Sound Tube Mod Fail... - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Honestly, i did this mod and the sound was more annoying than anything so i put the foam pieces back. This coming from someone that loves loud exhaust and had dumps(turn downs) on my previous two stangs.

2011 Race Red GT, 6MT, 3.73s, Brembo upgrade, FRPP-P springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MACH I Member

Hmmm....if I bore a hole in the firewall between the engine and the passenger compartment in my V6, will it have the same effect as this sound tube in the GT?

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr87 View Post
Hmmm....if I bore a hole in the firewall between the engine and the passenger compartment in my V6, will it have the same effect as this sound tube in the GT?
lol.

no.

The sound tube runs to the air box to pipe intake noise into the cabin.

2011 401a Brembo Electronics HID

MACH I Member

Hmmm....intake noise, eh. What if I want to hear exhaust noise inside the cabin? Can I run a tube from the exhaust into the passenger compartment? :kooky:

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgchem View Post
I guess I don't either, if there is an easier way of doing this . What clamp are you talking about?
Where the firewall tube hooks to the diaphragm.

PONY Member

Do most people remove this... I'm pretty sure I'm going to and figured that most guys do, but I'm getting the feeling that most leave it alone... A poll is in order, I think!

2012 Mustang GT Premium - Lava Red - Lava Red interior - 6R80 - Glass Roof - HID/SP - EP - RVC - RSS - CP - Remote Start
Ordered 4/30/11 VIN 5/26/11 Sticker Online 6/2/11 Build 6/8/11 ETA 6/29/11 ETA2 7/4/11 ETA3 7/11/11 Delivered 7/13/11
GT Member
S197 Member

i did the mod without a problem. you dont have to take out the metal clips. When i got the intake manifold and cai i took out the entire tube and pluged the hole on the intake.

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Anyone who took theirs completely off and wants to get rid of it send me a PM, I want one to experiment with. Need the whole thing, both tube pieces and the diaphragm assembly.

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my07clone View Post
wow - that is my experience to the letter

I dropped the J-clip (that's what it is called) into the frame somewhere - had to go get one, don't remeber the size but if you take the bolt they have them at local auto parts or maybe even hardware.

Nothing is ever as easy as it sound for me either

as far as seperating the two I just wedge a shim in where I had them unsnapped and worked my way around
Tried O'Reilly, Autozone, & Ace Hardware with no luck. Does it go by any other name?
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgchem View Post
Tried O'Reilly, Autozone, & Ace Hardware with no luck. Does it go by any other name?
They are either j-nuts or u-nuts and NAPA has them or can get them, they will come in a little bag of 10 or 12.

post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
They are either j-nuts or u-nuts and NAPA has them or can get them, they will come in a little bag of 10 or 12.
Thanks, looks like they have them at NAPA near me.
PONY Member

Some guys just can't leave good enough alone & gotta tinker with everything even when they don't know WTF they are doing

The Silent Majority always get slaughtered! It's always the small minority radicals that impose their will on the majority who don't speak up!
Americans have nothing to apologize for except for letting progressives force their will on the majority. :run_over:
GT Member

I do believe the foam pieces you are pulling are filters.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
I do believe the foam pieces you are pulling are filters.
Just noise filters (baffles), there is no airflow through the tube, that is why there is a diaphragm in that housing in the middle of the tube, keeps any air from flowing to the air inlet.

post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poneyup View Post
Some guys just can't leave good enough alone & gotta tinker with everything even when they don't know WTF they are doing
Got to learn somehow. Plus, there's not exactly a whole lot of car-damaging catastrophes that can happen from messing with the sound induction tube. If there's anything worth safely tinkering with, it's that tube .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page