The horse is out of the barn - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The horse is out of the barn

First wash and wax of my new toy, so I snapped a photo of my 2011 Race Red GT.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011
BOSS Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Rockin' Blue's
Looks great

[LEFT]"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government " Thomas Jefferson

There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
( Outlaw Josey Wales )

My Ride : " Buster " 2007 Vista Blue GT
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011
PONY Member

Outstanding! Great to see that 5.0 badge again!

" If you can't find 'em, grind 'em! They ain't made of rubber! "

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011
MACH I Member

Very pretty vert. Congrats!

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011
Rookie

Nice, looks fantastic.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011
Rookie

What did you use to get that good shine?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear60 View Post
What did you use to get that good shine?
Clay bar, then Meguiar's ultimate polish followed by Ultimate wax, both applied with DA. First time using the ultimate line. Found the wax removal on the red a bit difficult.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011
Rookie

Thanks. Looks great.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011
Rookie

Nice!

2012 Ingot Silver GT Premium MT82 with Grabber Blue 401A package, Brembo package, coupe accessory package 4, electronics package, comfort package & 3.73 gears; Mods: Flowmaster A/T axle back, Roush extreme springs, Roush side splitters, BOSS coil covers, OEM decklid trim panel, Grabber Pony shift knob, BBR shorty antenna & Lloyd GT floormats

Ordered: 4/21/11, VIN: 5/19/11, Window Sticker: 6/3/11, Build Date: 6/9/11, ETA: 6/24/11, Delivered: 6/23/11
PONY Member
V6 Member

Very Nice!
How hard was the clay bar application? I am thinking of doing it on my Kona Blue pony, do I need a full day for the clay bar? Thanks...

-Baru

Ordered (7-12-2010), Brought Home (9-14-2010): V-6 Kona Blue, Pony Pkg 202A, Stone Leather, 6-Speed Manual Trans MT82, White Tape, Comfort Pkg, Rear Video Cam.

Mods: Grabber Pony Shift Knob (Kona Blue), Clear Bra - 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film,
Window Tint - Llumar ATC, White Hood Spears - Graphic Express Stripes & Decals
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baru-643 View Post
Very Nice!
How hard was the clay bar application? I am thinking of doing it on my Kona Blue pony, do I need a full day for the clay bar? Thanks...
Not hard at all. Particularly on a new car. Took maybe 30 minutes.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baru-643 View Post
Very Nice!
My experience with clay bar is limited to my last three new vehicles, but it doesn't take a full day, but it does take some time if done correctly. Here's what I do (not that I'm a professional detail guy or anything, but it works for me):

1. Wash car with Dawn dish washing liquid (small amount in warm warter). This will help remove the dirt and, more importantly, reduce the wax if there is any.

2. Clay bar with a decent kit. I used Turtle Wax Ice the last time and it worked well. The key here is to work in small sections; I take a panel/section at a time. On a new car this will be fairly quick as you shouldn't have too much build-up over the clear-coat. Remember to knead the bar as it gets dirty. If you drop it on the ground--throw it away. The clay will pickup any little dirt particles that are potentially harmful to the paint.

3. Wash again with a good car wash soap. Most are good enough IMO.

4. Polish with a good sealant or a good liquid wax with sealant.

5. I finish it off with a good carnuba wax.

The whole effort takes me about 2-3 solid hours of elbow-grease, but it's well worth it. Again, I'm no expert, by any means, but this works for me. After that, I use a good spray every other week to keep the shine and full wax again every 4-6 months.

Good luck. :nogrinner

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page