Road Trip SE Ohio - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Road Trip SE Ohio

Just went on a 500+ mile daytrip through the backroads of the SE Ohio countryside in my 5.0L/brembo/3.73. Ive had the car for about 8 months and this was the first time I discovered how awesome the brembos are, puttering around town doesn't do them justice. On my car anyway, the initial bite and braking power is soft but when you stay with it and press even harder, the stopping power is tremendous. Its a Jekyll and Hyde difference...turning in to the local 7-11 youre not going to tap in to that braking power but at 75, 85, 95 mph...push down on those brakes and anything loose in the car is going to go flying into the dash. Brakes don't squeal, shudder, unbalance the car or pull it left or right...just awesome immediate stopping power without any drama. Just about perfect brakes in my book.

3.73s were fine on the highway. If youre going to cruise at 120+mph for hours on end it may get noisy and fatiguing, but at 80-90-100 it was fine, stays under 3000rpm. The car is not mercedes benz/lexus quiet and serene at high speed, but with the windows up its remarkably quiet for a sports car.

I really like the navigation system/satellite radio/ipod capability, although it would be nice to be able to download pre-planned routes into it like with a portable garmin device for example. Its somewhat awkward plotting routes and managing waypoints on the screen itself (or maybe Im doing it wrong).

Another feature I like is the ability to disable the AdvanceTrak feature to tighten up the steering; I would guess 30-40% tighter...anyway its substantial and noticeable. Excellent feature for high speed driving.

Gas mileage? Who cares, its a 5.0L 412hp sportscar. (about 21 mpg interstate/backroads).

The car is a bit heavy for the type of tight curvy roads I found in SE Ohio, but it sure gobbles them up in a hurry. Passing is a non-event on the typical 2-lane backroads...so much torque in this engine.

The car told me a lot today that I didn't know about before...everything just works right on it. Its a pleasure to take on long distance drives. Hats off to the boys at Ford who put this amazing GT car together.

ps - anyone care to share pics/stories of some of their favorite driving roads?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fff.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	128462   Click image for larger version

Name:	ffk.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	128463   Click image for larger version

Name:	bbn.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	128466   Click image for larger version

Name:	err.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	128467   Click image for larger version

Name:	56g.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	128468  

Name:	gfd.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	128469   Click image for larger version

Name:	455.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	128470   Click image for larger version

Name:	ams.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	128471   Click image for larger version

Name:	dff2.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	128472   Click image for larger version

Name:	jhg.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	128473  

Name:	fggc.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	128474   Click image for larger version

Name:	ggg.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	128475   Click image for larger version

Name:	2334.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	128476  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011
PONY Member

Sounds like a nice trip

I have found a great map of driving roads if anyone come to (or is) from Ontario
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/ontario_bikeroads.jpg
Personally I can vouch hwy 507 all they way north to Kennisis Lake as an amazing drive

2000 V6

Infinite wishlist
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011
GT Member

SW to SE Ohio

Yes a nice day trip from Cicinnati to Athens VIA the Appalachian HWY 32 nice stretches of flat even roads then winding hilly roads then just winding roads through the Shawnee Forest Region.
A mixture of Amish Farmland , Small Town USA, River Valleys and Forest. I can't wait to get out of this place it is a hole.

T Wayne in Iraq 3 Colors to Choose From Lite Tan , Desert Tan, or just Tan

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011
Apprentice

Looks like fun... thanks for the feedback on the car!

2012 GT - 6 SPD -Silver - Saddle - Brembo - 3.73 - HID - SP -
Ordered - 03/14/11
Delivered - 05/25/11
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Garage
Beautiful car! Seems like I was told you can use Mapquest and Google Maps and send your trips to the car via SYNC. That would be a little more handy, I think.

2012 GT Premium Convertible, 401A, Ingot Silver, Brick Red/Cashmere Leather, Auto, HID, Security, Electronics Pkg, Comfort, Rear Camera.....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011
mhg
Apprentice

I'll be in S.E. Ohio at the end of june
It is some beutiful rolling hills and a blast to drive
This will be my first long drive in the new stang and I'm looking forward to it.
Thanks for the pics.
Mike

Black 2011
V6 auto
K&N panel filter
GT mufflers
SCT tuner
17"X8" Bullit wheels
245.45.17 tires
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011
GT Member

Question

For us who have never driven the new ones how is the electric steering as compared to the rack&pinion? And how does it work all the articles I read is about the engines V6 & V8 and the punch they deliver and it sounds like everyone is pleased in that department.
I have been overseas ever since they showed up at the dealer so all I see is what you all post. The PICS yes it was nice to see home thank you very much.

T Wayne
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

T.Wayne, Thanx for serving! I like the EPAS, I feel more connected to the road. The only drawback for me is the GT500 take-offs on my 5.0 don't like some road surfaces and will cause a little feedback thru the steering wheel. Not much of an issue, happens mostly on some bridges. These stangs aren't just about the engines!
OP, I can't wait to go back to the Smokies, great rides there! My trips to the convenience store make me smile...

-God bless the people who run to danger, first responders and our Military-
2011 GB 5.0 GT-A w/ Geezer Pkg, 3D Carbon body kit, 08 GT500 18" nto's, MRT rear louvers, SS Eleanor grille, Roush rear spoiler, SHR gas door and qtr window louvers. Pypes Super System, SLP rear decklid.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011
GT Member

Now your talking

CAPT the Smokies yes it is always nice. Thanks for the feed back on the new Stangs My 06 GT has 30,000 on it and it's paid off so hard to part with it and I'm only 30hp or so away from what the new 5.0 puts out to the ground from the factory. I must say those Pics of the dash looks like a Rocketship compared to my 06 but I love the work I have done and the help from the guys from Brenspeed I would have a hard time parting with my Pony.

T Wayne I'm walking through the desert because they would not let me bring my Pony. BUNCH OF HATERS
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyn View Post
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/ontario_bikeroads.jpg Personally I can vouch hwy 507 all they way north to Kennisis Lake as an amazing drive
Thanks. Canada must be a beautiful place to take a roadtrip. Lived here all my life, never considered all the driving possibilities Canada has to offer.
Quote:
Yes a nice day trip from Cicinnati to Athens VIA the Appalachian HWY 32 nice stretches of flat even roads then winding hilly roads then just winding roads through the Shawnee Forest Region.
A mixture of Amish Farmland , Small Town USA, River Valleys and Forest. I can't wait to get out of this place it is a hole.
Sounds good, nice combination of roads. As an aside, I saw one of those Amish carriages go by in downtown Nashville, OH when I was refueling and they are just plain scary looking/sounding. Jet black carriage drawn by a galloping jet black horse...the sound of hooves on pavement. High sides on the carriage so you can't see the passengers. Freaked me right out.
Quote:
Seems like I was told you can use Mapquest and Google Maps and send your trips to the car via SYNC.
TDI (Traffic, Directions and Information) is unavailable on the 2011 Mustang according to customer service guy (gal?) Timur. Said it was coming soon though.
Quote:
For us who have never driven the new ones how is the electric steering as compared to the rack&pinion?
I put steering into 2 categories: feel and responsiveness. Ive driven Audis and BMWs that I would classify as having great road "feel" as well as responsiveness. Ive driven an Infiniti G35x that had responsiveness but little road feel. I would put the Mustang in with the Infiniti in that the steering is very responsive (think go-kart), but lacking in road feel like the Audi. I really like the Audi/BMW type of steering, makes you feel that much more in control and part of the car.
Quote:
T Wayne I'm walking through the desert because they would not let me bring my Pony. BUNCH OF HATERS
I think the Iraqi car thieves would go nuts over your Mustang. A rocketship in the desert!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page