Lowering question, do you think I will run into issues? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Lowering question, do you think I will run into issues?

I have decided I am going to hold off on going with new struts and shocks and just replace the springs for now.

But my concern is this, I really LOVE the drop on the FRPP "K" springs but my rear tires stick out past the fender maybe a 1/4" of an inch if that. I realize that I would have rubbing issues if the fender were to ever come down to the tires, but I figure I would have to really hit a bump pretty fast and hard to move it that far.

Looking at the car if I go with a 1.5" drop that will leave me with about 1.5" clearance, do you think that will be ok?

The only reason I ask is the "P" springs 1" drop doesn't seem worth the money to me. And my next choice would be the Steeda Ultralites at 1.2" front and 1.4" rear but they are about 80 bucks more.

Any input?

Thanks all,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I have the FRPP "p" springs and my car looks great! It hunkers it down so it doesnt look like a 4x4 but isnt so low that I scrape over speed bumps or going up driveways. The 20 inch Shelbys fit nicely inside the wheel wells too and I have never had a rubbing issue.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 259.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	133120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 286.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	133121  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
Apprentice

I think what ever springs you go with, it will be fine.
What I do recommend is that you also replace the dampers too. I don't think the stock dampers can handle the higher springs rates of lowered springs.
It can be done but the ride and handling will suffer greatly. If you are going this far, do it right the first time and be done.
Here is mine on Steeda Ultralites and Tokiko D-specs, it lowered the front 1" and the rear 1 1/4".

2011 Mustang GT 5.0: Performance White: Brembos: 3.73: 6sp: GT/CS front fascia: Boss 302 splitter: Roush billet grill: Steeda Ultralites: Tokiko D-spec : GT500 strut mounts: UMI adj.panbar: Steeda Billet LCA: Hurst Billet Plus Shifter: Airaid CAI: SCT Tuner w/Bama custom tune: Roush axle back:

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
Rookie

Lowered mine with the FRPP P springs with no issues whatsoever and the drop was plenty. Definitely a noticeable difference in handling and appearance. I believe as long as you don't go any lower than this, the stock components will be fine.

2011 Race Red GT, 6MT, 3.73s, Brembo upgrade, FRPP-P springs
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Replacing the stock dampner is a great idea but not always needed. Shocks/struts just keep tires from tramping over rough roads and from excess oscillation like when going over expansion joints on the freeway. lowering the ride height doesnt make shocks/struts work any harder just works them at a different height.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Personally, I don't like the idea of dropping the car on stock dampeners if the tires stick out past the fenders. And remember, the left tire is gonna stick out more like .5-.75" if you don't install an adjustable panhard bar.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharad View Post
Personally, I don't like the idea of dropping the car on stock dampeners if the tires stick out past the fenders. And remember, the left tire is gonna stick out more like .5-.75" if you don't install an adjustable panhard bar.
Already have the adjustable PHB
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifftech View Post
Already have the adjustable PHB
Then what is the concern? What size wheels and offset are you running?

Ford Racing K-springs & dampeners. UPR Street adjustable UCA. UMI LCA & bolt in relocation brackets. Comp Eng. panhard.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshiznitzj View Post
Then what is the concern? What size wheels and offset are you running?
I am running 20x10s with 295/30/20 on them. The offset is +38. My concern is that currently the left side is already out 1/4 of an inch the right is out maybe a 1/8th of an inch. All the PHB will do is allow me to split the difference between the 2 sides, so I will end up with about 3/16ths out on each side. I took a level and placed it on the fender and made sure it was plumb and slid it down till it touched the tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page