100w Head Light bulbs - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck268 View Post
My job keeps me on the road for VERY long hours in and around Detroit, MI and I can tell you that you, sir, are 100% wrong. HID drop in retro fits are an absolute epidemic here. Even sitting up high in the ambulance these drivers completely blind me, whether they are on coming traffic glaring out the road or coming from the rear shooting laser beams in my mirrors. Lets not even talk about the drive to/from work in my SN95!

I just wanted to throw some perspective in there from somebody who sees DOZENS of these drivers each day. Unless you want to BLIND other drivers, please do not run HIDs unless your housings are desinged from them. The hype is not false, they really are that bad.
Same problem up here in Winnipeg. We are inundated with cars running cheap illegal HID conversions. They can be spotted from a mile away.
The cops are all over the bikers for running aftermarket pipes and turn a blind eye towards the ricers with their illegal HID lighting

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryC;
On the back of the housing there is an adjustment "screw" between the headlight bulb and the indicator light. Mine is blue, The manual says it's a 7mm allen, or you can use a phillips screwdriver.

Look straight down at the back of the headlight assembly and you cant miss it. Clockwise is "up".

The allen key I have that fits is 6mm, unless my holder is marked wrong.

The Silverstars I just put in combined with adjusting the throw have helped a lot. Probably 40% better than stock and half as good as the HID kit. Until I adjusted them up they were much of an improvement over stock, just whiter and brighter. Adjusting them got a better throw and the SS's are bright enough to carry that far whereas the stock bulbs were not.

I agree, re-aiming helps tremendously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenpb View Post
Worth a try, but am surprised nobody has mentioned that will put your lights up into on coming traffic. It'll be a fine line of what is acceptable or not.

Actually, the headlights can be raised a fair amount before this becomes a concern. Fortunately, the beam cut-off point is pretty distinct on the S197's, which allows us to raise the aim, to a point, without bothering other drivers. I suggest re-aiming with a full(ish) tank of gas; and be aware that if there is more weight in the trunk, or rear seat, than typical, you may need to turn the aim down (counter-clockwise), a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Obviously, at least for me, the "eye comfort" of other drivers is a primary consideration; it will be noticeable, to you, if the upper limit of the beam pattern is too high. Just be aware of where the light is reflected; can you clearly see the rear of the drivers head in front of you, or do you see any light on the drivers face, when on a two lane road? If yes, - then you've gone too high...

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenpb View Post
Worth a try, but am surprised nobody has mentioned that will put your lights up into on coming traffic. It'll be a fine line of what is acceptable or not.
True, you need to be aware of where the lights are aimed. If you get them too high not only will you get them up into drivers eyes, you actually lose visibility.

2011 GT, VMP Roush TVS, 10.80 @ 127mph
DynoSpeedRacing, Memphis TN

Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

I have the PIAA Xtreme White halogens. They claim to give 110 watts of light from a 55 watt bulb. I have never seen a 110 watt bulb in action before so I couldn't tell you how accurate that claim is, but I do know that they made a big difference in the light output over stock. I also re-aimed them up a hair. I noticed that they were a little low for my liking.

2011 Kona 3.7L 6MT Pony Package / K&N drop in / WeatherTech Digital Fit floor liners / GrabberPony Kona blue shift knob w/ TWM Shifter Extender.

Man, I love the smell of burnt Jet A-1 in the morning.
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

Sorry guys....Upon further investigation of my packaging I noticed that the correct numbers for the H13 PIAA's are 65/55W = 85/75W, not 55W = 110W. These lights are DOT compliant and I have not noticed any extra heat from, or around the wiring harness.

I have always swapped to a better light in all of my vehicles when I get them. I usually go with the Sylvania Silverstars or the Silverstar Ultra's but wanted to try something different this time. I think that the difference between the stock vs. PIAA's is much more noticable than the difference between the stock vs. Sylvania's. That's just my opinion though.

2011 Kona 3.7L 6MT Pony Package / K&N drop in / WeatherTech Digital Fit floor liners / GrabberPony Kona blue shift knob w/ TWM Shifter Extender.

Man, I love the smell of burnt Jet A-1 in the morning.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Re-Aimed the lights last night, took her out this morning for a ride to work when it was still dark. WOW what a difference. It's huge!!! I have no desire to get HID's now.

Thanks for the help. I'm blown away by how much better the lights work now. It's night and day (HA!)

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page