Upper strut mount question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Upper strut mount question

Can I use an aftermarket upper strut mount mount like the Steeda HD upper mount or the GT500 upper strut mount with the stock 2011 GT struts? If so do I still need to get 2010 mounts to get the isolator? Does the 2010 GT500 upper strut mount have the isolator?

Reason I ask is I am thinking of just dropping in some Steeda Sport springs for now and was going to buy Koni STRts later when I need them. But I know when I lower the car some I affect the Camber and I thought I could put in the Steeda HD mounts or GT500 mounts so I can have a bit of camber adjustment.

I found a guy in town who only does work on Fords and has 20 years experience and has worked on countless Mustangs and he said if I am not tracking the car or lowering it drastically just putting in springs will work just fine but agreedthe camber will change some and I would like to be able to dial it back some and trying to see what is least expensive route to do that. Mainly because I am spending a chunk of my budget on having him swap out my 3.31 gears for 3.73s . How is 600 bucks for gears and install sound? Good price? Sorry for all the questions

Thanks, Griff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011
Grimace427

Sam Strano has a sale on Koni shocks right now so you might as well get them at the same time and save yourself the hassle. I have about the same combo(see sig) that I did at seperate times and I wish I had done them all at once.
Secondly, the GT500 upper strut mounts, while they work great, do not offer any adjustment. Either get some caster/camber mounts(Strano has these as well), or camber bolts. Just an FYI, I literally just got my alignment done 5 minutes ago and the camber and caster were both within spec. Front toe was out 0.5 degrees though.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Sam Strano has a sale on Koni shocks right now so you might as well get them at the same time and save yourself the hassle. I have about the same combo(see sig) that I did at seperate times and I wish I had done them all at once.
Secondly, the GT500 upper strut mounts, while they work great, do not offer any adjustment. Either get some caster/camber mounts(Strano has these as well), or camber bolts. Just an FYI, I literally just got my alignment done 5 minutes ago and the camber and caster were both within spec. Front toe was out 0.5 degrees though.
Ok so I either just get

1. springs and go with the camber change and no adjust

2. GT500 mounts/ springs and Konis but no camber adjust

Or

3. Steeda HD, 2010 mount for isolator, springs and Konis but I get camber adjust

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

bump...... looking for input pls
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Griff- I got the Steeda Sport springs, The Koni sports (adjustables), the GT500 strut mounts and a set of camber bolts from Eibach. I talked to Modshack quite a bit about this and researched myself. With a 1 inch drop, you do not need adjustable camber plates. You more than likely don't even need the camber bolts, but at 35$, it's better to have them if you do need them.
Like others have said, wait and do Springs and Shocks/Struts. Strano has the Koni STR.T's on sale, so get them now and only pay once for the install. You would be doing essentially the exact same procedure on the front twice if you just do springs now and struts later. I've got an SCCA event coming up and I have everything but the front struts, so I'm waiting.
If you only do lowering springs now, I'm almost positive that you would still need the extra spacer that the 2010 0r GT500 strut mounts offer. The springs are the reason you need them in the first place.
Bottom line, options one and 2 are kind of false choices. If you really want the camber adjustment, get the Eibach camber bolts too. Mine showed up yesterday from CJ Pony parts.

MUSTANG EIBACH CAMBER ADJUSTMENT KIT 2005-2011

Oh...and good morning!

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011
PONY Member

Like F91 said with a 1" drop you won't need camber adjustment as it will stay in the factory range with the M-18183-C GT 500 strut mounts. If you are planning on serious auto-x or racing then adjustable upper strut mount would be desirable. I have these and Koni Yellow adjustables on my 5.0 with M-5300-P 1" springs and there is a significant reduction in brake dive as well as a less wallowy feel when making quick steering and directional changes. I have the Brembos which already had uprated spring and strut tuning but the Koni's are 2 steps up IMHO. The look with the 1" drop is also awesome. Good luck with it and remember to only final torque suspension bolts with the car supported by its' suspension. Place jack stands under the rear axle tubes and under the front control arms. $600 is a fair price for a gear swap just make sure they have the correct Ford install kit for '11 rear end as the pinion bearing has changed size from previous years. Bring your VIN to a dealer or one of our vendors so they get you the right parts.

Never be afraid to ask questions, the guys on this site are pretty knowlegable and are very friendly.
Steve

6 Piston GT500 Brembos, 3.55, 6 speed manual, Sparco Ergo seat, Ford Racing Sparco race steering wheel, Koni Yellows, Boss 302S WC splitter, GT500 rear axle cover, Differential cooler, Cobra Jet Intake, Boss Graphics, Setrab 934 Air to Oil Setrab cooler, M-2004-MB brake cooling kit, Ford rotors, Carbotech XP24/XP20 pads, M-5300-P springs, FRRP Laguna Seca 19x9, 19x10 wheels, GT500 axlebacks, ARH 1 7/8" Headers/3" X-Pipe, Ford Racing SCJ throttle body, Ford Racing CJ CAI, AED tune.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011
PONY Member

I did Ford P springs with the Koni STR'Ts and GT500 mounts. So nice and easy putting in the fronts all in one piece and not having to go back. The ride is great and the alignment was off only a hair. Do it right......do it once.

2011 Race Red 5.0 -6MT 3:73's--Roush RS3 clone. Aluminatored!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Awesome info guys thanks!!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well got the wires ok, going to get tts Steeda Sports, Koni STRts, GT500 mount and ome camber bolts just in case. Then he can do it all at once and put in my adjustable PHB at the same time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page