Auto Dimming Mirrors - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
MACH I Member

First its the blind spot mirrors inset in the side view mirrors, now its the auto dimming rear view? What a bunch of crusty old turds. Might as well gave a complimentary membership to AARP or teen club with every Mustang sold last year.

So with the premium package you get the underwhelming/over base Shaker "Door" 500, Sync, auto dimming rear view mirror, lighted cup holders, multi-colored gauges (ricey), leather seats, and a nice steering wheel?

I like the seats & steering wheel, if I were buying again, I'd get the performance package.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Personally i probaby wouldnt bother with the "Premium" 400A or whatever its called.

For me its the 401A (Premium+upgrade) or the 402A (GT/CS) Interiors with Nav or nothing. I have seen comments about how much "nicer" the SRT8s interior is but i think thats from people with base or the standard "premium" interiors.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
PONY Member

Yeah, I have the 401A interior and absolutely love it. The grabber blue striping and stitching matches the car and looks great. I get tons of complements on the interior. Most people don't believe it is stock.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.

PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynDriver View Post
This is especially a problem in NYC where both cops and taxicabs are Crown Vics, and the only way to tell the difference between them at night is to note the difference between a full light bar on top of the car and a taxi sign on top of the car -- a shadow that's easily discernible in a regular mirror, but completely invisible in a dimming mirror. One of these days I'm going to get a ticket because of this.
Im pretty sure the piggies drive white cars with huge light bars on them, and black undercovers, and the taxis are yellow Just relax, I have my windows tinted 5% and I can tell the difference between the two, also dont most po po in the city drive chevy impalas? not just crown vics, and how can you speed in the city to begin with?? :nogrinner

2011 Black V6 Premium MCA Edition | Charcoal Int. | Carbon Fiber Dash
Rapid Spec 203A (MCA)
3.31 Gears|Comfort Package|HIDs|Security Package
Mods:
Tinted Signals|20% Tint AA|Borla ATAK Cat-Backs|JLT CAI|BAMA 89P Tune|Alpine Type-R Two Ways (Doors/Rear Deck)|Kicker CVR 12|Kicker DX500.1
PONY Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'd think it'd always be dim, which is kind of the problem... I want it to never be dim. I never used the flip-up mirror dimming on older cars because having the mirror dim just means that you get to see less stuff out of the mirror. It's kind of the equivalent of reacting to the sun going down by putting on sunglasses.
Cover the two sensors at the bottom of the mirror facing you. The mirror will never "see" the headlights behind you and won't dim.

2011 Kona Blue/Charcoal GT, 400A Premium,6sp MT, HID's, Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.73's, Koni SRT/SteedaSports+Panhard, GT500 Mufflers
'06 Mazda Tribute,'05 Honda ST1300
'03 Yamaha FZ1000 '98 '00 '02 '04 Ford Expedition
'93 Buick Regal '90 Ford Explorer '87 F-250HD Diesel
'85 Yamaha FJ1100 '83 Honda NightHawk 650
'80 Olds Cutlass '70 Ford LTD
PONY Member

Quote:
What are you talking about? I love my Mustang; I'm just not used to a lot of the doodads on modern cars.

I'm also intrigued by your comment there -- I admit that I have no idea how the auto-dimming mechanism works. If I put electrical tape over the sensors, does that mean that it will always be dim, or never be dim?

And I've never owned an '84 Civic, but a '77 Corolla was my first car as a teenager... got that in 1999.

Based on my understanding of how photodiodes work (and I'm an avionics technician for the navy, so I've got a pretty good understanding), the increased voltage produced by the increased light collection (from bright-ass headlights) causes the mirror to darken. By putting opaque tape over said diodes, you are eliminating their ability to collect light - and thus produce voltage and dim the mirror. Plus, electrical tape conforms easily and is black so it doesn't stick out.

Try it out, I think you'll like it.

2012 GT Premium Coupe 6MT
Kona Blue | Black/Grabber Blue
401A | 3.55 | BBP | CP | SP | EP | GR | HID | RVC | RSS | "Piss 5ohwhoa off"
Delivered 07MAR11
Apprentice

I put black electrical tape over sensors
that detect light. You can't see tape and prevents
mirror from getting dark.

GT perf. white 401A
Secr.pkg,comf.pkg,3.55
GT500 A/Bs,Roush billet grill,GT/CS facia w/fogs,oil catch can,
hood struts,Kappa Infinity6829s.Body color side skirts & rear
valance,STEEDA,sports,adj.GT 500 mounts, upper & lower control arms,bumpsteer kit,x11 ball joints,panhard bar,KONI yellows,Omega Godspeed wheels staggered,295/30/20 rear, 255/35/20'front.
PONY Member

There are two sensors used to dim the mirror. One senses ambient light in front of it, and one senses light from behind the vehicle. If you want it to be dim, you only need to block the front one. Blocking the rear is not needed. If light is present on both sides, it doesn't dim. It has to see darkness on the front and light on the back to dim down. The sensors are simply inputs, the voltage generated is used to tell a printed circuit if it needs to dim the mirror or not, it does not power the mirror at all.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011GrabberGT View Post
There are two sensors used to dim the mirror. One senses ambient light in front of it, and one senses light from behind the vehicle. If you want it to be dim, you only need to block the front one. Blocking the rear is not needed. If light is present on both sides, it doesn't dim. It has to see darkness on the front and light on the back to dim down. The sensors are simply inputs, the voltage generated is used to tell a printed circuit if it needs to dim the mirror or not, it does not power the mirror at all.
Well I left a few steps out in the interest of simplicity, but OP does NOT want the mirrors to dim - he wants them to stay at 0% photochromicity at all times. Therefore covering the rear photodiodes would be the easiest way to do that.

2012 GT Premium Coupe 6MT
Kona Blue | Black/Grabber Blue
401A | 3.55 | BBP | CP | SP | EP | GR | HID | RVC | RSS | "Piss 5ohwhoa off"
Delivered 07MAR11
PONY Member

Agreed, to do that the rear would need to be blocked instead. AFAIK, the left one is the Sync microphone, and the right one is the actual sensor.

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Unhappy

Two points: one, thanks for the tip on covering the sensors! I'll give that a shot. Electrical tape is one of the emergency repair items I always keep in the car (along with fuses, jumper cables, zip ties, motor oil, and coolant) in case of emergency.

Also, as to the geezer comments... I just turned 30. Jeez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IpureI View Post
Im pretty sure the piggies drive white cars with huge light bars on them, and black undercovers, and the taxis are yellow Just relax, I have my windows tinted 5% and I can tell the difference between the two, also dont most po po in the city drive chevy impalas? not just crown vics, and how can you speed in the city to begin with?? :nogrinner
Some Impalas and some Chargers, but mostly Crown Vics. You're right that it's essentially impossible to speed inside the city, but I drive in Jersey, PA, and on Long Island a lot. As for the rest, telling a yellow car from a white or black one at night is easy in an undimmed mirror. In a dimmed one, all you can see is two dots of headlights, and that's it. Can't even see the shape of the car, much less the color.

CURRENT: 2011 V6 Premium Automatic, Kona Blue, Pony Package

ON ORDER: 2015 GT Premium Automatic, Deep Impact Blue, Shaker Audio, 50th Anniversary Appearance Package, Navigation
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Also, as to the geezer comments... I just turned 30. Jeez.
I'm 44 and I know people that are half my age that are twice as old.

"Geezer" is a state of mind.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IpureI View Post
... and how can you speed in the city to begin with?? :nogrinner
Take a taxi through Manhattan sometime and you'll find out it's VERY possible. Be sure to enjoy the lights and pretty colors as you watch your life flash before your eyes.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412horses View Post
Take a taxi through Manhattan sometime and you'll find out it's VERY possible. Be sure to enjoy the lights and pretty colors as you watch your life flash before your eyes.
It used to be my favorite thing in the world to take friends of mine from out of town, visiting New York for the first time, on a drive down Broadway through Times Square... except I'd usually be driving at about 50 mph and bobbing and weaving through pedestrians as I went. It would scare them half to death, fun times.

Unfortunately, they blocked off Broadway through Times Square and Herald Square about two years ago, so now it's just pedestrian avenues you can't drive down. Boo on that.

CURRENT: 2011 V6 Premium Automatic, Kona Blue, Pony Package

ON ORDER: 2015 GT Premium Automatic, Deep Impact Blue, Shaker Audio, 50th Anniversary Appearance Package, Navigation
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412horses View Post
Yea I have before, in the drivers seat too cause my family elected to sit in back... Ive seen several memories flash before me on several occasions... haha its always the serbian drivers that dont care about the car/passengers but rather the fare and how fast they get there so they look good and get more money :laughlitt

2011 Black V6 Premium MCA Edition | Charcoal Int. | Carbon Fiber Dash
Rapid Spec 203A (MCA)
3.31 Gears|Comfort Package|HIDs|Security Package
Mods:
Tinted Signals|20% Tint AA|Borla ATAK Cat-Backs|JLT CAI|BAMA 89P Tune|Alpine Type-R Two Ways (Doors/Rear Deck)|Kicker CVR 12|Kicker DX500.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page