Potential V6 buyer on the fence due to transmission... - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKim View Post
"rough and tough"

What does that mean? It grinds? It jerks when put in gear? I know there is a difference between a "smooth" transmission like a focus manual which is so numb, but I don't think I'd want any transmission described by rough.

Having driven a Civic Si, I'd say the transmission is actually pretty good.
Its notchy at low RPMs, no two ways about it. When I push the clutch in on the 1-2 shift at 1900 RPM in town, I can hear the drive train backlash out my open windows as 2nd gear is synchronized and the shifter makes the most obvious two step process out of the event.

On the plus side, at performance driving RPM shifting speed between adjacent gears really is limited only by how fast you can move your limbs.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740weapon View Post
Its notchy at low RPMs, no two ways about it. When I push the clutch in on the 1-2 shift at 1900 RPM in town, I can hear the drive train backlash out my open windows as 2nd gear is synchronized and the shifter makes the most obvious two step process out of the event.

On the plus side, at performance driving RPM shifting speed between adjacent gears really is limited only by how fast you can move your limbs.
This is very true. Based on personal experience and many quotes I've seen, driving the stick like you stole it seems to improve the experience immensely versus babying it.

I drove all 4 tranny/engine combos before settling on a stick V8. I wasn't happy with the auto's responsiveness in non-straight line driving, though I'm told with a tune that it's improved a bit. In my car shopping I did drive a Pontiac G8 with the sport-automatic. In addition to it's auto-stick mode, it has a sport mode that really was quite good at holding gears and shifting in performance oriented on/off throttle situations, maintaining maybe 90% of the fun of a stick with all of the convenience of the auto. If Ford had a similar setup in the Mustang, I'd have absolutely opted for that, since it would mean no worries when my wife (who's only driven autos) needs to switch cars with me, and less pain for all the times I end up in obnoxious traffic.

PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

I am very very close to getting an Ingot Silver Performance Package 2012, even after reading the threads out there. I love this body style Mustang. I want to get a NEW car. I will NOT buy an automatic. If there was no option for a manual transmission, I probably wouldn't be after the car I am looking at.

From my test drive, I had no complaints about the actual shifting on the transmission. The only thing that stood out to me was 1. the clutch has less travel than most of the rides I've driven in the past and 2. the left and right shifting is VERY short compared to my previous rides (also back and forth is not as short, which is going to need some getting used to).

When I was rowing through the gears quicker, I felt at home. I typically do not shift slow. If this transmission likes faster shifts. AWESOME!

From my research and observations, a shifter and rear supprort will greatly enhance shifting of this transmission. I am really looking forward to MGWs assembly because I think it will greatly address more of the issues and make this transmission more enjoyable.

2012 Ingot Silver Mustang - 3.7L V6, Performance Package (traded)
2012 HP White Mustang GT - 5.0L, Premium, 3.73 rear end

J Orbit

So, since the MT82 is also in the Focus based TransitConnect then it by proxy is a muscle car as well? All whopping 160hp of deisel fury!?!?

When my car first started acting up I considered that it was probably just a heavy duty transmission and the rough shifting was a by-product of that then I started seeing all the pics people posted of toothless gears and beat up shift forks. Those guys were experiencing the same notchyness we all feel. That leads me to believe that most of us with problems probably have internal damage as well.
GT Member

Then go buy a V6 Camaro or Dodge Charger...

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
GT Member

As a lifelong lover of manual, I have to say I have no regrets getting the auto (only been driving it for a week). Playing around with dropping it into 3rd is becoming addictive, and watching and hearing the rpms shoot to 5k wear all that power is. I can even live with the very brief throttle lag after flooring the go pedal (a tune will fix that but i might even pass on that). All in all, a good choice as a daily driver, and probably a more reliable setup as well.

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

PONY Member

I'll have about 10,000 miles on mine in a week or two and I've driven it from 20F weather in Michigan to high 90's in Texas, and the new manual transmission is honestly a LOT better than the manual from my '05 GT and my '08 GT CS.

Ever since I dumped the 1st 2005 Mustang automatic (Probably the biggest mistake I ever made, buying an automatic!), I've been a happy camper.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
Then go buy a V6 Camaro or Dodge Charger...
Insightful post. I like the part where you contributed something useful to this thread.

Go on.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnamover View Post
65% of the GT Coupes are manual. 39% overall are manuals.

http://v6mustangperformance.com/wp-c...-breakdown.pdf
Did I miss something or didn't the OP say he was buying a V6?

I get your point though. Still, to not be concerned or at least aware after reading about this problem here, Jalopnik, etc. would be foolish.

2011 GT Premium | Grabber Blue | Roush Phase 2 Supercharger Kit with Tuning by VMP
PONY Member

I have some of these "issues."

It's pretty notchy from 1st through 3rd. It sometimes grinds going into 3rd and 5th (seemingly random). I've been locked out of 4th when downshifting from 5th a few times (random). My 2nd gear doesn't hook up well, I have to really slip it or it bucks like a wild bull.

Anyways, I'm used to most of it now. I just shift harder and faster in the lower gears and force it through the notchiness. No problemo.

If Ford releases a TSB, great, I'm already in their system. If not, ehh.. I have the extended warranty and it's getting traded in in 2015 so I'm covered.

Basically, don't worry about it. Buy it if you want the car.

2011 V6 PP -> 2012 5.0
SHELBY GT 350 Member

considering cancelling-YES

I have a 2012 V6 performance pack on order and I'm thinking about cancelling. I realise most trannys are ok, but the percentage that have issues is rather high. I will also add that I've owned Hondas and thought they shifted GREAT! A gem of a sewing machine engine, not gobs of power but it would go. If I end up not cancelling my order I'll be overjoyed if it shifts like a Honda. As far as automatics go, If you want the fun of a manual get one. Just hope you get a good one.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyM View Post
I have some of these "issues."

It's pretty notchy from 1st through 3rd. It sometimes grinds going into 3rd and 5th (seemingly random). I've been locked out of 4th when downshifting from 5th a few times (random). My 2nd gear doesn't hook up well, I have to really slip it or it bucks like a wild bull.

Anyways, I'm used to most of it now. I just shift harder and faster in the lower gears and force it through the notchiness. No problemo.

If Ford releases a TSB, great, I'm already in their system. If not, ehh.. I have the extended warranty and it's getting traded in in 2015 so I'm covered.

Basically, don't worry about it. Buy it if you want the car.
Hi JimmyM,

I still recommend you bring your vehicle in to your Ford dealer for diagnosis. This can also help with the fix of future and present vehicles. If you need further help, please do not hesitate to message me.

Deysha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page