MT-82 Update from Shelby Mustang Factory - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thumbs up MT-82 Update from Shelby Mustang Factory

Took a tour of the Shelby Mustang factory in Vegas today and it was an awesome experience. Just for the record, I talked to the general sales manager and shot the breeze with two techs building the GT350s rated at 525 HP and they stated that they have had zero issues with the MT-82 and no complaints from owners so far. I asked if they at least upgraded the clutch for the supercharged cars and they stated there were no upgrades needed for the tranny or clutch.

Very interesting and just another data point for folks concerned about the supposedly glass MT-82.

2011 Premium GT/Sterling Gray/M6/Brembos/Tech/ HIDs/Comfort/Security/Back up camera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Wow, would love to do that. Read about that car. Baddest Mustang ever and is able to hook up like no other. It's performance is my goal.

Really like them Cragars, too.

No real issues w/my MT-82 yet (2200 miles), but sometimes wish I had just a little more clutch.

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Fastredponycar

I'm willing to bet that any of these techs and engineers interacting with the public have been coached on what to say and what not to say.

2012 GT Premuim - Candy Metallic Red, MT82, Comfort package, Reverse Camera, Brembos and 3.73's.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

373 RWHP / 356 TQ - Stock on 87 octane

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
PONY Member

^^^^ +1

They would never lie to sell their product to the public. Why, no company would I'd bet. That would be dishonest!

Mods don't matter.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I don't see that as the case. Maybe the general sales manager, but not the techs. I was actually not supposed to bother them, but had a chance while everyone was signing their names on the wall in the Shelby factory. These guys were just down to earth gearheads who have built and upgraded hundreds of Shelby's.

It would be cake for Shelby to put in at least a new clutch based on the extensive surgery these cars undergo, but they saw and still see no need based on endurance testing. I think that is quite telling.

2011 Premium GT/Sterling Gray/M6/Brembos/Tech/ HIDs/Comfort/Security/Back up camera
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
^^^^ +1

They would never lie to sell their product to the public. Why, no company would I'd bet. That would be dishonest!
LOL! I can't wait for them to solve the issue mine is getting worse.

2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium Performance Package with Equipment Package 201A
MODS: Roush Cold Air Intake
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
Apprentice

Do you really think they would tell you if anything bad or out of the ordinary was happening? Get real.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VGT View Post
Do you really think they would tell you if anything bad or out of the ordinary was happening? Get real.
Yeah, I do think these guys were being honest. They were actually telling me how much better of a buy the GT350 was over the Shelby GT500 Super Snake. They stated you get 98% of the same performance at 55% the price. So promoting the cheaper version and dissing their top of the line car is not exactly toeing the company line.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Oh please, we all know the MT82 is complete crap!

You obviously have quit readin the rough transmission thread.

Current Ride: 2014 RAM 1500 SPORT
Toy: 89 RX7-Turbo (Future LS Swap)
PONY Member

Definitely would need a aftermarket clutch.

Ford Racing K-springs & dampeners. UPR Street adjustable UCA. UMI LCA & bolt in relocation brackets. Comp Eng. panhard.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafreeze View Post
Wow, would love to do that. Read about that car. Baddest Mustang ever and is able to hook up like no other. It's performance is my goal.

Really like them Cragars, too.

No real issues w/my MT-82 yet (2200 miles), but sometimes wish I had just a little more clutch.
I'm with you on that. 18,500+ miles and no problems at all, and I do beat on it for a six-banger. I guess I was one of the fortunate ones who got a decent tranny.

I have enough clutch; just wish I had the torque.

HOWEVER, if I ever supercharged this thing, I would want to beef up as much of the drive train as I could, as I'm under no illusions AT ALL that the MT-82 is "bullet proof." Not even close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page