Ford Mustang Forum banner

2012 Convertible Option Question

3K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  honeymonkey 
#1 ·
I am building and pricing a 2012 Vert 5.0 for my bro, and I noticed that it doesn't give you the option to step up the rear end gear. The only option is for the 3.31. Did they take that option away, or is it not available on the verts and why? I wanted to order it with a 3.55.

Thanks

#2 ·
According to the 2012 ordering guide, the higher gear ratios (above 3.31) are only available in the manual transmission coupes - not the verts.

#19 ·
Yup, my vert has the 3.55's standard --- I thought it was because of the CS package though.

#7 ·
Well that sucks. If anything, the Vert would need a taller gear before the coupe. They are heavier. Really, what is the difference? The diffs are assembled long before that make it to a car anyway.
Shorter gear ratios are seen as a performance option, and convertibles are not performance cars. No point in adding weight, decreasing chassis rigidity, and then adding performance mods to try and make back some of the lost performance from the regular coupe.

#8 ·
They started making the chasis just as stiff as the hard tops around 2007 and have slowly improved them.

I think it has more to do with driving experience. The convertible is seen as a cruiser. You wouldnt want svt suspension beating the heck out of you nor would you necessarily want to have to blow through the gear shifts with the short gears in a car designed to put the top down and cruise for pleasure.

Unfortunately that "one size fits all" thinking is bound to irritate people who actually DO want their vert to be faster and handle better.

I enjoy cruising with my softer suspension and taller gears but i also can totally appreciate the arguments for shorter gears and harder suspension as well.

If its a must have..gears are one of the easiest things to mod.

#9 ·
Buy the Shelby. They produce a Vert. It works for them, and its the same stiffend up body as the GT, course the suspension is slightly different. But really if it's that important just go aftermarket with the rear gears and pick whatever ratio wets your pants Plum

#10 ·
I can see the point, but correct me if I am wrong, but you can get a Brembo package on a Vert. Now from I am reading, Ford has 11 different valving combinations on shocks and struts for the 2011 model and several different spring rates. That being said, I have read a few places that the Brembo Package basically comes with the stiffest setup and after driving my coupe, I believe it. That thing has a firm ride. If they put the same suspension under the Vert with a Brembo package, wouldnt that net the same performance result? Its no longer a smooth cruiser, because my car is a tick away from feeling like its got full stiff Koni Sports on it. I think it should be an "option" for those people who want the performance and the top down.

#11 ·
Ford Racing does offer a "performance suspension package" for the GT convertible:

"Put a little "Road Race" into your street car! Fits 2011 Mustang GT Convertible. For coupe see M-FR3-MGTA Handling Pack includes: Dampers Lowering Springs Sway Bars M-5490-D Strut Tower Brace M-20201-S197 Front Strut Mount Upgrade M-18183-CAll components are designed to work together as a package Lowers car approximately 1" Note:Some factory fasteners are one time use. Please reference service manual for reuse information and correct torque specifications."

Mustang Packs - Performance Packs, Power Packs, Handling Packs, Superchargers - Ford Racing Performance Parts

#13 ·
I agree with you on the suspension and gears for a vert. My 2012 GT/CS vert is in the shop right now having some suspension mods done.

Going with Steeda Sport Springs, 2011 adjustable mounts, keeping the stock struts and shocks, and adding an adjustable panhard rod. If it rides the way I want, then good. If not, I'll wait until the aftermarket comes out with 2011+ struts/shocks and change them.

I will change the gearing, but can't decide on 3.55 or 3.73. The 3.73 might move the heavier vert a little better, but I'm not sure about it's attitude when running 80 on interstates.

Shipey

#15 ·
Not according to a tech guy at Steeda. He said one of their 2011's is equipped that way, and it makes a great street driver with better than stock handling and a little firmer ride.

I'll post after getting my car back next weekend.

Shipey

#16 ·
Asa cruiser the 3.31:1 is a great gear. It is a little long in first gear though. As stated it is not an option with teh Vert. I would not see any reason your dealer would not warranty the gear upgrade. In fact, insist on it.

As you can see by my Ride, I have performance brakes, performance suspension and the Long 3:31 gears. But at this point I am going to stick with them. I am enjoying my 50 mile commute and getting 24MPG. :)

But then again, the 3.73 would be Fun!!! sometimes.

#17 ·
I thought the 3:31 was because of the auto, not the 'vert. The car is plenty peppy enough with the 3:31's, I couldn't imagine a 3:73. 3:55's maybe...

#18 ·
Talked with Shelby American at Ford Nationals in Carlisle, PA yesterday. They put 3.73's in the GT350 convertible. Most people posting seem to prefer the 3.73 choice to 3.55. Other than about 1 mpg on the highway, there doesn't seem to be any downsides.

#20 ·
I have a 2012 GT Premium Vert (manual). After adding the Ford Racing Performance Pack (GT500 axle-back mufflers and especially the Procal tune) I have zero desire to change the gearing. Plus, you get better sound at the same time. Depending on install cost, probably cheaper, too.

I strongly recommend doing that instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.