Noise after KW V3 Coilover install - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Noise after KW V3 Coilover install

Hi guys,

I'm a bit desperate here, hoping somebody may have come across this issue....

I got my Stang' about a month ago, and instantly wanted to get some suspension work done. Alas, last week I ordered a set of KW V3's, and had them installed this afternoon.

So, though the feel of the suspension is outstanding, I'm concerned about a strange noise I'm now getting.

It sort of sounds like a heat shielf making light contact with the rotor. Kind of a hissing sound. It's definitely wheel speed actuated; definitely not braking or engine speed and as far as I can tell it's coming from both sides.

I put it on the lift earlier today and couldn't see anything that looks out of wack at all. It's not the heat shields.

My plan for the moment is to let the new suspension settle in a bit and take it for an alignment in a week and pray. Thing is, this is coming from the rear, and I toyed around with the pan hard bar to see if I could get anything to change at all and couldn't so I'm worried this is not going to help. I'd honestly be surprised.

If anybody has any ideas whatsoever I would really really appreciate it.

I'm going to take a video tomorrow and hopefully the sound shows up on it so I can show everyone.

I have to get this figured out. It's not incredibly loud, but it's a noise that shouldn't be there and that alone is enough to drive me batty.

I read internet forums because I love objective opinions about subjective topics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011
Apprentice

Subscribed! Does the noise sound like it pulsates? Obviously with speed it would seem like one constant sound but at lower speeds does it "hiss..stop..hiss..stop". Usually when the sound does this it means you either A have warped rotors or B the brakes are not mounted correctly causing an irregular contact on the pad/rotor.

2012 Base Performance White GT, Brembos, 3.55's
-Boss Steering wheel, MGW shifter
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it.

It's definitely not the brakes. I've had an almost identical sound from bad brakes before, but not this time. Pressing on the brakes has absolutely no bearing on the noise whatsoever. Also, I had NEVER heard this prior to the coilover install, and after, it's constant.

I feel like it's axle related or something. I don't have much negative camber at all but it almost seems like when the rear end was lowered it started dragging somewhere. Like something isn't straight or something.

I read internet forums because I love objective opinions about subjective topics.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011
Grimace427

Rear axle alignment is very important after lowering the car. I installed not just the adjustable panhard bar but also adjustable lower control arms as well to perfectly center my rear axle and help get my overall alignment perfect.

A few things I can think of that would produce the sound you describe is the parking brake cable where it snakes to the rear caliper, the main brake line against the tire(if you might have forgotten to bolt it back to the body), or the fenderliner against the tire.

I had the latter as my right tire came too far forward going over bumps. For you might vote goes to the parking brake cable.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Yeah I feel ya on the alignment.

I think for now the plan is to just let the springs settle in a bit, align it next week, and hope that does it.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Ryan View Post
Yeah I feel ya on the alignment.

I think for now the plan is to just let the springs settle in a bit, align it next week, and hope that does it.
oh,

no! doom

how are the brakes?

beers

lurking for knowledge 04rx8 track car, 12 GTI dsg daily driver

2015 eco boost with track pack = rx8 on track, but with power????????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page