Ford Mustang Forum banner

New Stereo Install - Metra Dash Kit/Avic-110BT

22K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  blowndeadline 
#1 ·
Hello folks, I'd like to relay my experience today having a buddy of mine install a new head unit in my 2011 GT to replace the base stereo. (non shaker/no nav/no sync) We used the Metra Dash kit Metra Online | Metra Part # 99-5823CH | Ford Mustang Dash kit and a Pioneer Avic-110BT (upgraded to Avic 130 via firmware) He is an experienced installer but had not yet worked on a new Mustang. We were both surprised at how easy the removal and installation was. I think the only time he needed tools was to screw out the old unit and screw in the new one. Total install time was around an hour taking it slow. He could probably do it again in 15 minutes.

I am still running the stock speakers, which show a dramatic improvement in sound quality while being driven by the Pioneer head unit. I was shocked at how much better they sounded. That said, I have 2 pair of Alpine speakers and a 10" amplified Bazooka tube on order. I will follow up with how well that goes next week, hopefully.

The Metra kit makes for a very nice, clean install. It is a big improvement over the base factory unit with it's hordes of unnecessary and oversized buttons. All climate control buttons are available and it works really well. Looks like a factory install.

Stock Stereo:

Stereo Removed:

New Stereo:

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks good. Thanks for posting. I'm wanting to do the same thing.

-J

#5 ·
It says "Sync interface sold separately" on their site...

#6 ·
Looks great!!! So what does your top LCD show? You know, because you have no sync and the Pioneer displays all it's stuff on it's own display.....

I would really like to do one of these kits, but with the sync adapter and all that jazz, it gets really expensive really fast.

#7 ·
Looks great!!! So what does your top LCD show? You know, because you have no sync and the Pioneer displays all it's stuff on it's own display.....
That top LCD shows all climate control functions, controlled by the buttons right below it. Also, the text is customizable, Mustang was in by default. As soon as I figure out how to do it, I am going to clear that and leave it blank. The contrast is adjustable and was easy to read on a bright day. The the background color is also adjustable, although in bright sunlight it will always wash out and appear green. I tried to take a few pics to show a bit more detail:

#12 ·
Honestly, I think it might be a touch lighter, but I'm not 100% sure. In person looks better than those pictures.

this is the one i plan on going with

SEMA 2010: Scosche debuts dash kit for the 2010+ Mustang | Mustangs Daily

i saw the metra one you used, and i didn't think it would look very good installed, but i'm quiet surprised at how well it turned out. i don't really car for the cheap looking lcd screen they used for the heating and cooling system, i like this scosche one a bit better. looks more modern
I like the looks of the Scosche too. Problem is, they have been promising it for quite some time now and who knows when it will actually be available. When they get around to releasing it I will check them out.

#11 ·
this is the one i plan on going with

SEMA 2010: Scosche debuts dash kit for the 2010+ Mustang | Mustangs Daily

i saw the metra one you used, and i didn't think it would look very good installed, but i'm quiet surprised at how well it turned out. i don't really car for the cheap looking lcd screen they used for the heating and cooling system, i like this scosche one a bit better. looks more modern

#23 ·
Damn that scosche kit looks RAD! Will definately be looking into that. I wonder if they plan on releasing a single DIN conversion to use a regular sized cd player instead of the big screen. I'd rather have that with a storage cubby area below.

#27 ·
I know this board is really old now, but I'll assume there are wires that have to be connected to the dash kit for the climate control system?
http://www.scosche.com/ecom/download/FD1441B_SglPg.pdf

There's the installation guide from their website, appears to be as simple as unplugging and plugging in harnesses...no messing with individual wires.

Fastredponycar--Since this thread is so old, I'm sure you've found your answer...if you're even around here still...but that link also shows instructions for installing a single din radio and putting in a cubby :bigthumbsup

edit:

Forgot to add, that it still shows as "coming soon" on their website...that's pretty disappointing.

#25 ·
Metra dash kit 2011 base GT

Anyone know if there is a Min/Max screen size for a double din unit that fits the metra kit? having no luck researching online and don't want to buy something that won't fit. Looking a units with GPS and they all seem to start at 6.1".

thanks...

#28 ·
My Mustang came with the shaker 500 system as well as sync. I don't have climate control, just your basic temp, fan and vent buttons. Does this convert it to the touch screen or does the car have to have the actual comfort package from ford? Sorry, just not alot of details on this subject1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.