Custom Boss 302 Brake Duct Kits - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Custom Boss 302 Brake Duct Kits

Hi guys,

I'm a new owner of a 2012 GT ('bout a month now) and I can no longer ignore the aftermarket parts itch. I have a boss front fascia that I will be installing on the car shortly, and I am in the process of making my own kit for the brake vent ducts. $400 on ebay seemed ridiculous for a relatively simple bracket and tubing.

I have access to a laser cutter, welder, and powdercoat setup at my workplace and would be able to produce these brackets precisely and in small to very large quantities very simply. My question is, if I was able to offer a kit for say, $175-200, would any of you guys be interested? Even if I get only a few responses, I'll plan on making a few kits instead of just one.

Thanks,

Dylan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
J Orbit

I'm in the process of pricing out a duct kit for my V6. I can get everything I need from Ford for under $250. JMHO: You should try for a lower price point if you want to compete with that.

*The prices in this PDF are much higher than other places.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf cooling duct part list http.pdf (74.0 KB, 155 views)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback, and for posting the PDF!

I don't know a price for the kit until I build one and track the time costs, so take my $175-200 as very preliminary. The biggest money sinks would be the TIG welding of the duct tube to the flat bracket and the powdercoating. MIG welding would be even faster/cheaper, but it would look like crap.

I used to do small parts runs like this a lot for a 1970-1974 Dodge Challenger message board I was a part of. Parts were either unavailable or priced through the roof. I'm not in it for a gigantic profit. I'm into these cars for fun!

Speak up if you're interested guys!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
Grimace427

Fabricated brake ducts into my Roush Fascia - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

If you were going to design and fabricate your own duct kit, make it compatible with different front fascias and you will have a competitive edge. So far the only buyable kit is for the CS fascia and the link I posted is for the Roush but was custom made. Once I start doing track days I will be looking for a duct kit as well.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
GT Member

If you can figure out how to make a duct kit work with NACA ducts or some such for the standard GT fascia, that would be a real winner.

Otherwise you can get the brand name Boss part for $215.

2010-12 Mustang Ford Racing Boss 302 Brake Cooling Duct Kit, M-2004-Mb at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

2011 401a Brembo Electronics HID
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Wow, couldn't find a link that cheap for the ducts!

As far as the different fascias-

When I take off my GT fascia and have some time to play around, I will know more, but I don't think it's a big deal for a spider bracket that holds the duct tube in one of the forward openings. The downside on a stock GT fascia is no one ever knows you have the ducts unless they look reeeally closely.

Other fascias I have no problem doing custom fab work for, IF you feel like driving out into the boonies of Eastern Connecticut so I can do it on the car.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chally72 View Post
The downside on a stock GT fascia is no one ever knows you have the ducts unless they look reeeally closely.
That could be a good thing in certain circles
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chally72 View Post
Wow, couldn't find a link that cheap for the ducts!

As far as the different fascias-

When I take off my GT fascia and have some time to play around, I will know more, but I don't think it's a big deal for a spider bracket that holds the duct tube in one of the forward openings. The downside on a stock GT fascia is no one ever knows you have the ducts unless they look reeeally closely.

Other fascias I have no problem doing custom fab work for, IF you feel like driving out into the boonies of Eastern Connecticut so I can do it on the car.
I couldn't find a way to get TO the forward openings. The front end is sealed pretty well.

2011 401a Brembo Electronics HID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page