Dressing-Up My 5.0 - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2VipeRS View Post
I just finished my stripes this morning about 1am. Loving my "pseudo-Boss" look
That's very well done VipeRS. Can't argue with matte on black!

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

It's done. Today I installed a set of red Express Graphics on the hood of my Mustang. The job went well, but I have some tips for those of you brave enough to do this:

1. Immediately before starting the job, read all of the instructions, especially the "Don't Do" items because there will be some small bubbles and wrinkles in the graphic that you cannot get out with the squeegee. According to the instructions, small bubbles and wrinkles will come out by themselves;

2. Gather materials before starting and loose the cell phone because you need to work continuously and efficiently (not fast). You will need:
  • bottle of Original Dawn Liquid Soap;
  • Naptha;
  • a squeegee;
  • painters tape;
  • a measuring tape;
  • scissors;
  • an Xacto knife with a #11 blade;
  • a felt tip marking pen;
  • a quart spray bottle to spray on the wetting agent (Dawn soap & water mixture);
  • a one-gallon bottle to mix the Dawn soap;
  • clean micro-fiber towel;
  • paper towels.
3. Although the there is a body line down the center of the 2011 - 2012 Mustang hood, it is difficult to mark it with tape because the line is shallow. Measure from the side edge of the hood to be sure you have the center;

4. Do a really good job cleaning the hood with Naptha. I did it 10 times using a new paper towel each time;

5. Do a good job of dry fitting the graphics. Use tape to along the edges of the backing paper to reposition the graphic on installation. Take measurements from body edges to assure symmetry. Put marks across the tape and the backing paper to assure the graphic will properly go back on later in the process;

6. When you peel off the backing paper, thoroughly wet the sticky surface of the graphic using the spray bottle. This enables sliding the graphic into position on the car;

7. Position the graphic on the car assuring all of your alignment marks match, and wet the top paper using the spray bottle;

8. Squeegee the decal to get the wetting mixture out from under the graphic. Keep the top surface wet to lubricate the squeegee;

9. Do all of the trimming while the backing is still on top of the graphic;

10. Carefully peel away the top paper. It may be necessary to put the top paper down over a spot that has a water bubble or wrinkle to squeegee it out. Don't run the squeegee on the graphic surface;

11. There were some bubbles that I thought were too large to go away without some help. I pin-pricked these with the Xacto knife blade point and pressed the wetting agent out;

Now its time to wait for the graphics to cure and see if the small bubbles and wrinkles go away as the instructions indicate. More to follow.

Bobby B, a patriotic Long Island Senior Citizen who drives a 2011 5.0 Premium GT Coupe, all black, 6-speed MT82, 3.55:1 differential, Bama 87S Tune, 18" diameter wheels, Pirelli P-Zeros, Comfort & Security Packages, spoiler delete.
God, please bless the USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page