Security key and door lock. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Security key and door lock.

I'd like to have a wallet key. Some cars need the security key to function in the trunk and door locks. If a regular key is used here the car will be disabled. Can the 2011 Mustang use a conventional key in these locks?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboy View Post
Can the 2011 Mustang use a conventional key in these locks?
If you mean can you use a key without the remote buttons built in, yes. If you mean are there any thin enough to fit in a wallet, I don't know. It has to have the chip in it. You didn't mention if you have the security package; you may need to disarm it with a remote but I don't know because I don't have that package.

2016 Oxford White GT Premium, Performance Package w/silver wheels, 401A, Premier Redline trim, Adaptive Cruise, NAV, Reverse sensing
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
If you mean can you use a key without the remote buttons built in, yes. If you mean are there any thin enough to fit in a wallet, I don't know. It has to have the chip in it. You didn't mention if you have the security package; you may need to disarm it with a remote but I don't know because I don't have that package.
I want to use a conventional key to unlock the door. No chips, no buttons, fits fine in a wallet. My Mustang does not have factory security package.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011
GT Member

Quote:
I want to use a conventional key to unlock the door. No chips, no buttons, fits fine in a wallet. My Mustang does not have factory security package.
I can't say for sure. But I can give you a few pieces of your puzzle to help out.

To start the car a key has to have a chip that you marry the car to. And you have to have two keys already married to the car in order to marry any additional keys. If you don't, the dealer has to do it at much greater cost.

If you just want to unlock the door, I don't know if a key has to have the chip but I would guess it does NOT need a chip. Maybe someone can post who knows for sure.

But why would you want to open the door with one key and then fumble for another key to start the car when the one that starts the car would open the door?

Are you trying to rig up a push button start or something?

As for putting a Ford non-remote key in your wallet, the keys Ford sells are NOT the same thickness as the blade for the whole length; the handle part is thicker. So I guess you can put it in a wallet if you don't mind some bulges. Those keys are not like the ones I have from older GM cars where I had a key that fit into a credit card size soft plastic envelope that fit well in a wallet.

2016 Oxford White GT Premium, Performance Package w/silver wheels, 401A, Premier Redline trim, Adaptive Cruise, NAV, Reverse sensing
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

The owners manual is clear as mud on this: "The key blade functions as a programed key which starts the vehicle and unlocks/unlocks all the doors". I get the programing part for the ignition but is the door lock also programed to this same key? My guess is the same as yours in that a conventional key will unlock the car and not disable the ignition when you imediately use the programed key to start the car.

Quote:
But why would you want to open the door with one key and then fumble for another key to start the car when the one that starts the car would open the door?.
LOL! Real life strikes sometimes! If you have ever lost your key away from home, you would want to get into the car to retrieve the second programed set. The blade on the programed remote is the same as a conventional key you can get at a hardware store and obviously not like the non- remote programed keys ( or $$$) available thru Ford.........Perhaps I should just go and park at the Ford dealer, try out the hardware key in the door and if the car don't start using the programed remote key then.....its a short walk to the service desk! Sealing the 2nd. programed remote in a magnetic box hidden on the car my second approach then.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011
GT Member

Quote:
LOL! Real life strikes sometimes! If you have ever lost your key away from home, you would want to get into the car to retrieve the second programed set.
Doh! Didn't think of that, although I wouldn't keep a spare key in my car. Still would be good to be able to get in.

Quote:
The blade on the programed remote is the same as a conventional key you can get at a hardware store and obviously not like the non- remote programed keys ( or $$$) available thru Ford.........Perhaps I should just go and park at the Ford dealer, try out the hardware key in the door and if the car don't start using the programed remote key then.....its a short walk to the service desk! Sealing the 2nd. programed remote in a magnetic box hidden on the car my second approach then.
There is a simpler test. Just pull a battery cable and confirm you can physically unlock the door with your regular key. I'm positive it will. Even if that would set off the "panic" mode with the battery connected, who cares If you are just trying to get in to retrieve a "real" key that can turn it off.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

In with the key & prayer.

Thanks for the tip H-DAD. Today I went at it with the Ace hardware cut key without disconnecting the battery................... Its a go! Our guesses where right. There is no electronic connection to a regular spare key ( or the chipped ignition key) and the door lock on the Mustang. WHEW.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

Every time I buy a new car I get a key made at the local hardware store so I can keep it in a magnetic box located somewhere under the car. It has come in handy a couple of times when I left the key with the chip laying on the seat or in the ignition.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tip H-DAD. Today I went at it with the Ace hardware cut key without disconnecting the battery................... Its a go! Our guesses where right. There is no electronic connection to a regular spare key ( or the chipped ignition key) and the door lock on the Mustang. WHEW.
Cool!

So is the key all the same thickness as the blade to fit flat in a wallet?

PONY Member

Quote:
Thanks for asking and figuring this out for me lol. I also have a need. Not only do I like to be able to get into the vehicle in case I do a bone head move and lock the keys in, but I also like to clip a key on my gear when I go SCUBA diving. I hate hiding the key on the outside of the car as I'm always scared someone is watching, and I already destroyed one chip key by taking along with me. It sill opens the door, but won't work in the ignition

2012 GT Grabber Blue Vert, 6MT
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Cool!

So is the key all the same thickness as the blade to fit flat in a wallet?
Yes, an all metal key same thickness blade to key chain hole!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page