Midpipe/header combo - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Midpipe/header combo

I will be in the market for a midpipe soon. I don't know if this has been discussed on this forum or not. I want an h-pipe but don't know if you can hook up longtubes. Are all midpipes universal or do you have to get a SW X-pipe to match up with SW headers?
Heart throb is the only company offering an h-pipe before the cats. Lethal has one but elimates cats and headers won't work with that combo. Want an h but if I need be I may have to get an X. Anyone have any good info thanks!

2012 White Red Stripes GT500 540/522
-SW Full exhaust -2.8 Metco pulley
2004 White Lightning C&L CAI,exhaust,tuned
2011 Sterling Grey5.0 SOLD
3.73-M6-MGW-AED tuned-JBA Full exhaust-BMR Suspension-423/401
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011
Grimace427

I would suggest staying with one brand for headers with a catted h-pipe. Both Kooks and American Racing Headers offer what you want for sure, and Stainless Works at least has a catted x-pipe, not sure on the h-pipe from them.

American Racing 2011 5.0L GT 1 7/8 Headers w/Catted Mid Pipe [ARH-MST-CY78WC] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Kooks 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 3 x 2-3/4 Catted H pipe [KOO-60-42-CATH] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
Kooks 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 1-3/4 x 3 Longtube Headers [KOO-60-41-175] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I want it to be offroad no cats. Plus I want the midpipe now and headers later so I want an h pipe for now but don't know if it will connect with headers. I will settle with an xpipe if headers are not universal. SW has an xpipe with leads to take cats off and one before the cats. So they may be the choice right now because I can take off the leads and add the longtubes.

2012 White Red Stripes GT500 540/522
-SW Full exhaust -2.8 Metco pulley
2004 White Lightning C&L CAI,exhaust,tuned
2011 Sterling Grey5.0 SOLD
3.73-M6-MGW-AED tuned-JBA Full exhaust-BMR Suspension-423/401

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011
Grimace427

An offroad midpipe for stock headers will not be compatible with longtube headers. Either get them at the same time, or purchase two seperate midpipes.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011
PONY Member

contact Bassani exhaust they have a setup.

2013 Boss 302
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011
Apprentice

The Bassani is sweet. Use it now with the stock headers/cats, and also with the adapters when you go to longtubes. I think this system just went to the top of my wish list.

2011 Mustang Gt Bassani Cat-Back With X Crossover at LRS - Same Day Shipping!#

2011 Grabber Blue GT/CS 6MT | 3.73 | HID | Security
-Roush AB, Grabberpony Grabber Blue shift knob, DG Customs quarter window louvers, stripes removed & 5.0 emblems added

375 rwhp / 361 rwtq - stock

Delivered 3/29/11
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011
GT Member

I went thru this a couple weeks ago...
I wanted long tubes and catted H-pipe...
Each header manufacture makes the H or X pipe for their own headers and using a mix I do not think will work…
I am old school and made a big mistake on the term LONG TUBE
I bought the Kooks Long tube and to me it is a mid-length not long tube…
A full-length header turns and runs under the car… The Kooks stop at the bottom of the firewall, the H-pipe has the 45 to start under the car at the collector……
At the time Kooks were the only people that made a catted or none catted H-pipe...
I tried an X-pipe and I was not a fan of the rasp from the chamber from the X...
I think JBA might have one available now...

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page