A Very Bad Weekend - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

A Very Bad Weekend

For the second weekend in a row I had to go to Kansas City from OKC for family events for my wife's family. I really didn't want to do this but I can tolerate it since I can drive my Stang up there About and hour after I left the sky started looking pretty nasty. Just as I was trying to find something on the radio and trying to look at radar on my phone it started to hail. There was a bridge in the distance so I decided I would go for it. Not but a couple seconds later a quarter size stone hit the very bottom of my winshield and broke itAll the bridges were already filled with cars so I just had to sit exposed and take it. Now I have a broke window and $1350 worth of hail damge on my hood, roof, and door. I'm at work now but I will post some pics later. The guy was confident that he could make it look like new, even on the aluminum hood so I hope that is the case.

As if the hail wasn't bad enough on my way home the fuel gage went from half a tank all the way to empty instantly. Knowing that I had enough fuel to get me home I just figured that the computer was freaking out for some reason. After driving a couple more miles the car died and I had to put roadside assistance to work. I had them bring out some fuel but wasn't aware of the funnel you need to use to fill your car with a gas can so the fuel just poured out as fast as you poured it in. The guy left to get his tow truck and luckily when I called my brother and told him he knew about it so I called the guy and told him to bring the gas can just in case. He came back, we used the funnel and the car started right up. I called the dealer today and found out there is a TSB for the fuel pump that sends it from one side of the tank to the other over the driveshaft hump. So until they get the new fuel pump in I have to make sure to always have more than a half tank of gas.

Not the way I wanted the weekend to go but on the brightside I did spank a BMW 6 series convertible with four adults in my car

-Steve
2011 GT Premium, Kona Blue, Security, Brembo, and 3.73s
Mods: Magnaflow Street Series Cat Back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

yeah, those "dentless" repair guys can work magic...had a car once in a major hailstorm, they fixed it and I pocketed $500 in extra insurance money, so se la vie

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Mine was in the garage and it skirted by my house but it put golf ball size holes in my brothers roof and beat his cherokee up in sumter SC.

I sat up till 3am with 2 comforters by my front door to cover my nissan versa with but it never even rained...

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011
Rookie

I cried for you, man....

2011 GT, manual trans, Black, Brembo pkg, security pkg, electronics pkg, comfort pkg. 3:73 gears. 20% tint. It's my mid life crisis.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011
PONY Member

Send a message via AIM to solidhex
We had hail here in LA a few weeks back for this first time I could remember in a looooong time. My car was outside on the street and I almost shat my pants. Luckily for me, it was more a slushy hail but I was scared nonetheless.

Sorry to hear about your damage. Maybe this means some new exterior mods?

6spd 2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium 401A
3.73 rear-end
HID headlamps & security package
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

That's some sick stuff man. I can only imagine how much you enjoyed those family events under those circumstances, when you weren't thrilled to begin with.

2011 GT Kona Blue - Saddle 400a, 6MT, 3.55, Electronic, Brembo, Glass Roof, HID, Security, Comfort, RearVC, GT500 Mufflers, Procal tuner, Vorshlag brake lines, Boss/CS Fascia, Brake cooling ducts
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011
Rookie

Had hail damage as well once and the paintless repair places do work magic. Can't even tell it was ever dented. Even fixed a couple of other minor dings that I had. Just make sure you go to a local body shop, not one of those "storm chasers" that way if things don't come out as you like they'll still be around.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSteve View Post
For the second weekend in a row I had to go to Kansas City from OKC for family events for my wife's family. I really didn't want to do this but I can tolerate it since I can drive my Stang up there About and hour after I left the sky started looking pretty nasty. Just as I was trying to find something on the radio and trying to look at radar on my phone it started to hail. There was a bridge in the distance so I decided I would go for it. Not but a couple seconds later a quarter size stone hit the very bottom of my winshield and broke itAll the bridges were already filled with cars so I just had to sit exposed and take it. Now I have a broke window and $1350 worth of hail damge on my hood, roof, and door. I'm at work now but I will post some pics later. The guy was confident that he could make it look like new, even on the aluminum hood so I hope that is the case.

As if the hail wasn't bad enough on my way home the fuel gage went from half a tank all the way to empty instantly. Knowing that I had enough fuel to get me home I just figured that the computer was freaking out for some reason. After driving a couple more miles the car died and I had to put roadside assistance to work. I had them bring out some fuel but wasn't aware of the funnel you need to use to fill your car with a gas can so the fuel just poured out as fast as you poured it in. The guy left to get his tow truck and luckily when I called my brother and told him he knew about it so I called the guy and told him to bring the gas can just in case. He came back, we used the funnel and the car started right up. I called the dealer today and found out there is a TSB for the fuel pump that sends it from one side of the tank to the other over the driveshaft hump. So until they get the new fuel pump in I have to make sure to always have more than a half tank of gas.

Not the way I wanted the weekend to go but on the brightside I did spank a BMW 6 series convertible with four adults in my car
That really sucks.

BTW, supposedly there is a funnel in the trunk for that purpose but the people who posted that say its definitely a single use at best.

And there is a TSB on the fuel level problem. These cars have a two part tank. The engine draws from one side and a pump transfers fuel to that side from the other side. That pump has been known to crap out. So you literally can go from half a tank to empty almost instantly. IIRC part of the "fix" is to put in a higher amp fuse for that pump.

2016 Oxford White GT Premium, Performance Package w/silver wheels, 401A, Premier Redline trim, Adaptive Cruise, NAV, Reverse sensing
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011
Apprentice

Garage
Oh, no. the hail part is really bad.

But the BMW6 part is sweet.
BOSS Member

Garage
The Hail thing sucks but how the hell did you get two adults in the back seat ?

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
That's some sick stuff man. I can only imagine how much you enjoyed those family events under those circumstances, when you weren't thrilled to begin with.
As much as it sucks there really isn't anything that I could do about it so I just sucked it up and waited for happy hour

Quote:
Had hail damage as well once and the paintless repair places do work magic. Can't even tell it was ever dented. Even fixed a couple of other minor dings that I had. Just make sure you go to a local body shop, not one of those "storm chasers" that way if things don't come out as you like they'll still be around.
A friend of mine that sold cars for years hooked me up with one of the best guys in the area so it should be good to go. Living in OK you see those guys all the time since we usually get at least one bad hail storm a year. I was glad that my buddy could point me in the right direction.

Quote:
The Hail thing sucks but how the hell did you get two adults in the back seat ?
LOL, when I say adults one was my wife and the other is my brother in laws girlfriend who is 5'4" and maybe 110lbs soaking wet with boots on. I have had two guys in the back before that are close to 6' tall. That was pretty tight but doable.

Quote:
But the BMW6 part is sweet.
That was fun. He didn't look too happy that a $30k car beat up on him

-Steve
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSteve View Post

Dude,,that is a bad Effin day...hope somthing good comes out of it !

2012 GT Premium, BLACK,401A blk/cashmere,3.73,Brembos,Glass Roof,Hood scoop,ped spoiler,C/S dark stainless grill/C/S lower fascia with fogs
Ordered 1/3/11, Vin 4/7/11,Built 4/25/11,Delivered 5/13/11

MODS: ROUSH axlebacks, ROUSH interior trim,ROUSH illuminated door sills,ROUSH CAI, smoked tail, marker lights,decklid blackout, AM louvers,35% tint, Barton short throw shifter/bracket.iTSX tuner with BAMA 93 tune
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Dude,,that is a bad Effin day...hope somthing good comes out of it !
Me too! I'm going to Vegas in a few weeks so I figure by then my luck has to change. Maybe it will turn around and I can win some money to finance new exhaust

-Steve
GT Member

You think hail is bad?

YouTube - Flying Silver Carp on Wabash River in Indiana

2016 Oxford White GT Premium, Performance Package w/silver wheels, 401A, Premier Redline trim, Adaptive Cruise, NAV, Reverse sensing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page