JLT CAI on my V6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member

JLT CAI on my V6

So yea, I bought the JLT CAI yesterday, it arrived at my house today, and I installed today as well. I took it out for about a 30 mile drive.... I LOVE IT! It compliments my borlas very well and I havent even tuned the stang. I give it a 4.5/5.... but for a reason. Since I have an Auto transmission, I had to drill a 3/4 inch hole into the induction tube to allow a, extra piece to allow an extra hose to connect to the tube (No idea why Ford made this tube...), Had my dad help with the drilling (hole came out better than JLT's other two holes haha), then I fit the grommit right into the new opening, there was a little dimple on the induction tube though to help show exactly where I needed to drill which made it easier, just so you Auto tranny users know in advance. Overall install time was about 30 minutes minus the drilling, very simple install, I again have no mechanical experience. The sound is great, very throaty, and I noticed a more responsive throttle from the drive I took. JLT states no computer retune is required on the V6 model but my friend told me his 07 stang (has a bbk CAI) eventually had its CE light on, so he had to tune it to remove the codes which were because of his CAI. He thinks the same will happen to me, although I have restarted the car about 5 times since I installed it and still nothing.

Overall again I recommend this CAI to any V6 owner who wants the best looking, best performing, and easiest install minus the drilling (still fairly simple). Im in love with the throaty sound at 5500 rpm+

But back to MY concern on MY stang... anyone think the car will lean too much?? Should I tune it to avoid it overall? Or just wait and see if the light goes on? Anyone have any ideas??

2011 Black V6 Premium MCA Edition | Charcoal Int. | Carbon Fiber Dash
Rapid Spec 203A (MCA)
3.31 Gears|Comfort Package|HIDs|Security Package
Mods:
Tinted Signals|20% Tint AA|Borla ATAK Cat-Backs|JLT CAI|BAMA 89P Tune|Alpine Type-R Two Ways (Doors/Rear Deck)|Kicker CVR 12|Kicker DX500.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011
MACH I Member

Bama's test results of the JLT CAI start at about 5 minutes into the clip. Note how closely JLT's CAI"s fuel air mixture is compared with the stock airbox. You be fine without a tune, or until you decide to go with one. I have a tune & CAI and believe there is a definite benefit in having both.

YouTube - ‪2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 - Cold Air Intake & Bama Custom Tune Dyno Results‬‏

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

You won't need a tune for the JLT.

But, a tune will do wonders for the performance of the car, especially the way the transmission will work after the tune.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011
2011fastford

Smile

I believe the jlt is a no tune required cai, I have the airaid and it was great but when I tuned the car overall performance improved. I wouldn't worry about your check engine light though you should be fine
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011
Beast3.7

I've run my JLT with and without a tune and never thrown any codes. I agree that a tune with a CAI makes even more of a difference. Smooths out the power band too.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member

yea, I think im gonna try and work out a deal with my dealer seeing if they can put something in writing that they wont screw me over for warranty work if I put the tune on (I've heard of people doing it before believe it or not, as a matter of fact a customer with a V8 at my exact dealer one town over from me), If they ok me, Ill def. buy the tuner hands down. And I no it says theres no tune required Im just sayin I thought the car MAY lean a little and throw a code, It hasnt yet though So I guess it wont.

2011 Black V6 Premium MCA Edition | Charcoal Int. | Carbon Fiber Dash
Rapid Spec 203A (MCA)
3.31 Gears|Comfort Package|HIDs|Security Package
Mods:
Tinted Signals|20% Tint AA|Borla ATAK Cat-Backs|JLT CAI|BAMA 89P Tune|Alpine Type-R Two Ways (Doors/Rear Deck)|Kicker CVR 12|Kicker DX500.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page