Speedometer accuracy/calibration - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Speedometer accuracy/calibration

Has anyone bothered to check the accuracy of the speedometer in the new Mustangs, using GPS or some other method?

I know the speedo needle is a little bit hard to read precisely anyway, but I'm just curious if it's reasonably accurate...within 1-2 MPH.

Some cars, even new ones, tend to be way off. BMW tends to make their speedos read higher than actual speed by quite a bit.

2011 Kona Blue GT Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
MACH I Member

Yes. If you an android, get GPS Essentials. It's amazing.

The speedometer is adjusted to compensate for parallax error.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
Apprentice

The stangs have an engineering test mode and it shows you the digital readout vs analog. On mine when im doing 80 on the digital speedo, the analog shows 83, so I know it's a bit off. Then again I have 3.73's and 19" rims stock so idk if that has anything to do with it.

Do a forum/utube search for engineering mode and it'll show you how to do it.

Ordered: 2.21.12 VIN: 3.23.12 Build: 4.13.12 ETA: 4.22.12
2013 GT Premium. 6MT. Deep Impact Blue. Recaros, Nav, Track Pack, Reverse sensing, Backup Camera. Borla S-Type Axlebacks, WeatherTech floor mats, Ford Racing K Springs, BMR Adj. Panhard, Upper and lower billet grille.

12.10.2011 RIP: 2012 GT Prem, Kona Blue, 6M, 3.73's, reverse sensing package, premium wheels, Grabberpony Shift Knob, WeatherTech floor mats, BOSS valence and splitter, Saleen Grille, HID's, Roush Axlebacks.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Sky is right, to a point, if you have the car in engineering mode, you can also use it for a digital tach. If you know what rpm's the engine is turning, and you know the internal transmission gear ratios / axle ratio are, and you know how many revolutions occur per mile for your tires, then this is a piece of cake to figure out. I do not look at my speedometer, just my tach, the speedometer is just there to appease the wife, and it's way off!! I have a spreadsheet of rpms/gears/MPH printed out, highlighted, and underlined at key points clipped on my sunvisor for reference(cheat sheet).

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
GT Member

i use my radar instead of the speedometer

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

How do you get into this "engineering test mode?"

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
Rookie

Hold reset when you start it up. When it says engineering test mode you release reset. It will do a guage test and your speedo and rpm needles will go wonky. Then you use input to cycle through until you get to the digital speedo.

2012 GT Premium Coupe, Kona Blue, Charcoal interior, Auto

Ordered: 5/6
Built: 5/31
Eta: 6/12
Took Delivery: 6/11
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgator28 View Post
Hold reset when you start it up. When it says engineering test mode you release reset. It will do a guage test and your speedo and rpm needles will go wonky. Then you use input to cycle through until you get to the digital speedo.
That's wild. I'm assuming it goes back to normal when you restart the car?

Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAKATed10 View Post
That's wild. I'm assuming it goes back to normal when you restart the car?
Yes it does.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

What else can you do with this feature?

BOSS Member

Garage
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the video. I think I just found a reason to run an errand this evening.

This would be helpful on long trips or when you know your route includes a speed trap.

And I agree the Mustang speedo is kind of hard to read, it encourages me to speed. Yes, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page