GT Road Trip finish and Pics - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

GT Road Trip finish and Pics

FINALLY, got the camera in the car at the same time as the "golden hour" just before sunset... unfortunately, it was in the middle of the desert - visually about as unexciting as could be, but the light was as good as it was gonna get... will see if I can get out to Red Rock and get some pics there.

Put 1500 miles on the car over the weekend, and became convinced that the Mustang is one of the best automotive values to be had...

16ish hours of driving, vast majority of it at 75-80 mph. 24-26 mpg - better than I expected with the 3.73 gearing and the friction of new moving parts.
  • Fantastic performance!
  • Busy but comfortable ride
  • Road noise on rough pavement, but whisper quiet on smooth asphalt.
  • Passing is NEVER an issue.. With the 3.73 gears in 6th gear, just press down and GO...
  • Smooth, responsive steering - like its on rails except in gusty crosswinds*
  • Solid and predictable in the corners, but requires being ready to unload it and maybe stab the accelerator if the rear end starts to get loose.
  • Occasional "clunk" from rear end (RH side?) sounded like a U joint going bad - trying to sort that out...
  • NAV system is clearly more a blessing than a curse, but it generated some truly comical moments... Selecting the Fuel Prices screen for "Best Price" gave me a Valero station in Barstow, and the NAV confidently guided me to the middle of a sparsely settled residential area about a mile from the actual station location... :laughlitt It would be cool to have Google Earth overlays for the NAV maps to see the area into which you're drivng.
  • Discovered that the "Distance remaining till empty" figure is 30+ miles conservative (probably to avoid lawsuits). Leaving for Vegas, the Distance Till Empty left me 40 miles short. On arrival in Vegas, I did an actual fuel burn check that indicated I could have made the 397 miles from door to door with about .8 gallons to spare... Could likely do it comfortably at 65 instead of 75.
* Had an extended stretch of 30+ mph gusty crosswinds approaching Barstow, and the "electro-steering" behaved strangely... the combination of strong gusts and passing downwind of the 18 wheelers seemed to confuse the steering... nothing unsafe, but it was twitchier than than direct or power steering under the same conditions.. System couldn't seem to make up its mind how to handle the situation.

Overall the drive is on my short list of best trips I've taken. Right up there with driving my new Camaro across the country decades ago.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustaing 5 crop.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	128701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang 1 crop.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	128702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang 7 crop.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	128703  

Jim

Murphy was an optimist.

2011 GT Premium, Sterling Gray, 401A, 6MT, 3.73, 19" Brembo, Nav, Security, HID, Rear video, Boss 302 mufflers, Raxiom smoked taillights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011
Banned

Great read. Thanks!

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011
PONY Member

+1,,great intel,,sounds like a great drive too!

2012 GT Premium, BLACK,401A blk/cashmere,3.73,Brembos,Glass Roof,Hood scoop,ped spoiler,C/S dark stainless grill/C/S lower fascia with fogs
Ordered 1/3/11, Vin 4/7/11,Built 4/25/11,Delivered 5/13/11

MODS: ROUSH axlebacks, ROUSH interior trim,ROUSH illuminated door sills,ROUSH CAI, smoked tail, marker lights,decklid blackout, AM louvers,35% tint, Barton short throw shifter/bracket.iTSX tuner with BAMA 93 tune

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011
Apprentice

Really nice writeup of how the car behaves. Sounds like that was a fantastic trip. I'm waiting on my V6 and am hoping by some miracle it gets here in time for my 450 mile trip to the Outer Banks

2012 Ingot Silver V6 Premium AT
Pony Package
CS black billet grille? Not for $512...
Ordered 4/14/2011... VIN 4/30... Build date 5/06... In transit 5/09... ETA 5/20... Arrived 5/12!
Airraid CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page