P.I. Torque converter - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

P.I. Torque converter

Hey all. New here and just want to ask a question. Is anyone running a high stall converter. I was thinking about getting a new P.I. 3200 stall converter and would like your opinion on how you like it. Or if you have another brand how do you like it. Seems like most are running circle-D. I don't have any experience with circle-d's. But I have run a few P.I.'s and had really good luck and track times. Also do you think 3200 is high enough stall speed ? Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

The Circle D is a top notch unit, totally the best build quality and materials.

Chris Sehorn, the owner of Circle D, is a buddy of mine.

They were the first ones out with a performance converter for the 6R80 and there are none better.

Go for the 4000 stall, since it locks up in 3rd gear it won't be too much because it spends so little time in 1st and 2nd on the street.

Add and extra HD transmission oil cooler though.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011
PONY Member

Sorry for the noob question about the 6R80 but what are the advantages to swapping out the stall converters / and choosing different RPM's?

I have a basic understanding of how auto trannies work. Is the just something that would help at the drag strip, or would it make a noticeable difference in a daily driver, too?

Thanks!

2012 Mustang GT Premium - Lava Red - Lava Red interior - 6R80 - Glass Roof - HID/SP - EP - RVC - RSS - CP - Remote Start
Ordered 4/30/11 VIN 5/26/11 Sticker Online 6/2/11 Build 6/8/11 ETA 6/29/11 ETA2 7/4/11 ETA3 7/11/11 Delivered 7/13/11

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I installed a P.I.2,500 and a level 10 trans3 years ago with over 750rwhp (not including 2-150 shots NOS) and have had no complaints to date with it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Sorry for the noob question about the 6R80 but what are the advantages to swapping out the stall converters / and choosing different RPM's?

I have a basic understanding of how auto trannies work. Is the just something that would help at the drag strip, or would it make a noticeable difference in a daily driver, too?

Thanks!
It's mostly helpful in a racing situation. A higher stall speed in the torque converter allows the engine to get closer to it's power peak rpm before the converter gets to its hydraulic locking point rpm, making for better acceleration.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Also do you think 3200 is high enough stall speed
That will depend on what you are planning to do as far as mod's to the car. What are your plans? Where in Florida are you? As far as brand goes Circle D has been the only company which so far has been making converters for the 6R80. I see on the P.I. website it shows coming soon. I had never heard of them before, but there reputation is good. Glad to see another company getting involved to create some competition. I know everyone says Circle D 's are the best and I would say so since we have nothing to compare it too. It's also got a hefty price tag at $1095.00.
Just my thoughts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

PI converters are expensive too, probably will be right inline with Circle D.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201250 View Post
That will depend on what you are planning to do as far as mod's to the car. What are your plans? Where in Florida are you? As far as brand goes Circle D has been the only company which so far has been making converters for the 6R80. I see on the P.I. website it shows coming soon. I had never heard of them before, but there reputation is good. Glad to see another company getting involved to create some competition. I know everyone says Circle D 's are the best and I would say so since we have nothing to compare it too. It's also got a hefty price tag at $1095.00.
Just my thoughts.
Thanks all. I think its going to be Whipple charged. Built engine, street driven. Not to radical. I called PI and they said 1079.00 and they had them in stock. Just needed to update the website. I ran a P.I. in my Lightning and it was a killer converter. Looks like both are priced about the same. I'll probably buy a P.I. just from experience. Both are good converters I'm sure.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
PI converters are expensive too, probably will be right inline with Circle D.
Well so much for any price drop due to competition. I guess they'll all be in the $1000+ range
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page