium - GT/CS Package - Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.31 Gears, GT500 Axle-backs.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couger View Post
My isssue is my elbow unlatches the storage area behind the cupholders unless I use my key and lock it.
yaaaaaa that's happen a few times to me too, that pisses me off more.

2011 V6 Mustang
6 Speed Manual - 3.31 Gears
Kona Blue, Pony Package
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Where do you lock that at??
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011
Apprentice

That's funny as when I first got my 2011 I noticed this as well and said I wish the Hinge was on the other side so the Lid Holder wouldn' open...I have changed my arm position now...

2006 Fire Red GT: MBRP axlebacks, blacked out GT emblems, rear fake gas cap and horse in front grille, Silver painted calipers, more mods on the way...

2000 GT Convertible, Sunburst Gold, 5 spd Manual Ford Motorsport shorty headers, UPR Catted X Pipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Tokico Lowering Springs, 18 inch Boss Rims, Cold Air Intake, Trickflow Upper Plenum and Throttle Body, Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Accel COP's, Styling Bar

Past Stangs: 89 5.0 Notchback, 89 5.0 Hatchback, 95 GT, and 2011 V6
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifftech View Post
Where do you lock that at??
Open the cup holder and there is a keyhole at the storage area.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 Race Red - MT - Premium - GT/CS Package - Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.31 Gears, GT500 Axle-backs.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Open the cup holder and there is a keyhole at the storage area.
Wow, I did not know this. I have never seen a key hole in my cup holder area; but then again, I haven't had my cup holder open much.

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
PONY Member

You know, I read many complaints about this before I got my car and I was a bit worried.

Now, I don't see how it would open unless you have a super pointy elbow or a really short arm. No offense. It has never opened on me.

2011 V6 PP -> 2012 5.0
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyM View Post
You know, I read many complaints about this before I got my car and I was a bit worried.

Now, I don't see how it would open unless you have a super pointy elbow or a really short arm. No offense. It has never opened on me.
Well 6'1" and 260 lbs so no pointy elbows or short arms here
PONY Member

Never had either happen to me..

-FISHTAIL
92GT Custom Built 331 Stroker. -- Waiting on some finishing touches.
2011 5.0 GT Coupe
03 Cobra Vert: 12.67 @ 121.66mph (SOLD)
03 Cobra Coupe....Heavily Modded Money Pit (SOLD)
Proud Member of the Mid-Atlantic Cobra Association
PONY Member

I still have never had this happen on our 2010.

When I first bought my 2011 it did it all the time, now less than once a week.

I think the shifter placement is the issue. As I said I still haven't done it in the 2010 but I think it's because you are usually rolling in 5th gear which is up and to the right instead of down to the right (6th gear.)
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifftech View Post

This bug anyone else and has anyone come up with a fix? I wish the lid was the that you push down to latch and unlock. I may look into trying to find and aftermarket latching system for it..

-Griff
This had been bugging me for a while too. At first I thought about a latch idea as well until I got a different idea. I noticed that the lid moves to the right a lot before the right side dips down into the holder. So I got the idea that if I stuck something in the crack between the lid and the passenger side of the holder, that it wouldn't be able to open. So I found a small L-bracket (about 1-inch x 1-inch) and wrapped it with electrical tape so that it wouldn't scratch anything and so that it would be the right thickness and put it in the crack. I works perfectly! The lid doesn't move a bit and the top feels solid. Then if I want to use the cup holder, I just pull out the L-bracket and then open the lid. I just drop the L-bracket down in the holder for safe keeping.

Silver 2011 GT 6spd - Pkg 401A
Ordered 10/25/10 - Delivered 11/24/10
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

This was the first thing I noticed when I drove my car home. Kinda annoying but I definitely got over it. Problem is mainly when I have 24 oz. Monster in it, try shifting with anything in the cup holder! Bad placement IMO!

2011 SG Mustang Premium V6, MCA Edition, 3:31 Gears, 6 MT, Reverse Camera.
Steeda CAI, BAMA Tuned SCT, GT Fascia, Boss/CS Valance, Boss Front Splitter, Saleen Grille, Roush Splitters, GT500 Rear Valance, Roush AB, Black GT500 Wheels (18x10 Rear/18x9 Front), GT Front Brakes, Eibach Sportlines, Eibach Adj LCAs, J&M Adj. Panhard Bar, Steeda STB, Grabber Pony SG Shift Knob, Custom Perforated/Striped leather shift boot and E-Brake Handle boot, SR Performance Shifter, Barton Shifter Bracket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page