Suspension: what's the weak link in the stock setup? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Suspension: what's the weak link in the stock setup?

Brembo setup, getting a lot of boat float at freeway speeds (sorry for the broken record, but ... I'm used to german car brittle-ass suspensions), enough that my wife is starting to get car sick on longer trips.

My first inclination is that the dampers are too soft but wanted to see if anyone knows for sure before I go buying parts.

How's the Ford motorsport stuff stack up against brembo stock? Lot stiffer, just a little bit stiffer?

I actually find the softer ride pleasant compared to my previous cars (or the wife's Q7 with air suspension that feels like it's filled with rocks) but every now and then you hit a expansion joint just right and the whole car floats around and bounces a couple of times before settling. That's what I'm looking to get rid of.

From what I gather, if I swap the suspension for something with shorter springs I'll need a new adjustable panhard bar? And shops should know how to adjust it yeah?

2012 GT Premium Convertible 401A Kona Blue Charcoal w/Grabber Blue 6spd manual Brembo Comfort HID Reverse Sensing Rearview Camera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinmyhead View Post
Brembo setup, getting a lot of boat float at freeway speeds (sorry for the broken record, but ... I'm used to german car brittle-ass suspensions), enough that my wife is starting to get car sick on longer trips.
LMAO! You got to be kidding me!

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Stiffen it up and she's bound to complain about her back hurting.
I'd say if you are looking to stiffen the suspension lower it the same way others have done.

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
MACH I Member

From what I've heard, getting street shocks n struts will greatly improve the suspension.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
I'd say if you are looking to stiffen the suspension lower it the same way others have done.
But need some indication of how much stiffer it'll be. To me the brembo susp is pillow soft, but they might've recalibrated for the convertible too?

Quote:
LMAO! You got to be kidding me!
I'm not. But, like I said, her daily driver is a Q7 and that thing is brutally stiff compared to my car.

2012 GT Premium Convertible 401A Kona Blue Charcoal w/Grabber Blue 6spd manual Brembo Comfort HID Reverse Sensing Rearview Camera
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinmyhead View Post
But need some indication of how much stiffer it'll be. To me the brembo susp is pillow soft, but they might've recalibrated for the convertible too?
Shocks and struts are a day and night difference on these cars. They might be THE "weak link". But I hesitate to make a suggestion if you think your wife's car is "brutally stiff" from the factory.

To me, adjustable struts and shocks along with springs that don't have a crazy high rate, are an excellent addition to the car. Sway bars are a nice way to improve cornering without going crazy with the spring rate.

The upper and lower control arms are also a weak link on these cars. Even our street style control arms are a huge improvement over the factory control arms. (our Pro Series are really nice, but they increase NVH, so they're not as common for the street-going crowd) 2011 Ford Mustang GT V6 Chrome Moly Street Upper & Lower Control Arm Package - UPR Products

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
PONY Member

They have a video out where they test the GT vs the new M3 and the driver said afterwards that the dampening felt soft on the Mustang. Other then the dampening he didn't have much neagtive to say about it.

You can look at the mod's I've done at the moment the rear of the car is very tight and no wheel hop. It just feels solid and I haven't added sway bars, shocks or springs yet.

I'm torn between going with springs, strut/shock combo with sway bars or going for the Steeda Coil over setup with sway bars.

2014 Mustang GT MT/3:73 Gears/Brembo Brake Package
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011
PONY Member

Wasn't aware you could get Brembos with the convertible.

Anyway, struts control the "pogoing" effect you're describing, and many people have complained that they're too soft. If you replace the struts (and rear shocks) with some Tokicos or Konis I think you'll find that your ride's a little better.

2012 GT Premium Coupe 6MT
Kona Blue | Black/Grabber Blue
401A | 3.55 | BBP | CP | SP | EP | GR | HID | RVC | RSS | "Piss 5ohwhoa off"
Delivered 07MAR11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page