mirror cover problems - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Man I wish I had the answer. It seems AM has a mold issue with the right side mirror cover and it appears the problem is two fold. BlackPenguin says his don't fit due to shape and distortion. Mine is due to what I feel is improper design of the passenger lower lock tab (and betting on some distortion too). Mustangholt says there is extra material or an extra tab. Not sure what that is though.

My evaluation is visual only so whether it would work is my best guess. It sure looks like the problem might be solved with removing the interference but I don't want to risk ending up with $99 of scrap plastic. I will be happy getting my car back to normal and let AM sort this out. At this point replacing both OEM covers will hit me for $65 and then whatever it costs to ship the defects back. I found the passenger side loose so must replace it too.

I am quitting while I am ahead and my mirror assemblies are still ok. With the force required to remove the originals and then needing to almost beat the new ones on .. just too much risk. I bought mine based on the site reviews and don't understand how theirs were so good and ours are such a problem. I also think the "easy" install is misleading too. You must pry your old covers off and in the process damage them and then almost beat the new ones on.

2008 Shelby GT500 Torch Red / Black - FRP Stingers, Factory Nav, Ambient lighting, HID, Leather Upgrade Package, Seq Tail Lights, Etc..

2011 V6 MCA Edition Ingot Silver / Stone (1 of 6) - Traded

2011 5.0 Grabber Blue GT/CS (1 of 18) - Hers - Auto, Shaker 1000, HID, Comfort and Secuity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirVenture View Post
Male sure to leave reviews on AM to reflect this because right now it's got 5-stars.
i have twice and niether has shown up

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
PONY Member

Just FYI for people that may be researching mirror covers, I just got my DG Aero mirror cover/skull cap. They look amazing, and best of all it took no more than 5 minutes to get them installed. Shipping from PartsCheap took a couple of weeks, but they're $20 cheaper than anybody else.

2010-2012 Mustang Painted Mirror Caps

2011 V6 Base Grabber Blue GBMR #082
DG Custom Side Mirrors, Tri-bar Fender Emblems, MCA Grille, Magnaflow Street Axleback, Strut Tower Brace, AM GT500 Wheels, Bama Tuned 93Race

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Just FYI for people that may be researching mirror covers, I just got my DG Aero mirror cover/skull cap. They look amazing, and best of all it took no more than 5 minutes to get them installed. Shipping from PartsCheap took a couple of weeks, but they're $20 cheaper than anybody else.

2010-2012 Mustang Painted Mirror Caps
but do they fit? i got mine for 99 at AM so its not really cheaper than anyone else.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpenguin69 View Post
but do they fit? i got mine for 99 at AM so its not really cheaper than anyone else.
Yup, perfectly.

2011 V6 Base Grabber Blue GBMR #082
DG Custom Side Mirrors, Tri-bar Fender Emblems, MCA Grille, Magnaflow Street Axleback, Strut Tower Brace, AM GT500 Wheels, Bama Tuned 93Race
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Yup, perfectly.
well good to know. i shouldve gotten it from them to begin with. thats how i got AM to come down on the price lol. i showed them the dg customs price..

Beast3.7

Chris @ AM: any update on the right side mirror covers? I am hoping to get mine replaced as soon as you guys find out what the issue is.
BOSS Member

I'm terribly sorry to hear that you guys have been having problems with the mirror covers.

Please give me some time to bring this to the attention of painting department/parts experts to see if there is something that has to be done with the molding.

At this point, with how many we sell of these it's possible you got some from a bad mold, because we rarely have returns or issues with these, but I will do my best to get an answer ASAP for everyone

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Rookie

I ordered my painted mirror covers from Ninosport.com, I was a little worried about the issues i heard about the fit of some aftermarket covers. Upon arrival I looked and saw that the covers they sent me were the Ford OEM covers. Another plus for them was they offered Lava Red paint, which a good number of places don't have as an option. They fit perfectly!

2012 V6, Auto, MCA, Lava Red, Lava Red Int, Comfort, Security Packages, HIDs, Rear Camera.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Had the same problem with the AM mirror covers, may go with DG's eventually. So far not very comfortable with ordering mirror covers now, scared i was going to break a clip in the removal/instal process.

Beast3.7

Chris has promised to make it right, so I'd rather not spend another $100 that can go to other mods from AM:smilie.
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasswild View Post
Chris has promised to make it right, so I'd rather not spend another $100 that can go to other mods from AM:smilie.

I've been working on it!

It seems like it was a mold problem, but that issue is being addressed and the next set should be devoid of any further fitment woes

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page