Odd question... Summer footwear for manual transmission driving? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Question Odd question... Summer footwear for manual transmission driving?

I love wearing sandals in the summer... but I've got an MT now and I know it's not good to drive with them on.

Can anyone suggest sandal-like shoes that are suitable for driving? Preferably, something that I can slip on and off relatively easily and are airy enough to wear without socks.

Thanks in advance.

Jordan
2011 Mustang V6 M6 Pony Package with:
Kona Blue paint and tape stripe delete
Saddle Interior - Sync, Shaker 500, HID Headlights, Active Security System, Backup Camera, 3.31 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011
GT Member
V6 Member

I have no issues driving mine w/ flip flops. The clutch pedal is incredibly light.

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bravo View Post
Can anyone suggest sandal-like shoes that are suitable for driving? Preferably, something that I can slip on and off relatively easily and are airy enough to wear without socks.
Running shoes with velcro like little kids wear.

Seriously, proper footwear especially driving a manual is important; you don't want to have your foot slip off the clutch while you're at a light; you'll pop right into the guy in front of you. If what you're wearing is loose enough to slip on then they're loose enough to slide around on you while you're driving.

I just keep my sandals in the trunk and change into them when I reach my destination.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky View Post
Running shoes with velcro like little kids wear.

Seriously, proper footwear especially driving a manual is important; you don't want to have your foot slip off the clutch while you're at a light; you'll pop right into the guy in front of you. If what you're wearing is loose enough to slip on then they're loose enough to slide around on you while you're driving.

I just keep my sandals in the trunk and change into them when I reach my destination.
Who you kiddin', you guys don't even get summer. Don't you have to wear mukluks and dress like this all the time?

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011
Apprentice

I've never had a flip-flop slide off my foot or the clutch, but then again I have that reef-kind with the sticky rubber and it forms to my foot. They're like 35 bucks but they last 2 years of heavy Texas wear on average - perhaps the best of both worlds for you?

Also, there's a bottle-opener on the bottom and they float if you're still in the college mentality. Sue me :kooky:. Otherwise, a very-loosely tied pair of 'driving shoes' (Pumas, etc) might suit you, but I'd recommend socks. Easy-on, easy-off, and the bottoms are oil-slip resistant if you step in something at the gas station. My 2c.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011
GT Member
V6 Member

Oddly enough I have never had an issue w/ driving sticks in anything up 'till now. Driving w/ my leather soled dress/work shoes in this car is tricky because the pedals aren't rubber, they're aluminum w/ rubber stips. The leather soled shoes act more slippery than my flip flops.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammergjh View Post
Who you kiddin', you guys don't even get summer. Don't you have to wear mukluks and dress like this all the time?
lol Where I grew up in Canada is actually more south than you and I'm less than 50 miles north of you now.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member

Boat shoes or shoes like Toms are breezy and actually stay on your feet.

I always catch flip flops on the side of the pedal when taking it off the foot rest.

2012 V6 Premium 6MT|Kona Blue|Performance Package|Comfort|201A Rapid Spec
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jsnyng
I love my Vibram Five Fingers KSO's.

2011 Mustang GT Premium
My Mods --> jsnyng.net
Apprentice

first of all guy in the last post - yikes

I wear my sperry top-siders (boat shoes) all the time and they're not only great for shifting but wide and good for heal-toe

plus girls like the preppy look

and whatever you do, don't wear socks

2011 Mustang GT Premium Kona Blue 401A Brembo 3.73 Glass Roof HID Security Pkg Comfort Pkg Electronics Pkg Rearview Cam
2011 SVTPP 19" wheels Airaid CAI SynthaMax BBR billet antenna BOSS steering wheel Roush axle-back

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jsnyng
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0eric View Post

I wear my sperry top-siders (boat shoes) all the time and they're not only great for shifting but wide and good for heal-toe

Those shoes rock. I've got a couple of pairs in various configurations. At first my wife would walk several feet behind me just to watch the looks on people's faces, but now she has a pair of them, too.

P.S. Those aren't my legs with the tattoo in that picture.

2011 Mustang GT Premium
My Mods --> jsnyng.net
PONY Member

I wear Soloman water shoes with or without socks,,,they are super vented made for water but are nice in the summer cuz they are cooler.

2012 GT Premium, BLACK,401A blk/cashmere,3.73,Brembos,Glass Roof,Hood scoop,ped spoiler,C/S dark stainless grill/C/S lower fascia with fogs
Ordered 1/3/11, Vin 4/7/11,Built 4/25/11,Delivered 5/13/11

MODS: ROUSH axlebacks, ROUSH interior trim,ROUSH illuminated door sills,ROUSH CAI, smoked tail, marker lights,decklid blackout, AM louvers,35% tint, Barton short throw shifter/bracket.iTSX tuner with BAMA 93 tune
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Hilarious! Oh that never gets old... oh wait yes it does...

BTW hammergjh, I'm heading to Cape Cod at the end of the month, with a day-trip planned for Boston. I was there a couple of years ago and did most of the tourist stuff (Duckboat, Freedom Trail, etc.) Any suggestions on some other stuff to do? We didn't get a chance to see Harvard or Cambridge, so we'll probably check those out this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky View Post
... I just keep my sandals in the trunk and change into them when I reach my destination.
Yeah, that's what I've been doing too, but I was hoping for a better compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser_Soze View Post
I've never had a flip-flop slide off my foot or the clutch, but then again I have that reef-kind with the sticky rubber and it forms to my foot. They're like 35 bucks but they last 2 years of heavy Texas wear on average - perhaps the best of both worlds for you?

Also, there's a bottle-opener on the bottom and they float if you're still in the college mentality. Sue me :kooky:. Otherwise, a very-loosely tied pair of 'driving shoes' (Pumas, etc) might suit you, but I'd recommend socks. Easy-on, easy-off, and the bottoms are oil-slip resistant if you step in something at the gas station. My 2c.
Sounds interesting, I'll take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnyng View Post
I love my Vibram Five Fingers KSO's.
Hmmmm... dunno about those...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0eric View Post

I'll check those out too.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, keep'em coming if you've got more.

Jordan
Saddle Interior - Sync, Shaker 500, HID Headlights, Active Security System, Backup Camera, 3.31 gears
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bravo View Post
Hilarious! Oh that never gets old... oh wait yes it does...

BTW hammergjh, I'm heading to Cape Cod at the end of the month, with a day-trip planned for Boston. I was there a couple of years ago and did most of the tourist stuff (Duckboat, Freedom Trail, etc.) Any suggestions on some other stuff to do? We didn't get a chance to see Harvard or Cambridge, so we'll probably check those out this time.
Cool beans man. Cambridge is pretty cool, up and down Mass Ave thru Harvard Sq has tons of shops and retaurants. I recommend also checking out The North End for amazing Italian food and Chinatown for great cheap Asian eats. Also, the Newbury St area has lots of higher end shops plus try to catch a Sox game at Fenway. I went last night. They lost.

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Cool beans man. Cambridge is pretty cool, up and down Mass Ave thru Harvard Sq has tons of shops and retaurants. I recommend also checking out The North End for amazing Italian food and Chinatown for great cheap Asian eats. Also, the Newbury St area has lots of higher end shops plus try to catch a Sox game at Fenway. I went last night. They lost.
Okay, sounds good. We'll only be there for the day (ferry leaves at 6:30pm back to the Cape), so expect we'll just have lunch. Can you recommended a restaurant in the Faneuil Hall area?

Yeah I was hoping to catch a Red Sox game, but they are away that week.

Jordan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page