2012 burning oil - dealers wants to see car? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
2012 burning oil - dealers wants to see car?

I called today just to find out what oil they use since there were 2 listed (according to my husband). The car is about a quart low on oil and has a little over 1300 miles on it. Oil life shows 89%. Talked to my dealership today, and they want to see the car. Advised me against putting oil in it and just bring it to them? Anybody know what this could be about?

Laura
Ordered 1/3/11
Built 4/15/11
Delivered: 4/28/11
2012 GT Prem MT lava red/lava red 400a
Nav/electronics/HID/comfort/brembo/accessory pkg 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Sounds like they just want to see why it's that low on oil so soon.

Sounds like they are being good at customer service.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
PONY Member

You should take it in just so it can documented. I've added half a quart myself at 2500 miles. I dunno about the whole don't add oil til we see it thing.

2012 GT Black Premium 6MT, 20" Black Foose Nitrous Staggered.

MODS: Airaid CAI, 93 BAMA Performance Tune, Roush Axle-Backs, GT500 Splash Guards, Shorty Antenna, Steeda Black Shift Knob, Extra Chrome Trim, 3rd Brake Light Decal, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge w/ Roush Vent Pod, Valetine 1.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
Apprentice

New cars frequently consume oil during the break-in period. Take it to the dealer to be checked and have them put more of whatever they used in the original install. Make sure they use the same oil, ask them about it. Don't let them just pump from whatever big tub is available.

And make sure to do the break-in correctly.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
Apprentice

My GT500 used about a quart in the first 1000 miles and hasn't used a drop since. By all means take it in if you have time, but I doubt it's cause for alarm. If it uses a quart during the next thousand miles then I'd definitely take in it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
I called today just to find out what oil they use since there were 2 listed (according to my husband). The car is about a quart low on oil and has a little over 1300 miles on it. Oil life shows 89%. Talked to my dealership today, and they want to see the car. Advised me against putting oil in it and just bring it to them? Anybody know what this could be about?
Hi Laura,

I have 900km (somewhere around 600 miles) and I'm down 1/2 quart. I expected that. New engines tend to use a bit until the rings fully seat.

Same happened to the Hemi in the Road Runner after I rebuilt it. First thousand miles or so it used a quart. Now it goes all season without losing any oil.

I just went to the Ford dealer and picked up a quarter of the Premium semi-synthetic 5W20 and topped it up. I'll put synthetic in it after the first oil change.

I'm tired of shows about vampires. I want to see killer umpires!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
PONY Member

The current level has little importance, unless it had been previously observed to be at a specific level.

The level should be inspected and maintained as per the Owner's Manual.

If the level is observed to be good, then observed to be low after a short time / mileage duration, then there is a possible problem.

2011 GT Mustang - Performance White / Brick Red - Cashmere : 401A : Brembo : Electronics PKG : Spoiler Delete : 3.73:1 : Glass Roof : Comfort PKG : Security PKG : HID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page