Best Video Format for 2012 Nav screen - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Best Video Format for 2012 Nav screen

What is the best video format to record in to watch tv shows/podcasts on the nav screen.
I spend a lot of time sitting in the car at times and use it to catch up on shows. Standard DVD format works well, but was wondering if anyone is using other video modes.

One thing I was thinking of doing to make it easy was to split rear camera feed so I could simply put the car in reverse and watch the video feed off my iPOD without having to burn DVD's. I don't know any other way to get video from the iPOD into the nav screen. I know this may be very limited concern to other owners, but would greatly appreciate any input.
...HM

2012 GT Grabber Blue Vert, 6MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011
PONY Member

Here's my suggestion - burn a DVD full of various formats and see what the system will actually play. AS far as I know, there is no published list of supported formats. Start with Windows friendly formats first.

2011 Sterling Grey MCA Performance Package with Glass Roof/Nav/HID/Every Factory Option...

Mods: Infinity 6832cfs|93 Octane stock|DynoMax 39507 Cat-Back|35% tint|Roush rear valance
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011
Banned

I've burned many home made videos to DVD and they all work on my Navi, but they all were MPEG-2 encoded to look like commercial DVDs. I haven't tried any other formats. Can't help you with the iPOD either. I don't even know what format the iPOD exports? You might want to invest in a lock pick? I hacked my system using my own pick design, but used the lock pick as a guide. I can see the rearview camera at any time, input navi destinations while in motion and use the DVD while in motion.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thats a good idea about burning different video formats to a DVD. I guess I'll just collect 4gigs of video formats and see what shows.

I might go the lockpick way if I have to. I've seen some installs that you can view up to 4 cameras on the screen and dvd's by pushing steering wheel buttons while moving. Can't say this is for me.
All I really need is to be able to display iPOD video/audio instead of rear camera video while stationary.

It would be nice to hear from someone who has already done this before jumping in with both feet.
Any other ideas welcome.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymonkey View Post
Thats a good idea about burning different video formats to a DVD. I guess I'll just collect 4gigs of video formats and see what shows.

I might go the lockpick way if I have to. I've seen some installs that you can view up to 4 cameras on the screen and dvd's by pushing steering wheel buttons while moving. Can't say this is for me.
All I really need is to be able to display iPOD video/audio instead of rear camera video while stationary.

It would be nice to hear from someone who has already done this before jumping in with both feet.
Any other ideas welcome.
Some things to bear in mind with the lock pick:

Has no effect on playable formats and if you already have a factory rearview cam, you cannot add another one. It's in their fine print. If you didn't have the factory rear cam, then you can not only add one but a second one!! Weird, huh?

2011 Sterling Grey MCA Performance Package with Glass Roof/Nav/HID/Every Factory Option...

Mods: Infinity 6832cfs|93 Octane stock|DynoMax 39507 Cat-Back|35% tint|Roush rear valance
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by addison1062 View Post
Some things to bear in mind with the lock pick:

Has no effect on playable formats and if you already have a factory rearview cam, you cannot add another one. It's in their fine print. If you didn't have the factory rear cam, then you can not only add one but a second one!! Weird, huh?
That's not quite true. On my Super Duty I have a factory rear view camera as well as a lock pick that has another camera. That camera is mounted on the front bumper, but the lock pick doesn't know where it is. It could very easily be looking out the back along with the factory camera.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Just an update
As far as I can tell, to watch video on the nav screen you have to burn dvd's in standard DVD format. None of the xvid, avi, mp4 compression schemes worked. Looks like I will be using the component out of the ipod and switching the backup camera input when I want to watch the iPOD.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page