Can side scoops and window louvers be removed? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Can side scoops and window louvers be removed?

I have a 2012 GT on order but am getting impatient and looking at available dealer stock. Tricky part is that I have pretty specific desires. I found one car nearby that has most of what I want and not too much of what I don't. However, it does have the accessory package 5 which comes with all the scoops and louvers. Is it possible to remove that stuff? I could probably live with the hood scoop and the spoiler but don't like the side window louvers and side scoops. Also, what is the racing stripe made of? Is it a vinyl sticker that could also be removed?

On a related note - is there a good way to search for dealer inventory to match specific desired options? It is a very manual process to have to go to each dealer's website.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

The racing stripes are a vinyl decal usually made by 3M and those are super easy to remove - heat them up with a heat gun or hair dryer and pull back.

The scoops are generally head on by 3M double sided tape - just pull and they'll come off! Put some force behind it because that stuff holds darn well!

Good luck!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011
Apprentice

So there is no chance that there would be remaining glue/sticky stuff to mar the paint job appearance?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011
MACH I Member

Don't wanna rip the hood scoop off, as it is bolted to the hood.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011
Rookie

I've heard that the hood scoop is secured with both tape AND bolts/screws. The side scoops may only be secured with tape, but you probably want to be positive before trying to yank them off.

Ask your dealership service department to look it up. They should have documentation on hand for stuff like this, since they could potentially find themselves doing repair work that involved replacing the part. The documentation they would refer to would include definitive answers.

Also, if you go to remove the scoops and louvers, i you may want to consider "cutting" the double-sided tape with fishing wire instead of just yanking. I'd be ever so slightly paranoid of ripping the color-coat off considering how strong that 3M stuff gets vs uncured paint.

Either way you go, have a plan in place for dealing with residue and the pieces of tape that end up favoring the car when you pull it off. I'm not sure how you safely clean that crap off, but I know a few people out there have done it while swapping spoiler models.

2012 Mustang GT | Grabber Blue | Manual Trans | Prem Charcoal Trim | Comfort Pkg | 18" Polished Al Wheels | Pedestal Spoiler | Born: 04/15/2011

Mod List: Visor Warning Label Delete | LED Map/Trunk/Plate/Reverse/Marker Lights | Sylvania SilverStar Head/Foglights | 3M Clearbra Kit | Clear Front Marker Lenses | 401A Aluminum Shifter | Ghost Armor Radio Display Protection | GT500 Axel-back Exhaust | 4x Pioneer TS-D6802R Speakers | Dynamat! | Lloyd Ultimat Floormats (Ebony) | 50% Window Tint
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks guys. I'll talk to the dealer about removing them if I end up going this route.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

I almost did the same thing while waiting almost 4 months for my order. I never found my exact stang, even while searching dealer sites 2k miles away. Now I am glad I waited and got MY 5.0.

-God bless the people who run to danger, first responders and our Military-
2011 GB 5.0 GT-A w/ Geezer Pkg, 3D Carbon body kit, 08 GT500 18" nto's, MRT rear louvers, SS Eleanor grille, Roush rear spoiler, SHR gas door and qtr window louvers. Pypes Super System, SLP rear decklid.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011
Rookie

The louvers on the side rear windows of my Mustang came off the minute I got home from the dealership. Mine were fastened with velcro. The louvers pulled off with some force and I used a razor blade to remove the part of the velcro that was stuck to the window glass. Much better!

The Car: 2011 GT Black on Black, 6MT, 3.73s, HIDs, Brembos, Comfort, Security, Shaker 1000

The Mods: JLT CF CAI, GT 500 axle-back, SCT w/ Bama tune, H&R SS Springs, Tokico D-Specs, Boss Splitter, GT/CS Fascia, Saleen Grill, Roush Rocker Splitters, tinted, TSW Nurburgrings 8.5/10"x20", Nitto Invos 255/35F and 295/35R
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyP View Post
On a related note - is there a good way to search for dealer inventory to match specific desired options? It is a very manual process to have to go to each dealer's website.
Use cars.com or autotrader.com to search for your car. You can put as much or as little info as you want in the search. Once you get a list of vehicles, you can click on each one that sounds like it might be what you are looking for. The listing will contain the VIN. Go to http://services.forddirect.fordvehic...icker.pdf?vin= and plug the VIN after the = at the end. This will bring up the window sticker and give you the exact specs of the car.

This is what I did to find my car 750 miles away.

Rob

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Rookie

Like rwyatt85 said, use fishing line between the scoops and the car,
Then use either WD40 or Goo Gone with a heat gun. You will need to wax the area afterwards, won't hurt the paint but will remove any wax.

If you don't feel comfortable using chemicals I also have taken off the 3M double sided tape by rolling it against itself with a little heat and comes right off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page