That time of year again....HOT shifter - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

That time of year again....HOT shifter

Temps have been in the 90s and the sun has been out. Yesterday the shifter (metal one) was hot as *$&#**@#*#@.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

get a different handle for the summer...the leather ones are nice, I have my OEM on my Cobra/pro 5.0...never a problem even in Florida...also it helps to put one of those foldup windshield shades on your windshield when parked...and of course you have to have tinted windows here in FL...go Wings, but better yet GO BOLTS!

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
get a different handle for the summer...the leather ones are nice, I have my OEM on my Cobra/pro 5.0...never a problem even in Florida...also it helps to put one of those foldup windshield shades on your windshield when parked...and of course you have to have tinted windows here in FL...go Wings, but better yet GO BOLTS!
I was thinking about a new one for the summer. Not sure what adapters, etc. I need from Grabber Pony. Any insight form anyone? I have the 401a package.

I have a sun shade that I use all summer.

And I was pulling for the Bolts once the Wings were knocked out. Now I don't know what to do.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011
Apprentice

I have the metal ball shift knob on my '10, and last summer I started keeping a rolled-up sock in the center console to slip over the shifter when it gets too hot Sounds silly, but it helps. My car is rarely parked outside during the day long enough for it to be a regular issue, though.

2010 Mustang GT Premium
Black on Black w/ Track Pack
Flowmaster AT Classics

Last edited by TXStang10; 05-31-2011 at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings View Post
I was thinking about a new one for the summer. Not sure what adapters, etc. I need from Grabber Pony. Any insight form anyone? I have the 401a package.

I have a sun shade that I use all summer.

And I was pulling for the Bolts once the Wings were knocked out. Now I don't know what to do.
I highly recommend a new shifter from GrabberPony, I absolutely love mine and while the adapter gets hot, the knob itself doesn't at all. I'm not sure which adapter you need, I have a stock bare bones 3.7 and the standard adapter fit flawlessly.

Current - 2013 Charger R/T Plus - 5.7L Hemi | Heated/Ventilated Seats | Heated/Cooled Cup Holders | 8.9 Inch Touch Screen | Electronic Adjustable Pedals | Full Memory Control Push Button EKF | Debating Exhaust.

Past - 2011 Mustang 3.7, Kona Blue, 6MT - | FRPP Sport Exhaust | Airaid CAI | OEM Black Leather | Boss302 Steering Wheel | Stack Racing Chrome Tower Brace | GrabberPony Custom Shift Knob | Rear Black Out Panel | Auto Headlights | 15% Tint All Around |
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011
PONY Member

Also have the 401A package on my GT. Went with a GrabberPony knob because it doesn't get hot, and you can customize it to look any way you want. Since I have black interior, I got a black knob with grabber blue graphics to match the stripe on my seats.

2011 GT Premium 6M convertible. Sterling Gray w/401A package, charcoal seats w/grabber blue stripe. Security package. Roush front fascia, splitter and rear wing. Black bullit wheels with 18x9 front, 18x10 rear. FRPP suspension. FRPP x-pipe. Roush axle-back exhaust w/square tips. JLT carbon fiber CAI with custom tune. Carbon fiber engine cover & coil pack covers.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryk View Post
Also have the 401A package on my GT. Went with a GrabberPony knob because it doesn't get hot, and you can customize it to look any way you want. Since I have black interior, I got a black knob with grabber blue graphics to match the stripe on my seats.
What adapter did you have to get?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My shifter isn't too bad, but the aluminum on my steering wheel sure gets hot. When I have to park outside I use a covercraft sun shade, and even though the sun never touches the steering wheel, the aluminum parts seem to absorb a lot of heat from the ambient temperature inside.

We're looking at 90+ here in Charlotte from now until end of August...maybe it's time to get some gloves!

2011 GT Coupe Premium | MT82 | 3.55's | 400A | Red Candy/Stone | Security Pkg | Built 7/21
Installed: SVT Axelbacks w/ res delete, FRPP tune, K&N drop-in, strut tower brace, JLT oil catch can, PIAA/LEDs, GT500 splashguards, 27% tint

Sold: Rebuilt 1994 Mustang | Motorsports 5.8L/351W | HD 5M | DF clutch | 9" rear end 3.73s | Cobra 'R' brakes | aluminum driveshaft | street legal in SC (barely)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011
GT Member

Wow, I'm glad I got the non metal shifter handle. It was 105 on Saturday and it never even got warm.

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Nobody can tell me what the right adapter I need from Grabber Pony for the 401a interior package?
Apprentice

12MM x 1.25 from GrabberPony... comes in polished/frosted or black depending on what knob you're ordering so you can match it up or whatever YOU like. I got the old school retro WHITE knob with black adapter. Looks awesome.

GrabberPony.com - Shift Knobs in Mustang Colors (Powered by CubeCart)

mine looks like the one pictured here. (Except I have saddle int)

2012 GT - 6 SPD -Silver - Saddle - Brembo - 3.73 - HID - SP -
Ordered - 03/14/11
Delivered - 05/25/11

Last edited by Hood1964; 05-31-2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: adding
Apprentice

^^^WRONG

The 401 a package takes the .75 inch adapter.

The stock boot and the 402a CS boot take the larger 1.25.

2011 Grabber Blue GT/CS 6MT | 3.73 | HID | Security
-Roush AB, Grabberpony Grabber Blue shift knob, DG Customs quarter window louvers, stripes removed & 5.0 emblems added

375 rwhp / 361 rwtq - stock

Delivered 3/29/11
Apprentice
S197 Member

I've got an aluminum T-Handle. I just put my ball cap over it to keep the heat off!

Diggerpine

2011 5.0 GT Coupe/Kona Blue/6-Spd Manual/3.73 ...
GT-500 Touring Axle-Backs/DG Window Louvers/CDC Shaker Hood Intake/Hurst Billet + Shifter/Custom Hood Spear Stripes/Redline Hood Struts/GT-500 Injectors/Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Supercharger/ Eaton Detroit Truetrac Diff/FRRP 3.73s', D/R Aluminum Diff. Cover...

The Fun!...depends on my right foot...
J Orbit

Metallic shift knobs in cars are just about the dumbest idea ever.
They're too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer and the reflective ones can blind you.

My last 2 honda 6-speeds had a leather/metal knob and I vowed to never have another one in a car. Sure, they look pretty cool but they fail hard in everyday use.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood1964 View Post
12MM x 1.25 from GrabberPony... comes in polished/frosted or black depending on what knob you're ordering so you can match it up or whatever YOU like. I got the old school retro WHITE knob with black adapter. Looks awesome.

GrabberPony.com - Shift Knobs in Mustang Colors (Powered by CubeCart)

mine looks like the one pictured here. (Except I have saddle int)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Tail View Post
^^^WRONG

The 401 a package takes the .75 inch adapter.

The stock boot and the 402a CS boot take the larger 1.25.
Grabber Tail is correct. I sent an email to Grabber Pony and this is what I received back:

Quote:
Hello RedWings,

I have attached a photo to this email that should help you determine which adapter you need. With the 401A interior it is most likely that you will need our .75" Bullitt Style adapter. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you!

GrabberPony.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page